Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommended wood for timber decking

• 27-01-2011 10:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi,

I am replacing my tanlaised softwood decking and want to put down a hardwood deck. Fomr my research the best choices seem to be:
    • Bilinga Garapa Balau

Does anyone have any experience of these and/or recommendations for suppliers?

I was originally going to go for composite but: I prefer wood and some prices for Bilinga (for example) seem better than composite. It seems to have pretty good properties.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Any of those mentioned are good. Balau is probably the most popular with Irish suppliers. Also cedar but it does discolour a bit and goes silver naturally. I put down a composite deck and it is similar in price to the hardwood now. It looks very natural and after 2.5 years still looks well and no maintenance! PM me if you need any info on prices or suppliers etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Waffle

Hi. I've used Bangkirai (Yellow Balau), supplied by Abbeywoods.

Looks great. Colour will fade, so i stained using a product bought from same supplier.

Unfortunately, its quite expensive, as hardwoods are in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 timreddin

Thanks all for the help - I found a local supplier for the bangkarai.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 bmurphy84

buck65 wrote: »
    Any of those mentioned are good. Balau is probably the most popular with Irish suppliers. Also cedar but it does discolour a bit and goes silver naturally. I put down a composite deck and it is similar in price to the hardwood now. It looks very natural and after 2.5 years still looks well and no maintenance! PM me if you need any info on prices or suppliers etc.

Hey Buck65

I am thinking about installing composite decking also. What deck did you go with. So far the best prices i have seen is from Whitewater and Earth Wood ?

Also i would be interested in hearing your opinion on it in terms of how slippery it gets. I will be installing it in the back garden against the doors so its important that it would not be to bad in the winter.

Thanks

Advertisement