Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Haven't touched a drop in...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭The flying mouse

Hi folks how are we all doing ?

Doesn't matter where your at

Sharing is caring :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭FortySeven

After nearly 5 years of sobriety I have had a few months of sporadic drinking. It degenerated into months of daily drinking, mornings as well.

Back to square one with my sobriety. Didn't drink yesterday and I'm not drinking today.

One day at a time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Fingers Mcginty

Hit the reset button again after Saturday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭aabarnes1

FortySeven wrote: »
    After nearly 5 years of sobriety I have had a few months of sporadic drinking. It degenerated into months of daily drinking, mornings as well.

Back to square one with my sobriety. Didn't drink yesterday and I'm not drinking today.

One day at a time.
    Page 30 of the BB, chapter 3.

Hit the reset button again after Saturday night.

"Some of us pursued the insane idea that we could drink like normal folks, pursued it as far as the gates of insanity or death.":eek:

• Advertisement

aabarnes1 wrote: »
    Page 30 of the BB, chapter 3.

We are like men who have lost legs, they never grow new ones. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭scriba

45 days. I have toyed with stopping for the last five or six years, but I was drinking so infrequently over that time, that I thought my relationship with alcohol was okay. I love drinking when I drink. I could, and did, drink for days on end. But I hate myself afterwards. A sad clown. Great craic.

There was no climactic turning point that brought me to this. I attended a wedding and drank too much, had a great time, and spent the following week alone in myself, frightened, broken, sick, ashamed, and utterly detached from every solid and good thing in my life. And I suddenly knew that I could never put myself in this position ever again. I talked to my wife, and told her that I was done. Only the fourth time drinking this year! But it felt worse than ever. Maybe the fear is cumulative, until it reaches a point where it reaches in and tries to strangle you. I am happy that something in me was able to recognise that it was time to take action. I saw an internet meme with Skeletor a few weeks after that captured it perfectly: "My transformation begins with my being tired of my own bull****". Truth can pop out in the strangest places!

And so here I am. I think about alcohol from time to time, but not often. I can't say that I miss it, although some part of me must do: maybe the Christmas period will bring pressure, but I see my priorities so clearly, set against the alcoholism that wrecked my parents and annihilated my own childhood. My son will never have to deal with a drunken father or mother. He will not learn shame from me. And I might learn to manage my own shame in the process. :)

Best of luck to everyone here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

Hi folks how are we all doing ?

Doesn't matter where your at

Sharing is caring :-)

I done well for a while off the beer, now I haven't touched a drop of ordinary beer since I went off it, but I have fell off the wagon again and am drinking about 8 cans of guinness a day. I can't give it up, I tried and tried but am now salivating opening this next can. I feel grand though and also awake with no hangover, but, after the shock last time, I'll be taking a two week break starting tomorrow. I'm your typical alcoholic, even the thought of dying from liver disease doesn't get it through to me, not that I really give a sh!t to be honest. Death would be a release.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭bikubesong

58 days, a little over 8 weeks. I hope it is just the beginning of forever.

Having said that, I do take it one day at a time. ;) But it's certainly the longest period of sobriety I've ever had.

I done well for a while off the beer, now I haven't touched a drop of ordinary beer since I went off it, but I have fell off the wagon again and am drinking about 8 cans of guinness a day. I can't give it up, I tried and tried but am now salivating opening this next can. I feel grand though and also awake with no hangover, but, after the shock last time, I'll be taking a two week break starting tomorrow. I'm your typical alcoholic, even the thought of dying from liver disease doesn't get it through to me, not that I really give a sh!t to be honest. Death would be a release.

It's not a good place to be in Bongalongherb if you don't care about living ! What have you NOT tried in your attempts to stop ? I and I am sure many others here have been where you are at the moment,But listen there is hope and there is a way out of this, keep posting , read more of the threads here, also there is a sticky at the top of the forum with help numbers and advise.
    scriba wrote: »
    45 days. I have toyed with stopping for the last five or six years, but I was drinking so infrequently over that time, that I thought my relationship with alcohol was okay. I love drinking when I drink. I could, and did, drink for days on end. But I hate myself afterwards. A sad clown. Great craic.

There was no climactic turning point that brought me to this. I attended a wedding and drank too much, had a great time, and spent the following week alone in myself, frightened, broken, sick, ashamed, and utterly detached from every solid and good thing in my life. And I suddenly knew that I could never put myself in this position ever again. I talked to my wife, and told her that I was done. Only the fourth time drinking this year! But it felt worse than ever. Maybe the fear is cumulative, until it reaches a point where it reaches in and tries to strangle you. I am happy that something in me was able to recognise that it was time to take action. I saw an internet meme with Skeletor a few weeks after that captured it perfectly: "My transformation begins with my being tired of my own bull****". Truth can pop out in the strangest places!

