Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Out of Focus & Off Topic MkIII...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭11811

Penis Lens envy, a common phenomenon amongst photographers :D

Its what you do with it that counts! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

11811 wrote: »
    Its what you do with it that counts! :pac:

C&C for that later :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

fbarbed-wire-fence.jpg?62804

streetart.jpg?62804

Last year, Dutch performance artist Iepe B. T. Rubingh and a team of pranksters dumped 500 litres of (allegedly) water-based, environmentally friendly paint on an intersection in Berlin and called it ‘Painting Reality‘

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

Manhattanhenge
    New Yorkers have witnessed an urban solar phenomenon, with the Sun setting in alignment with the city's skyscrapers and giving an effect fans say is reminiscent of Wiltshire's Stonehenge. Welcome to Manhattanhenge

_54068741_empire_getty.jpg
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-14150550

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Is there anyone else using 500px.com?

Seems a bit quiet there.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

On that topic, what are the popular sites that people use to showcase their photos? I'm looking for something really simple, preferably in a kinda blog format, that I can upload a number of photos and they will be put in a nice gallery.

I already use workpress but its a bit overkill. Posterous and tumblr are more for text blogging than photos. Anything else I should consider?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

I like Indexhibit, unfortunately, I'm useless at making websites of any kind, so I couldn't really edit it the way I wanted.

That 500px website I mentioned does have a blog attached to it, but I don't know how good it is. I'm still at the 'pressing random buttons' stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭ike

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

• Advertisement

I didn't know it didn't happen all the time. I got some shots of the same thing when I was there in 2000. I was waiting on a mate who was getting a burger, by the time he cam out it had gone down. I might try and dig up the neg.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭11811

My 40d now has a little 35mm brother! I fear I'm getting slightly addicted to this photography thing...:D

zJAWb.jpg

small_banksy-gets-a-taste-of-his-own-medicine.jpg?62804
    With Banksy’s Exit Through the Gift Shop documentary due for release in Japan this week, this is what befell a van promoting the film in Shibuya when the driver went for lunch.

More like this is how they painted the van to promote the film and then left it in the street.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭artyeva

yay! the massive development is now [finally] available as an android app.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

where is is ...where is it ... I wanna go !!!

More old shots of Ireland. Don't think I've seen these ones do the rounds. Could be wrong though.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/88051129@N00

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,486 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

if any of ye are in london in the next month or two, pop along to the national portrait gallery; the current exhibition is of the BP portrait awards (painting, not photography). some of them are insanely good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭BFassassin

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Stand Your Ground

The experiment, called Stand Your Ground, took place in the security-sensitive City of London on 21 June.

Though organisers conceded it had a 'set up feeling', the experiment aimed to 'test the policing of public and private spaces by private security firms and their reaction to photographers'.

Each photographer was accompanied by a videographer and told to keep on public land. Some used tripods and one was taking photos with a 5x4 camera.

It seems that the Police now know how to manage Public Photography, but it's the Private Security which are out of order.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

It was immensely satisfying to watch the police say the photographers were doing nothing wrong. Very unexpected too, so fair play to them.

I'd be somewhat tempted to see what reaction I'd get doing similar around Dublin, but I'm 99% sure the Gardai would favour the private security apes.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Meirleach

I was just about to make a thread about that video, I am very glad I searched first!

I wish the laws here were as clear cut about photography in a public place as the ones in the UK.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

I must say that generally the Gardai do not bother with Photographers too much. Have only had problems in London.

Would anybody be interested in doing something similar around Dublin?

I certainly would!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,677 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Tallon wrote: »

I certainly would!

I'd be up for doing it too, I might be able to get my hands on a JVC camcorder to record it.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

I've never had an ounce of trouble photographing in London and I've been here nearly a year now. Granted I only really get out at weekends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

5uspect wrote: »
    I've never had an ounce of trouble photographing in London and I've been here nearly a year now. Granted I only really get out at weekends.

Ah terrorists don't work on weekends!

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭BlastedGlute

stetyrrell wrote: »
    I'd be up for doing it too, I might be able to get my hands on a JVC camcorder to record it.

Sure you could use an iphone 4 to be fair, most of these cameras look like poor quality as it is. Would be a worthy experiment though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭jpb1974

To be honest I don't see the point in attempting to re-establish something that has already been done. Hoping to antagonize ignorant security staff around Dublin isn't going to prove anything new... it's just going to cause unnecessary trouble.

I feel slightly sorry for them (the security staff) in the sense that they aren't properly trained, don't understand the law and are being instructed as part of their job to confront photographers about such matters. I also think that ringing the old bill is just wasting a public resource that could be better served.

Part of me understands the concerns of the security people and I think a number of those filmed in the clip above came across respectfully, whether the fact that they were also being filmed had anything to do with it I don't know.

Advertisement