Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BSKYB's porofits up 26%

• 27-01-2011 10:48am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭

BSKYB have announced operating profits for 6 months of £520 million up 26% and now has 10.1 million subscribers with 3.5 million HD subscribers,with 140,000 new customers joining in the final 3 months of 2010.
    That's some serious profit considering a recession.As much a free tv is an attraction it goes to show that pay tv is thriving despite people cutting back on spending,the pub trade is dying as more and more people invest in home entertainment.
    With 3.5 million HD subscribers that would probably mean the hd sub is staying for another while at least due to the huge amount of money it draws into Sky's coffers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭gtg60

I don't like Sky but I do subscribe and am the first to admit that their business model and tactics (however questionable) are second to none!
    You think they might come in and run our country for a while til it gets back on it's feet? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

Rupert Murdoch for Taoiseach? I'd rather have Ian Paisley

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭gtg60

Minstrel27 wrote: »
    Rupert Murdoch for Taoiseach? I'd rather have Ian Paisley

I didn't actually mean it, hence the :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,050 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

zerks wrote: »
    BSKYB have announced operating profits for 6 months of £520 million up 26% and now has 10.1 million subscribers with 3.5 million HD subscribers,with 140,000 new customers joining in the final 3 months of 2010.
    That's some serious profit considering a recession.As much a free tv is an attraction it goes to show that pay tv is thriving despite people cutting back on spending,the pub trade is dying as more and more people invest in home entertainment.
    With 3.5 million HD subscribers that would probably mean the hd sub is staying for another while at least due to the huge amount of money it draws into Sky's coffers.

Thats £35mill per month, just for those folk to have the privilege of HD programming!! You can see why all the calls for the £10 monthly fee for HD to be dropped is falling on deaf ears.

I hate $ky, but you gotta admire their marketing and business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

NIMAN wrote: »

Sky

Fixed that for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,891 ✭✭✭Zardoz

I'd imagine alot of the new customers are people switching from the cable network in the UK which switched to Nagra 3 encryption towards the latter part of 2010 .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭ftakeith

Zardoz wrote: »
    I'd imagine alot of the new customers are people switching from the cable network in the UK which switched to Nagra 3 encryption towards the latter part of 2010 .

sky are still churning 9%-10% every quarter

most persons are only keeping the pack they mostly watch with sport/movies etc alongside freesat/freeview in 2 other rooms,
    sky also offer broadband, tv and phone for under £20 compared to just 23 euro for tv only in ireland

murdoch for taoiseach, yes he would be good for not giving the true picture!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

70,000 signed up to Sky 3D, very impressive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Dman001 wrote: »
    70,000 signed up to Sky 3D, very impressive.

30,000,000 Digital TVs.

Actually people are getting ripped off as it costs about 40c to make a TV be Stereoscopic 3D. The only extra is a little IR LED to send "sync" pulse to LCD glasses (left right frame).

The signal is 2off 960x1080i images (left & right eye) in a regular 1920x1080i frame. Any modern HD Setbox or TV can alternately make each half be the full screen.

In time all TVs will be 3D even if you don't want it and the extra will be the glasses at €50 a pair!

http://www.techtir.ie/tv-radio/3d-tv

It's a gimmick. Doesn't work for a significant number of people, illusion is destroyed if you move your head, causes headaches for a lot of people, not real 3D and currently means HD with 1/2 the quality of image.

Zardoz wrote: »

No, that would be a minority. Most People on cable will either sign up or use Freeview or Freesat.

In Ireland UPC are now getting Sky customers. Due to bundle of Broadband and phone.

A lot of the UK customer growth is NOT TV, that is near saturation. Sky's main UK customer growth has been Broadband, which they don't and can't offer here!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

watty wrote: »

A lot of the UK customer growth is NOT TV, that is near saturation. Sky's main UK customer growth has been Broadband, which they don't and can't offer here!

They can offer Broadband here, but i think they made a statement a few years back saying it wasn't worth their cost and time as the cost was too much and they wouldn't be competitive

You mean in theory they could, but that they don't actually, because they actually want to give near universal coverage (mostly impossible outside suburban) and want to make a profit (no-one makes any money reselling DSL, that's why Perlico lost Millions, why BT gave retail to Vodafone, why Digiweb got TalkTalk's Irish customers for a song and why Smart went bust and Digiweb got Smart's customers) Digiweb makes almost nothing from DSL. all their profit is from Data Hosting, Wireless Broadband, Satellite and fibre.

So Sky will not be launching Broadband in Ireland any time soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

30,000,000 Digital TVs.

Actually people are getting ripped off as it costs about 40c to make a TV be Stereoscopic 3D. The only extra is a little IR LED to send "sync" pulse to LCD glasses (left right frame).

The signal is 2off 960x1080i images (left & right eye) in a regular 1920x1080i frame. Any modern HD Setbox or TV can alternately make each half be the full screen.

In time all TVs will be 3D even if you don't want it and the extra will be the glasses at €50 a pair!

http://www.techtir.ie/tv-radio/3d-tv

It's a gimmick. Doesn't work for a significant number of people, illusion is destroyed if you move your head, causes headaches for a lot of people, not real 3D and currently means HD with 1/2 the quality of image.
    Agree it's a gimmick, but that was the point I was making. I'm surprised there was such a large volume of people interested in Sky 3D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

In Ireland UPC are now getting Sky customers. Due to bundle of Broadband and phone

UPC are losing tv customers,broadband is becoming their mainstay.People are copping on that triple play isn't as good value as it seems and are mixing their providers by using Sky or FTA.

Advertisement