Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Haven't touched a drop in...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

[QUOTE=nozzferrahhtoo;101480991.

Anyway that is my story. Dunno why I am posting it, but there ya go :) The nozzferrahhtoo is human too.[/QUOTE]

Hi nozz , glad to hear from you , every perspective is welcome on this thread imho - we need to constantly broaden the gene pool her to keep it new and refreshing .

I love your posts on other threads but I don't know whether I am terrified or elated that you have joined us here :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,348 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

Hah perhaps my user name is more apt than I thought then. Don't vampires bring a mix of terror and elation in general? :)

What is the source of your terror? The fact I generally write posts too long for anyone sane to actually read? :-p

Hah perhaps my user name is more apt than I thought then. Don't vampires bring a mix of terror and elation in general? :)

What is the source of your terror? The fact I generally write posts too long for anyone sane to actually read? :-p

The forensic mind can be terrifying when one is just trying to get through the day using whatever is deemed helpful no matter how irrational :)

I always knew I was a bit insane but now you have confirmed it as I always read your posts right to the end .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

41 for me. Can't see me drinking again in 2016.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,348 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

marienbad wrote: »
    The forensic mind can be terrifying when one is just trying to get through the day using whatever is deemed helpful no matter how irrational :)

I always knew I was a bit insane but now you have confirmed it as I always read your posts right to the end .

Hehe, I think I know what you mean, and I hereby swear not to do what I think it is you are afraid I will do :-p

Perhaps it is not insanity so much as masochism? I have always had the sense you might have a streak of that about you :-p I can even see you now screaming "Whip me harder, harder..... no wait go extreme..... read me something from nozz!!! Arrrghhh it hurts so good".

• Advertisement

Hehe, I think I know what you mean, and I hereby swear not to do what I think it is you are afraid I will do :-p

Perhaps it is not insanity so much as masochism? I have always had the sense you might have a streak of that about you :-p I can even see you now screaming "Whip me harder, harder..... no wait go extreme..... read me something from nozz!!! Arrrghhh it hurts so good".

Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 2,560 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

Just on a year now, studying is keeping me busy (or driving me demented :pac:) whatever works :)

1031 days off alcohol today. And no it's not so miserable that I'm counting the days in my head each day! (How many days)

I honestly don't miss it in the slightest. I'd like to emphasis that to anybody who, like me, floated around discussion fora like this struggling to imagine their life post-alcohol.

I'd be far, far too busy and tired to go drinking even if I had the inclination. Nothing like having a busy job and a tiny helpless little leanbh who needs you to be strong and balanced to make you cop on to the waste and destruction of addiction. Another one on the way this Christmas so it's all fun and games here for the next few years at least.

Those years were definitely the most wasted years of my life. There is so much I could have done with my freedom other than fall into the imprisonment of drinking every day (it's an incredibly sneaky thing how you go from drinking once or twice a week to not being able to pass a day without it). Life is so, so, so short. A healthy life is even shorter still. Do something more amazing with your life than become a prisoner of alcohol. Some day you probably will be married with kids and you simply will not have the freedom that you have as a single person. Enjoy the incredible privilege of being able to sleep solid through the night, to lie on in the morning, the simple things you take for granted. Enjoy the freedom of going off to Vienna on a romantic weekend, of having the energy to talk with friends into the dead of night, of spending a month walking the Camino. Ditch the drink, grab your freedom and embrace the enormous advantages of being single before you settle down. I'm screaming this at you with that drink next to you, the old me.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭eamor

1031 days off alcohol today. And no it's not so miserable that I'm counting the days in my head each day! (How many days)

I honestly don't miss it in the slightest. I'd like to emphasis that to anybody who, like me, floated around discussion fora like this struggling to imagine their life post-alcohol.

I'd be far, far too busy and tired to go drinking even if I had the inclination. Nothing like having a busy job and a tiny helpless little leanbh who needs you to be strong and balanced to make you cop on to the waste and destruction of addiction. Another one on the way this Christmas so it's all fun and games here for the next few years at least.

Those years were definitely the most wasted years of my life. There is so much I could have done with my freedom other than fall into the imprisonment of drinking every day (it's an incredibly sneaky thing how you go from drinking once or twice a week to not being able to pass a day without it). Life is so, so, so short. A healthy life is even shorter still. Do something more amazing with your life than become a prisoner of alcohol. Some day you probably will be married with kids and you simply will not have the freedom that you have as a single person. Enjoy the incredible privilege of being able to sleep solid through the night, to lie on in the morning, the simple things you take for granted. Enjoy the freedom of going off to Vienna on a romantic weekend, of having the energy to talk with friends into the dead of night, of spending a month walking the Camino. Ditch the drink, grab your freedom and embrace the enormous advantages of being single before you settle down. I'm screaming this at you with that drink next to you, the old me.