And so here I am. I think about alcohol from time to time, but not often. I can't say that I miss it, although some part of me must do: maybe the Christmas period will bring pressure, but I see my priorities so clearly, set against the alcoholism that wrecked my parents and annihilated my own childhood. My son will never have to deal with a drunken father or mother. He will not learn shame from me. And I might learn to manage my own shame in the process. :)

Well done scriba , yes the thoughts will pop up and it takes time for them to float away, keep doing whatever your doing as its working for you,put a few plans into place for when the temptation jumps out of no where to try n grasp you, keep posting your sharing helps others.

bikubesong wrote: »
    58 days, a little over 8 weeks. I hope it is just the beginning of forever.

Having said that, I do take it one day at a time. ;) But it's certainly the longest period of sobriety I've ever had.

Well done and one day at a time is right..onwards and upwards. :D

• Advertisement

Desiderata, An inspirational poem

Go placidly amid the noise and the haste and remember what peace there maybe in silence.

As far as possible,without surrender be on good terms with all persons.Speak your truth quietly and clearly:and listen to others,even the dull and ignorant:they to have there story.

Avoid loud and aggressive persons:they are vexations to the spirit.
    If you compare yourself with others,you may become vain or bitter,for always there will be greater & lesser persons than yourself.

Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans.Keep interested in your own career,however humble:it is a real possession in the changing fortunes of time,

Exercise caution in your business affairs,for the world is full of trickery.But let this blind you to what virtue there is:many persons strive for high ideals,and everywhere life is full of heroism.

Be yourself.Especially do not feign affection.Neither be cynical about love:for in the face of all aridity and disenchantment it is as perennial as the grass.Take kindly to the counsel of the years,gracefully surrendering the thinks of youth.

Nurture strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune.But do not distress yourself with dark imaginings.

Many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness.Beyond a wholesome discipline,be gentle with yourself.You are a child of the universe no less than the trees and the stars:you have a right to be here.

And whether or not it is clear to you no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.
    Therefore,be at peace with God,whatever you conceive him to be.

And whatever your labours and aspirations,in the noisy,drudgery of life,keep peace in your soul.With all its sham,drudgery and broken dreams,it is still a wonderful world,

Be cheerful.strive to b happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Fingers Mcginty

scriba wrote: »

Love this post. I can empathise with every thing you said there.
    Thanks and keep posting here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

I'm a disaster. I managed being off the drink for 6 weeks last time after serious withdrawals then depression kicked in, couldn't get out of bed and thought the world was collapsing all around me. Giving up the drink for 6 weeks was the hardest thing I ever done, but I fell back into the drinking again to ease pain, I'm only happy when I drink. After 30 years an alcoholic I just find it extremely hard to kill it off. I was on Xanax but after a while they done nothing and I just had to have a drink as I couldn't function at all, and also lost my job because of it, again. I can only function when I have at least 8 cans of alcohol inside of me.

I'm going to have to work something out soon as I'm back to vomiting blood again, and the withdrawals are so severe I have to drink to keep them at bay, the fear of the withdrawals coming on again is frightening so I have to drink. The last time I was at the doctor looking for something to keep the withdrawals away the doctor said to me... 'was I drinking' and I said yes and he told me to leave and never come back with alcohol on me again but I told him the story but he didn't care, he didn't want me visiting with alcohol on me. Man it's hard to knock this stuff. I just bought 24 cans of guinness an hour ago and drank 6 of them already and the withdrawals are subsiding now thankfully. Catch 22 again.

I'm going to work something out again, going to go around to the doc again but he won't be happy with the smell of alcohol on me. This is much harder than I thought, and I have a feeling that it would take an act of god to stop me drinking now. A disaster of a person I am indeed. I could drink 24 cans now and after drinking them all I'd just be your normal average sober person, I am incapable of getting drunk from them all, I'm just my normal self after drinking them all. Time for a rethink of this problem.

I have to laugh, I was told to just stop drinking by people, but if I do that the withdrawals will kill me, so not as easy as that to do. Back to the drawing board it is so. I might sign myself in to rehab for a few months, at least then I won't be able to drink.

