Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Haven't touched a drop in...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭ASoberThought

Almost 7 months now. Absolutely no desire to drink now and enjoying life more than ever.

LifeRing meetings suit me for where I am at in all of this. Morning rituals, good tools, commitment to growth and gratitude are what I use daily. Although it hasn't been so long since I was drinking, using heroin, cocaine and anything else - all of this behaviour seems crazy to me now and can't believe I was ever caught up in it.

I wish you all well

• Registered Users Posts: 2,560 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

Almost 400 days sober and it feels great. Many will take to the booze after the exams but not me :P

Well settled in my new place and doing so far so good at college. Life is too busy to be drinking :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭The flying mouse

Almost 7 months now. Absolutely no desire to drink now and enjoying life more than ever.

LifeRing meetings suit me for where I am at in all of this. Morning rituals, good tools, commitment to growth and gratitude are what I use daily. Although it hasn't been so long since I was drinking, using heroin, cocaine and anything else - all of this behaviour seems crazy to me now and can't believe I was ever caught up in it.

I wish you all well

That's great to hear asoberthought,it's fantastic when uses the tools around us and there free, well done.
    Irish_rat wrote: »
    Almost 400 days sober and it feels great. Many will take to the booze after the exams but not me :P

Well settled in my new place and doing so far so good at college. Life is too busy to be drinking :)

Well done Irishrat, well done indeed.
    bikubesong wrote: »
    I'm a miss, not a sir :P but thank you very much! Yes, there was really nowhere left to go. Starting over has been a helluva painful journey but the other road doesn't bear thinking about.

Hi bikubesong well done on your 70 days & yur positive attitude , keep doing the work for yourself as it can be done, keep posting all. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kunkka

I vividly remember listening to this song about 6 years ago in a drunken stupor just before Christmas. It was as low a moment as I remember. I had won a few quid playing poker online and was at home drinking with a mate who shared the spoils. It was quite a few bob and I had decided to buy a bottle of champagne to "celebrate" this moment of "joy". I remember then this song coming on a playlist or a radio or something and I broke down crying, literally broke down. I had finally realized how ****e life had become. Alcohol was my absolute master and it dedicated all my affairs. I thought of all the relationships I had ruined, but most of all I realized how it much it had created an absolute hatred for myself. I had always put on an act through alcohol and was an absolute chameleon around other people, I felt like the sad clown all the time now at this stage. This is the moment that sticks in my mind of when the dark and suicidal thoughts started to be more frequent, when I kept saying in my head "What's the point?!". God help my pal that day as he didn't know what to make of it and tried his best to see what was wrong but I just couldn't articulate it in words.

You'd think that having a moment like that would make someone take stock of where they had arrived at, but not me, I just decided to drink more. I didn't like having to think about those sticky feelings and I'd tell anyone that wanted to help me to plainly **** right off. I went through about 9 months of absolute hell and done some serious damage to my health. Getting sick all the time and throwing up blood, I had gone from my normal weight of about 13 stone to about 18 stone. I had no moment of madness to actually attempt suicide but boy did it dominate my thoughts all the time, how and when, who'd be at my funeral and would anyone even notice? I remember in the last few months between a combination of my stomach being ****ed and my mind being totally lost that no amount of alcohol would ease the anxiety at all, which was a disaster for me but then I found recovery by mistake.

I'm now over 5 years sobers and my health has never been better since I first picked up a drink. I won't go into how amazing a change I have had in my life but I'll say one thing. I finally found out who I was, I've developed a compassion for myself and others that I never thought possible. So I just want to remind everyone that getting sober can be done, just stay strong and positive as I thought I was a hopeless case. When people tell you they don't think you have a problem tell them to mind their own ****ing business, you know yourself better than they do. When those subtle thoughts come in during the early days that says "you don't have a problem", "what harm will one drink do", "it's Christmas" or "**** it" just ask yourself was one drink ever enough? Talk to like minded people or someone who listens and keep it very simple. I wish you all the best with the holidays approaching and be proud of what you are doing, living without a sedative is the harder and stronger way to live but it 100% reaps all the rewards you've ever wanted. Maybe when Christy or Shane come on a radio remember this post and remind yourself you're not fighting this bastard of a disease all on your own. Happy Christmas

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

Kunkka wrote: »

I vividly remember listening to this song about 6 years ago in a drunken stupor just before Christmas. It was as low a moment as I remember. I had won a few quid playing poker online and was at home drinking with a mate who shared the spoils. It was quite a few bob and I had decided to buy a bottle of champagne to "celebrate" this moment of "joy". I remember then this song coming on a playlist or a radio or something and I broke down crying, literally broke down. I had finally realized how ****e life had become. Alcohol was my absolute master and it dedicated all my affairs. I thought of all the relationships I had ruined, but most of all I realized how it much it had created an absolute hatred for myself. I had always put on an act through alcohol and was an absolute chameleon around other people, I felt like the sad clown all the time now at this stage. This is the moment that sticks in my mind of when the dark and suicidal thoughts started to be more frequent, when I kept saying in my head "What's the point?!". God help my pal that day as he didn't know what to make of it and tried his best to see what was wrong but I just couldn't articulate it in words.