I would love to thank this more than once ............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭The flying mouse

What a lovely positive and truthful post to read in the morning, Well done anamchesta you sound great :-)

just did that calculation of days and I have 2846 days, unbelievable, I so happy & grateful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭souls

Tonight i am extremely proud of a good friend of mine who completed the Dublin marathon today.
    He was on the same treatment program with me which we completed this time last year. There we went through a lot of struggles together. He continued on the aftercare program with me right up til my completion in sept just gone.
    To bear witness to the transformation of this remarkable man has being a true privilege
    his journey has mirrored my own in many respects and his strength has being inspirational to me. Recovery is beautiful. i can see it in others. Life is a gift.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭The Raptor

Haven't touched a drop in about 4 years.

Well actually that's when I decided no more drink. Maybe four years is a lie, this past year i maybe tried it twice. One time someone bought me a drink and i couldn't refuse, it would be rude if i left it there. The second time was last night. I had one glass of Bailey's and remember why i stopped drinking in the first place. I've been dying with a headache all day long and it's 3pm now and I'm finally feeling OK. Over one glass of Bailey's. That's the end of that. I like a clear head.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭ASoberThought

6 months today.

Life is much better although some days and weeks are tough but that's just life. Sometimes the negative self talk has it's way and I fail to see how far I have come but today happens to be a day in which gratitude comes easy. I've really accomplished a lot and have my son back in my life which was my main objective after getting sober for myself.

The moments in which I received the gift of desperation are still quite raw and this is the first time I've not got complacent while abstaining from drinking and drugging. I find as time goes on, the more dedicated I get to make this work and I will stay linked in with online support, fellow ships, positive people and continually playing the tape forward when an insane thought arises that sometimes says "It might be different this time".

The drink and drugs really add no value to anything. It's the biggest con of humanity.

I wish you all well.

6 months today.

Life is much better although some days and weeks are tough but that's just life. Sometimes the negative self talk has it's way and I fail to see how far I have come but today happens to be a day in which gratitude comes easy. I've really accomplished a lot and have my son back in my life which was my main objective after getting sober for myself.

The moments in which I received the gift of desperation are still quite raw and this is the first time I've not got complacent while abstaining from drinking and drugging. I find as time goes on, the more dedicated I get to make this work and I will stay linked in with online support, fellow ships, positive people and continually playing the tape forward when an insane thought arises that sometimes says "It might be different this time".

The drink and drugs really add no value to anything. It's the biggest con of humanity.

I wish you all well.

It most certainly is- Well done to you. I'm 5 weeks in, keeping it nice and simple....

Every morning I read through some inspirational quotes deciding which one to use for the day. Some have a more profound effect on me than others, and this morning I chose one about change, how we must be able to accept change in our lives if we wish to continue moving forward, to survive. Why is it that most of us fear change? Is it the fear of the unknown? Kind of like stepping into a room that is pitch black, not knowing what might be in there? Or is it being afraid of how people will think of us if we do change?

When I first quit drinking, I was afraid of what people would think of me. Lord knows I didn’t care what they thought of the drunk flying mouse, so why would I care what they thought of a sober flying mouse ? What answer would I give people who asked why I quit drinking ? Any answer would be admitting that I was a failure, that I wasn’t strong enough to be able to handle alcohol. Would people think less of me because of my problem ?

But I knew I had to change in order to survive, so I let the fear of change assist me in getting sober. I had no idea what a sober life would be like, but I sure knew what a drunk life was like and I didn’t want to stay there, so I changed. As I look back, that fear of the unknown probably hindered my progress on my journey, I wasn’t quite ready to give up the lifestyle I had enjoyed (and hated) for so many years. I had no idea what a sober life would really mean for me, but I was ready and willing to step into that pitch black room. I really didn’t see the changes in me at first, and what those changes were. I was too worried about how others would accept me. But as time went on and different people commented on the positive changes in me, I accepted the fact that I would have to continue to change, to accept the change, if I wanted to stay sober. I know see some of those changes, I’m more calm, more patient, find it easier to forgive and forget. I don’t need to control every aspect of my life. I’ve learned to accept things as they are, not always needing to make them into the things I want them to be. And it made my life a whole lot easier!