I'm a disaster. I managed being off the drink for 6 weeks last time after serious withdrawals then depression kicked in, couldn't get out of bed and thought the world was collapsing all around me. Giving up the drink for 6 weeks was the hardest thing I ever done, but I fell back into the drinking again to ease pain, I'm only happy when I drink. After 30 years an alcoholic I just find it extremely hard to kill it off. I was on Xanax but after a while they done nothing and I just had to have a drink as I couldn't function at all, and also lost my job because of it, again. I can only function when I have at least 8 cans of alcohol inside of me.

I'm going to have to work something out soon as I'm back to vomiting blood again, and the withdrawals are so severe I have to drink to keep them at bay, the fear of the withdrawals coming on again is frightening so I have to drink. The last time I was at the doctor looking for something to keep the withdrawals away the doctor said to me... 'was I drinking' and I said yes and he told me to leave and never come back with alcohol on me again but I told him the story but he didn't care, he didn't want me visiting with alcohol on me. Man it's hard to knock this stuff. I just bought 24 cans of guinness an hour ago and drank 6 of them already and the withdrawals are subsiding now thankfully. Catch 22 again.

I'm going to work something out again, going to go around to the doc again but he won't be happy with the smell of alcohol on me. This is much harder than I thought, and I have a feeling that it would take an act of god to stop me drinking now. A disaster of a person I am indeed. I could drink 24 cans now and after drinking them all I'd just be your normal average sober person, I am incapable of getting drunk from them all, I'm just my normal self after drinking them all. Time for a rethink of this problem.

I have to laugh, I was told to just stop drinking by people, but if I do that the withdrawals will kill me, so not as easy as that to do. Back to the drawing board it is so. I might sign myself in to rehab for a few months, at least then I won't be able to drink.

I feel for you friend, having been in your position, more than a couple of times.
    For me, I eventually realised I couldn't do it on my own, and that I had to surrender to win,
    I went into Rehab, Cuan Mhuire, (Sister Concillios's), for 3 months. It was the best thing I did as it gave me a break from life and from the racing head. It gave me the foundation for a meaningful and continuing recovery with AA, and a day at a time I don't take the first drink.
    It might be something for you to consider, good luck.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Just over seven weeks sober.:) It is getting easier with time but the cravings still happen - its how I manage and deal with these that are key. One day at a time is turning into one week at a time.

Hopefully it will end up being one year at a time. But first things first! Stay well everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭eamor

Originally Posted by Bongalongherb View Post

aabarnes1 wrote: »
    I feel for you friend, having been in your position, more than a couple of times.
    For me, I eventually realised I couldn't do it on my own, and that I had to surrender to win,
    I went into Rehab, Cuan Mhuire, (Sister Concillios's), for 3 months. It was the best thing I did as it gave me a break from life and from the racing head. It gave me the foundation for a meaningful and continuing recovery with AA, and a day at a time I don't take the first drink.
    It might be something for you to consider, good luck.

Definitely try Cuan Mhuire Tel: 059 863 1493 Best wishes.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭eamor

Its actually just occurred to me that Its been 50 days since I had a drink. That s the longest I've ever gone without a drink.
    1 day at a time.....

Day 60. :)

Well done to Eamor and JupiterKid and everyone else. It ain't easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭leinsterdude

Well done to all, Im cut right down here, think not as much of a problem as i had feared, but still that can creep up again very easily, great to see so many great posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭alexonhisown

Yes, well done to all of you

I follow this thread a lot, for no particular reason other than i admire you all, it cant be easy

• Advertisement

eamor wrote: »
    Its actually just occurred to me that Its been 50 days since I had a drink. That s the longest I've ever gone without a drink.
    1 day at a time.....

Fkin brilliant stuff, I love hearing stuff like this. keep up the good work a day at a time.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,348 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

...........106 days I think. 13th July was the last time alcohol crossed my lips. Excel assures me that is 106 days. With the exception of 200ml of Guinness used in a ginger bread cake and 50ml of white wine used when baking fish. But I think cooking can be excused can it not? :)

Hmmm seems I have to somewhat retract that statement. Still I am going to consider it that I am still 131 days off alcohol and simply cook less with alcohol :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Amazingfun

Nozz, I am gonna put that here if you don't mind. I've known a couple of folks over the years who got tripped back into drinking and upon reflection sussed that it was indeed using alcohol in food/baking that got the ball rolling again.