You'd think that having a moment like that would make someone take stock of where they had arrived at, but not me, I just decided to drink more. I didn't like having to think about those sticky feelings and I'd tell anyone that wanted to help me to plainly **** right off. I went through about 9 months of absolute hell and done some serious damage to my health. Getting sick all the time and throwing up blood, I had gone from my normal weight of about 13 stone to about 18 stone. I had no moment of madness to actually attempt suicide but boy did it dominate my thoughts all the time, how and when, who'd be at my funeral and would anyone even notice? I remember in the last few months between a combination of my stomach being ****ed and my mind being totally lost that no amount of alcohol would ease the anxiety at all, which was a disaster for me but then I found recovery by mistake.

I'm now over 5 years sobers and my health has never been better since I first picked up a drink. I won't go into how amazing a change I have had in my life but I'll say one thing. I finally found out who I was, I've developed a compassion for myself and others that I never thought possible. So I just want to remind everyone that getting sober can be done, just stay strong and positive as I thought I was a hopeless case. When people tell you they don't think you have a problem tell them to mind their own ****ing business, you know yourself better than they do. When those subtle thoughts come in during the early days that says "you don't have a problem", "what harm will one drink do", "it's Christmas" or "**** it" just ask yourself was one drink ever enough? Talk to like minded people or someone who listens and keep it very simple. I wish you all the best with the holidays approaching and be proud of what you are doing, living without a sedative is the harder and stronger way to live but it 100% reaps all the rewards you've ever wanted. Maybe when Christy or Shane come on a radio remember this post and remind yourself you're not fighting this bastard of a disease all on your own. Happy Christmas

Great, great post Kunka , thanks so much

• Advertisement

Lovely post Kunkka, I smiling reading it :-) thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭hubba

Hi all,

I'm over 5 years alcohol free and it's thanks in a big way to this forum and the support I've found here. So in this, the silly season, I just thought I'd give some advice to anyone in the early days who are feeling vulnerable and that's to watch out for these stupid phrases which might weaken your resolve -

Life's too short
    You have to die of something
    Ah sure I'm Irish, that's what we do.
    It's Christmas, you have to have one (or two, or sixteen)

It can be very challenging to be sober in December but just remind yourself how good you are going to feel every morning in December AND January, AND February etc. I remember feeling ready for hospital by January after all the boozing and I don't miss it, believe me. Not to mention all the money you will save over the silly season including taxi money.

But have fun, folks. Remember it's about friends and family and enjoying their company. You don't need booze to do that. And for those who are alone, drinking won't make you feel any better. Go for a walk, or cinema or read a book. Stay busy, stay healthy and go easy on yourself and if you need company, drop in here where you will always find a friend.

following on from hubba 's post lets use this forum to make sure none of us are alone for Christmas . It may be only the online world but I have found a lot more compassion understanding and camaraderie on here than many a time in the real world .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭FortySeven

hubba wrote: »
    Hi all,

I'm over 5 years alcohol free and it's thanks in a big way to this forum and the support I've found here. So in this, the silly season, I just thought I'd give some advice to anyone in the early days who are feeling vulnerable and that's to watch out for these stupid phrases which might weaken your resolve -

Life's too short
    You have to die of something
    Ah sure I'm Irish, that's what we do.
    It's Christmas, you have to have one (or two, or sixteen)

It can be very challenging to be sober in December but just remind yourself how good you are going to feel every morning in December AND January, AND February etc. I remember feeling ready for hospital by January after all the boozing and I don't miss it, believe me. Not to mention all the money you will save over the silly season including taxi money.

But have fun, folks. Remember it's about friends and family and enjoying their company. You don't need booze to do that. And for those who are alone, drinking won't make you feel any better. Go for a walk, or cinema or read a book. Stay busy, stay healthy and go easy on yourself and if you need company, drop in here where you will always find a friend.

I remember when I was 5 years sober. A few months ago.

Still. 8 days sober now ;)

One day at a time.

Hi Hubba great to see your doing & feeling fine, Sure doesn't time fly when your having fun...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭FortySeven

FortySeven wrote: »
    I remember when I was 5 years sober. A few months ago.

Still. 8 days sober now ;)

One day at a time.

Just reread this this morning. It doesn't read the way I intended. Apologies if I came across as having a go at your achievement. Not my intention.

My relapse was horrendous. Cost me everything again only this time I had 5 years of sober achievement to lose.

I'm starting again from scratch. Have moved back to the UK and am back to AA. I just need to get back on my feet regarding housing and employment.

FortySeven wrote: »
    Just reread this this morning. It doesn't read the way I intended. Apologies if I came across as having a go at your achievement. Not my intention.

My relapse was horrendous. Cost me everything again only this time I had 5 years of sober achievement to lose.

I'm starting again from scratch. Have moved back to the UK and am back to AA. I just need to get back on my feet regarding housing and employment.

