Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do I need a Carbon Monoxide Detector?

• 27-01-2011 10:09am
    Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭

We have an outdoor oil fired boiler and don't use the open fire. Do we need a CO detector? Is there a risk of carbon monoxide if fuel isn't being burned indoors?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭youtheman

Carbon Monoxide (CO) is associated with the incomplete, or incorrect, combustion of hydrocarbon fuels (oil, gas, coal, turf etc.)

With your external boiler, the combustion process is happening outside, and the exhaust gasses are outside. And the only connection to the house is the hot pipes coming from the boiler (and these can's transmit CO).

So the answer is 'no'. To get CO in your house you would want a faulty boiler combined with a leak of exhaust gas into your house (very unlikely).

However, 'peace of mind' and 'personal protection' might persuade you to get one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

I got a 2 in one carbon and smoke detector for €30. Kidde was the brand.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,726 ✭✭✭Worztron

Check that the Carbon Monoxide alarm complies with EN50291 standard. Place on wall about 1 foot from ceiling (or on ceiling) and 3 to 6 feet from appliance (i.e. cooker, furnace, stove, water heater etc.). Put within 15 feet of bedrooms so that the sound can be heard even if doors are closed. Minimum of 1 CO detector on each floor. You may require more than one detector for full coverage.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

I use a gas boiler (there is a pipe sticking out of the wall to the outside) and a gas cooker. Both are in the kitchen. Would I need a Carbon Monoxide detector for these? Thanks.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 707 ✭✭✭jeepers101

To reiterate a previous post, you would need one for peace of mind only. It's very highly unlikely it will ever be used.

That pipe from your boiler is probably just the safety release valve. If the water pressure in your boiler is to great, the valve opens and lets some water out.

• Advertisement

jeepers101 wrote: »
    To reiterate a previous post, you would need one for peace of mind only. It's very highly unlikely it will ever be used.

That pipe from your boiler is probably just the safety release valve. If the water pressure in your boiler is to great, the valve opens and lets some water out.

Hello jeepers101. When the gas boiler is turned on, the output from the pipe going outside is hot. It kind of looks like these:
    http://www.pjsheating.com/_images/photo/example7.png
    http://www.hancock-brown.co.uk/resources/Boiler+flue+terminal+outside+005.jpg
    I think it is called a vent pipe but I may be wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 707 ✭✭✭jeepers101

Its called a flue. Its basically the exhaust for the waste gas from the combustion process.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

buck65 wrote: »
    I got a 2 in one carbon and smoke detector for €30. Kidde was the brand.

Where have you put it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭garancafan

Worztron wrote: »
    I use a gas boiler (there is a pipe sticking out of the wall to the outside) and a gas cooker. Both are in the kitchen. Would I need a Carbon Monoxide detector for these? Thanks.

Most definitely yes.

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    Where have you put it?

Place on wall about 1 foot from ceiling (or on ceiling) and 3 to 6 feet from appliance. Put within 15 feet of bedrooms so that the sound can be heard even if doors are closed. Minimum of 1 CO detector on each floor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Worztron wrote: »
    Place on wall about 1 foot from ceiling (or on ceiling) and 3 to 6 feet from appliance. Put within 15 feet of bedrooms so that the sound can be heard even if doors are closed. Minimum of 1 CO detector on each floor.

Worzton, I am more concerned where the poster has placed this combined unit.

I for one wouldn't want the 2 detectors combined. Usually smoke detectors go in halls or landings, you want your CO in a living or sleeping area.

Plus, the battery dies, you lose 2 detectors instead of 1.

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    Worzton, I am more concerned where the poster has placed this combined unit.

I for one wouldn't want the 2 detectors combined. Usually smoke detectors go in halls or landings, you want your CO in a living or sleeping area.

Plus, the battery dies, you lose 2 detectors instead of 1.

Good points. But since the thread title is "Do I need a Carbon Monoxide Detector?" I was advising on the placement of a CO detector.

Advertisement