So don’t be afraid of change, look at is as a challenge, look at is as an opportunity. An opportunity to become something and someone you might never have been without stepping into that dark room. Be that person you want to be, and don’t worry about the person you were, be happy and love the person you are becoming…. :)

Every morning I read through some inspirational quotes deciding which one to use for the day. Some have a more profound effect on me than others, and this morning I chose one about change, how we must be able to accept change in our lives if we wish to continue moving forward, to survive. Why is it that most of us fear change? Is it the fear of the unknown? Kind of like stepping into a room that is pitch black, not knowing what might be in there? Or is it being afraid of how people will think of us if we do change?

When I first quit drinking, I was afraid of what people would think of me. Lord knows I didn’t care what they thought of the drunk flying mouse, so why would I care what they thought of a sober flying mouse ? What answer would I give people who asked why I quit drinking ? Any answer would be admitting that I was a failure, that I wasn’t strong enough to be able to handle alcohol. Would people think less of me because of my problem ?

But I knew I had to change in order to survive, so I let the fear of change assist me in getting sober. I had no idea what a sober life would be like, but I sure knew what a drunk life was like and I didn’t want to stay there, so I changed. As I look back, that fear of the unknown probably hindered my progress on my journey, I wasn’t quite ready to give up the lifestyle I had enjoyed (and hated) for so many years. I had no idea what a sober life would really mean for me, but I was ready and willing to step into that pitch black room. I really didn’t see the changes in me at first, and what those changes were. I was too worried about how others would accept me. But as time went on and different people commented on the positive changes in me, I accepted the fact that I would have to continue to change, to accept the change, if I wanted to stay sober. I know see some of those changes, I’m more calm, more patient, find it easier to forgive and forget. I don’t need to control every aspect of my life. I’ve learned to accept things as they are, not always needing to make them into the things I want them to be. And it made my life a whole lot easier!

So don’t be afraid of change, look at is as a challenge, look at is as an opportunity. An opportunity to become something and someone you might never have been without stepping into that dark room. Be that person you want to be, and don’t worry about the person you were, be happy and love the person you are becoming…. :)

wise words Mouse, and exactly what I needed this morning- thank you. x

So how is everyone doing ? Doesn't matter what your at if your still interested in non drinking , post away...

Just noticed something this morning, My friend was making a big mug of tea for me and when he gave it to me I said how many tea bags you put in that, he said one why ? I said one ,you should put in two as one is never enough...

Somethings don't change for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭clairewithani

I have fallen a few times lately. There haa been family sickness and arguments which I used an an excuse. New month, new life. Day six for me today.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Fingers Mcginty

Fell off the wagon after 26 days. Been on the tear since last Wednesday. Gonna try again today and hope to go to Christmas then and knock it on the head permanently in the new year.
    Anyone recommend a good book? I've read Allen Carr's book, Why you Drink and How to Stop, Kick the drink ,,,,easily , This naked mind. :)

• Advertisement

I have fallen a few times lately. There haa been family sickness and arguments which I used an an excuse. New month, new life. Day six for me today.
    Fell off the wagon after 26 days. Been on the tear since last Wednesday. Gonna try again today and hope to go to Christmas then and knock it on the head permanently in the new year.
    Anyone recommend a good book? I've read Allen Carr's book, Why you Drink and How to Stop, Kick the drink ,,,,easily , This naked mind. :)

Hi Clairewithani & Fingers mcginty

Are you putting in plans/escapes for when these excuses/temptations come along, as they will always come along, Is there anything you haven't tried yet to try & stop,(if that's what you want to do).Obviously you need to do something different in your goals.

Lots of links at the top of forum for you to check out :)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Good programme by Ross Kemp on Alcohol abuse in Britain on Pick channel right now.

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Good programme by Ross Kemp on Alcohol abuse in Britain on Pick channel right now.

You watch it yourself Jupiterkid ? What was your opinion's on it ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭clairewithani

I saw it. It was scary

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kunkka

maxresdefault.jpg

Hope you're all well

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭bikubesong

7 weeks for me today. I can hardly believe it.

It was hard hitting and grim. Could have been made into a series as so many aspects of alcohol abuse were covered but not in depth. There was an opinion expressed that the cheapness and availability of alcohol is a major contributor to the problem. It also featured recently set up detox clinics that are in operation in the UK - Ireland could follow from its example.

Look up Ross Kemp's Britain and alcohol - it might be on youtube.

Coming up on six weeks sober. It hasn't been easy but it's worth it. One day at a time.

• Advertisement

Good work bikubesong Jupiter. ..sure if it was easy we wouldn't be here... :-)

Advertisement