No, don't worry at all, I didn't take it that way. I understood what you were saying. Please don't think the 5 years sober have been 'lost'. Think about that - you had 5 years sober instead of 5 years drinking. That's winning to me. Now it's time to work on quitting again, you know you have the strength. And lots of support here. Best wishes FortySeven.

Some folks might feel afraid or ashamed to come and post their problems and worries, but if this isn’t the place to do it, where is. ? Don’t be afraid to pour out your heart and soul, we’ve all been there, maybe not the exact circumstances, but something very similar I’ll bet.

No one here has the right to judge anyone, and if they do, they better look at themselves first. We can all beat this demon, if you don’t believe me, just look at how many members are doing it, all it takes is just not drink today, then do the same tomorrow...keep on posting & sharing.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Sober now nearly 3 months. Getting better each day!:)

Well done jupitarkid, great to here your doing well for yourself.

JupiterKid wrote: »

Keep it up kid , just a day at a time and see the time fly .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭Laeot

270 days ..

Touch and go the last few days but hung in there thankfully.

Laeot wrote: »
    270 days ..

Just fantastic Laeot , keep it going and remember to reach out when the 'touch and go' comes round .

You are never alone

Stay strong, Laeot. Sobriety should take priority over everything. Avoid situations you feel vulnerable in and keep busy, always have a plan.

270 days ..

:D:cool: Great work Laeot :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭ASoberThought

Over 7 months now and just over my first holiday along this journey of sobriety and a more fulfilling life. It was interesting being around places that I would have drank heavily before but to see that once again, the drinking and drugging is a big con and actually added no value despite the delusion that I held dearly for a long time.

It's wonderful to take part in life even though it's definitely not all smooth. I believe we all have all we will ever need to conquer this inside all of us and can tap into it with some action.

JupiterKid wrote: »
    270 days ..

Over 7 months now and just over my first holiday along this journey of sobriety and a more fulfilling life. It was interesting being around places that I would have drank heavily before but to see that once again, the drinking and drugging is a big con and actually added no value despite the delusion that I held dearly for a long time.

It's wonderful to take part in life even though it's definitely not all smooth. I believe we all have all we will ever need to conquer this inside all of us and can tap into it with some action.

Well done folks, great to read, by posting your helping others as well as helping yourselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭bikubesong

Coming up to 90 days for me soon! I'm not overly fixated on the 'number' itself because it's not a case of reaching an end goal. I want this to be for life. Although I did buy myself a few 'presents' for Christmas just as a little reward for sticking at it :p NB: they weren't bottles of wine!

Lovely to have this thread to check in every now and then and re-read some inspiring advice and stories.

How is everyone doing here folks ? Any plans for Christmas ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

This will be my third Christmas not drinking. Unfortunately the first two were preceded by monumental relapses.

Think I'm over that happening again, but have found the Christmases easy enough dealt with. Don't go out much socially anyway -it is matches that have been my downfall - so don't get caught up in the drinking frenzy.

Met a few people the other night and had 3/4 Erdinger non alcohols. Can't stand coffee or minerals and it is pleasant enough taste and I feel more comfortable in rare visits to pub with a "beer".

Anyway, whatever works is good.

Best of luck to everyone here. Don't post as often as I used to but regularly read the posts. It was good help to me when going through bad patch and I can see it still is for people.

How is everyone doing here folks ? Any plans for Christmas ?

I never leave my own house , mouse , anyone wants to see me , friends family ,they know where I am and most will call round.

I just love Christmas ,

Have a great time everyone and don't do anything without checking in with the comm-mitt- tee here first . We are here for us all

Happy Christmas my cherished online friends

This is a time of year when our resolve to stay quit can be sorely tried and tested. So many reasons/excuses to drink, and often more time to do it in.

I urge anyone who is thinking of drinking, to consider the cost of doing so. Christmas and New Years are emotionally charged, we can get frazzled, and relationships that aren't positive can take a troublesome turn.

DRINKING WILL ONLY MAKE THINGS MORE EMOTIONAL, MORE OF AN ORDEAL, and SET US BACK.

I will NOT drink, not now, not ever!

And I wish you all a very happy & merry Christmas, And that you all enjoy it :):cool:

Take good care everyone,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,560 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

I went to one of my mates earlier, went back to the house and his family were wondering if I was going to break out over the holidays! I was asked loads of times the same question.

Irish_rat wrote: »
    I went to one of my mates earlier, went back to the house and his family were wondering if I was going to break out over the holidays! I was asked loads of times the same question.

Always happens , I don't think there is any malice in though ( at least not with most ) . I think people , especially in Ireland are naturally curious .

It used to be the bane of my existence in the early years at every holiday , wedding , funeral , then as time passes it just fades away, like smokers and non smokers

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Happy Christmas to you all :) You're all very inspiring people! Hope you have a lovely relaxing break, and stay strong! Don't be afraid to reach out for help if you need it during this period.

All the Best.

Advertisement