AA's step one (first half of it anyways) is completely focused on the "physical allergy" theory and how innocently imbibing even small amounts of alcohol can set some of us off into uncontrolled drinking again.
    Thanks very much for this link, timely too for the upcoming Christmas Season ---might save a few a needless trip back to the bottom ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Amazingfun

Yes, well done to all of you

I follow this thread a lot, for no particular reason other than i admire you all, it cant be easy

Just my own take, but sobriety is much "easier" than prison/hospitals and other various blackout-related humiliations. In fact, it's a much better and more beautiful way of life than the one I was living near the end of my boozy-road, that's for damn sure ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,211 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

You are in a tough spot there bongalong and I can only offer my tuppenceworth in terms of advice. The first thing is that your situation is not unique, 30 years an alcoholic, drink 24 cans now to feel normal, losing jobs, depression , withdrawals etc, these are situations that we have all at some point or other found ourselves in. I know that the last thing that I wanted to do was stop drinking and didn't see any point in a life without drink. However I did stop and I am just an ordinary gobshyte . You say you 'are only happy when you drink' well you don't sound very happy to me.
    You need to make some hard decisions here and it will not be easy but the decision is yours and yours only. Unless you decide to grab this booze by the balls and fuk the withdrawals and everything else(they will all ease in time) and decide that you are going to beat it then nothing is going to improve.
    Good Luck.

Still sober still free :-)

I’ve been reading around a bit, and something someone said stuck out in my mind; “WTF am I afraid of?”

Fear, a powerful word for anybody! We face fears all the time and somehow manage to overcome them, fear of the dark, fear of speaking to a group of people, fear of the unknown, and many, many others.

But fear can be devastating to people who are struggling with quitting our addictions, I know I was afraid, afraid of having to handle life and all its problems without my buddy Mr Guinness to help me get through.

How would my friends view me as a non-drinker ? How could I relax and enjoy myself without drinking ? What would I use to be able to cope if drinking wasn’t an option ? And the dreaded fear of all, how could I really face the thought of going the rest of my life without being able to have a drink !!!!

I knew I had to overcome all those fears if I was going to be successful in quitting for good. Since quitting, I find I have more strength and courage to tackle everyday life head-on, no hiding from it in the bottom of a bottle, but think the problems through and come up with solutions or alternatives to deal with them.

I don’t need a pint in the evenings anymore to relax, I spend some quality time with myself and good friends to relax, something I very seldom did when I was drinking. I started reading again to relax and give my mind a break from everyday life.

It took a while, but I overcame all those fears I associated with being a non-drinker. And I realize they were nothing to be afraid of from the get-go, as long as I was willing to do what needed to be done, not drinking was nothing to be afraid of.

Sure, alcohol gives us the courage to say and do things we normally wouldn’t while sober, but I’ll bet those same things are what we regret the next day, so what’s wrong with just being you ? Absolutely nothing !

To be honest, I haven’t lost a single friend since I’ve quit. Maybe they knew how bad my drinking had become and were happy I was doing something about it. I still get invited to all the social functions even though I don’t drink. I have as much fun, if not more, than when I was drinking. And a life without alcohol ?? I can’t imagine my life with alcohol anymore ! I love my sober life!

If people can’t accept you for who you are, they have no business taking up any of your thoughts. Why not take a chance and just be the sober you, there’s nothing to be afraid of in that, that’s true honesty…..

Hey everyone, just checking in to say I have ten weeks sober today - 70 days - the longest I've ever gone without a drink. I hope and pray that I'll never touch the stuff again in my life. Still just taking it a day at a time - sometimes an hour at a time, even a minute at a time, when things are especially rough.

I lost the majority of my friendships and relationships, was asked to leave the apartment I'd lived in for four years, and had to quit my job all because of my drinking. It's still a rough ride dealing with the shame and guilt that comes with those memories. But you couldn't pay me a million euro right now to drink on them. I feel more positive about life than I have in a long time. :)

bikubesong wrote: »
    Hey everyone, just checking in to say I have ten weeks sober today - 70 days - the longest I've ever gone without a drink. I hope and pray that I'll never touch the stuff again in my life. Still just taking it a day at a time - sometimes an hour at a time, even a minute at a time, when things are especially rough.

I lost the majority of my friendships and relationships, was asked to leave the apartment I'd lived in for four years, and had to quit my job all because of my drinking. It's still a rough ride dealing with the shame and guilt that comes with those memories. But you couldn't pay me a million euro right now to drink on them. I feel more positive about life than I have in a long time. :)

Well done sir. That's the great thing about hitting rock bottom. Life becomes a yazz song...

• Advertisement

FortySeven wrote: »
    Well done sir. That's the great thing about hitting rock bottom. Life becomes a yazz song...

I'm a miss, not a sir :P but thank you very much! Yes, there was really nowhere left to go. Starting over has been a helluva painful journey but the other road doesn't bear thinking about.

Advertisement