Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Toilet under the stairs ?

• 27-01-2011 9:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 26

Hey
    We are looking to get a toilet and basin fitted under the stairs in a mid terraced house but the guy we called for estimate, told us that it couldnt be done because of regulations such as it not been wheelchair accesible and that you cant run a waste pipe through a kitchen. Can any body here second this?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

I am not to sure on planning laws but i imagine just because it does not meet requlations for what defines a bathroom does not mean it cannot be done.

As for running pipes through the kitchen i dont know but have you looked into the likes of sani flow systems.

They let you run bathrooms in any room and can pump all waste down 1.1/4" pipe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

riddler95 wrote: »
    Hey
    We are looking to get a toilet and basin fitted under the stairs in a mid terraced house but the guy we called for estimate, told us that it couldnt be done because of regulations such as it not been wheelchair accesible

in a domestic residence? :eek:

or in a business premises?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

think that reg is for new builds, post in const. and planning and the lads there will advise you on that.
    As joey says saniflo maybe your friend here!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

in a domestic residence? :eek:

or in a business premises?

Theres quite a few dommestic houses that have a small bog and small sink under the stairs.Its not as uncommon as you seem to think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭omg a kitty

Hey
    We are looking to get a toilet and basin fitted under the stairs in a mid terraced house but the guy we called for estimate, told us that it couldnt be done because of regulations such as it not been wheelchair accesible and that you cant run a waste pipe through a kitchen. Can any body here second this?
    Thanks

i know loadsa houses with a small bathroom under the stairs
    and wheelchair accessible??? its a house isnt it??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26 riddler95

Thanks for all the replies.
    Since my first post we had another plumber out. After getting over the wheelchair access hurdle and how little room there would be, he then said that it cant be done due to not been able to put in an extract fan/pipe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Sparkpea

Do these guys not want the work or what? Sounds like they are creating their own problems/excuses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

What iv seen done in the past is a 2 4 inch wastes brought outside through a trench in the kitchen etc , then use one as a vent , in this case iv seen it brought up in the house and then a vent to the outside wall.
    Its always doable its just up to how much your willing to spend etc.

Thanks for all the replies.
    Since my first post we had another plumber out. After getting over the wheelchair access hurdle and how little room there would be, he then said that it cant be done due to not been able to put in an extract fan/pipe.

If there is no room in the wall i was under the impression an extractor can be fitted in glass. The mind boggles either way as to why they are making it so awkard. Can you post photos of the room

I think its a mid terrace tho he said

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

No problem doing them that I know of, I fitted one today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭deelite

Is that saniflow thingy mad expensive

its not badly priced £300 maybe - it would cost more to digup and install a 4" waste pipe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

paddy147 wrote: »
    Theres quite a few dommestic houses that have a small bog and small sink under the stairs.Its not as uncommon as you seem to think.

Indeed, and a lot of my friends' houses have them....I meant the :eek: at having to be wheelchair accessible in a private residence.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 halpers

How would you suggest to install an understair wc and basin in a mid terrace house? Saniflow for the waste ran in 1 1/2" to the most suitable place(fish 1and1/2" pipe under the floor out to the front or back?) What would you suggest for venting?

halpers wrote: »
    How would you suggest to install an understair wc and basin in a mid terrace house? Saniflow for the waste ran in 1 1/2" to the most suitable place(fish 1and1/2" pipe under the floor out to the front or back?) What would you suggest for venting?

It would have to be seen but yes sani flo solves most problems. Even in a terraced house the kitchen units are usually located just behind the wall inside the kitchen door. The pipes from the saniflo can be run behind the units.

A lot of time its down to room under the stairs. Most people want to put a toilet in a space not big enough to fart.

You can fit a toilet in most places however sometimes its not practical

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 108 ✭✭blacktalons

you may have to fit some sort of air vent/fan to remove any odours :rolleyes: this might be difficult in a terraced house.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

I'm just wondering should there be a vent/window/extraction fan in the toilet under the stairs. I'm renting and there was an extraction fan before I moved in but it's been removed and filled with expanding foam.

What are my rights or do I have any wen I'm renting. In other words, by law, should there be a vent/window/extraction fan?

Advertisement