Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Out of Focus & Off Topic MkIII...

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,493 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

OldGoat wrote: »
    Henri Cartier-Bresson — 'Your first 10000 photographs are your worst.'
    does that apply per camera? or per day?
    that would explain a lot for me...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,493 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

actually, that reminded me of a photo of a boat in the setting sun which practical photography published some time in the late 80s. it had been taken by the editor, william cheung, and there was some text explaining the situation - he said the light had been so glorious he'd taken three rolls of film that light, but the situation justified it.
    the next issue, there was at least one letter (the one i remember was picked as letter of the week) from a reader complaining that it's all well and good for someone who is an editor of a photography magazine to go out and shoot three rolls in an hour, but that simply wasn't possible for joe soap to be able to spend money on film as willy-nilly as that.

much easier to hit that 10,000 now...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

I'm a tight fisted bastard so I work a scene and practice with digital and then shoot just one or two frames with film. My film hit rate is almost 1 for 1* though my digital hit rate is more like 100 to 1. :)

* Exaggeration for effect - reality is probably also about 100 to 1.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

so an old leica has become the most expensive item 'discovered' on the antiques roadshow. sold for the equivalent of abuot STG£380k, iirc.

no 52 - the one of the syrian rebel resting in a cave - is phenomenal.

http://www.nytimes.com/projects/2013/year-in-pictures/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Thinking of buying a new camera off ebay from one of those Hong Kong based sellers? Does anybody have any experience with one of these sellers? How reliable are they?

can someone write some code to take all photos posted to the photography forum in 2013 and merge them all together, to get an average of the photos posted?
    needless to say, it'd probably be a browny grey mush, but why let that get in the way?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,135 ✭✭✭dinneenp

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

dinneenp wrote: »

It's interesting, but if I was told "Go take 10 pictures of these things" I probably wouldn't be engaging with the subject in the same way as if I saw 10 things I wanted to photograph.

photos.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭CK73

Can anyone recommend any photograph clubs in Belfast or Cork please? Preferably one accepting new members at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,230 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

• Registered Users Posts: 6,694 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

key ring SLR

If that was actually an SLR that might just have been interesting.

can someone remind me - is the 800px limit in the random photos thread there for page load time reasons, or display reasons for those with smaller screens?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

The new challenge in the challenge forum is "Your favourite inanimate object".
    I read that as intimate. :o

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

OldGoat wrote: »
    The new challenge in the challenge forum is "Your favourite inanimate object".
    I read that as intimate. :o

I guess they could be one and the same :o

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Ben D Bus wrote: »
    I guess they could be one and the same :o

In your case maybe :D

Photography and on the late late show now!
    Aib photo competition results and an interview coming up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

This is the February picture from the bbc countryfile calendar, do you reckon its phototshopped to get that effect ??

fryup wrote: »
    This is the February picture from the bbc countryfile calendar, do you reckon its phototshopped to get that effect ??

Long exposure.

Haven't updated this in a while...

Boards photography forum monthly post volumes 2010->2014
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AhNqcmDq-CJedG9Jc1lseGxJZlR6aWQ5VHpUZDNkb2c&usp=sharing

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

Boards photography forum monthly post volumes 2010->2014
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AhNqcmDq-CJedG9Jc1lseGxJZlR6aWQ5VHpUZDNkb2c&usp=sharing

That's pretty sad..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

[/url]

Shoddy work, it doesn't even have a horizontal access title. Could you also add a swan on each of the peaks please?

I'm selling 20 photography magazines through Adverts is anyone is interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

A few of us recently took part in a project (including a few boardsie regulars) which is culminating in an exhibition, opening tomorrow night.

8B055B558A204FE4B2E7CFCB6F688EE4-0000336177-0003548751-00800L-2CC4D97A979D4A07AA5668E18892F7A4.jpg

I'm hoping that it's going to be a great night - so if you are free, pop in and say hello.

It runs for one weekend only, both Saturday and Sunday 12-6pm.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Zascar wrote: »
    This is quite staggering:

[/YOUTUBE]video[/YOUTUBE]

I genuinely thought the video was showing just how far behind the '4k' in phones is to a proper camera.. until he said the 5dmk3 was useless at the end of the video!

It was clear which one was better in every shot, the 5dmk3s h264 is nice looking and has far more latitude than the phone, and the 16bit raw blows the phone out of the water.

If that guy thinks the images he produced on that day were at the limit of what the 5dmk3 is capable of, he's very mistaken.

The camera phone is good and all that, but it doesn't compare to the 5dmk3 when it comes to stills or video, beyond the ease of snapping a picture and uploading it straight to facebook

Advertisement