Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gordon McArdle on a Medical MJ platform

• 27-01-2011 10:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭

I first heard this chaps name when he was on Matt Cooper after drawing up - by himself - what he called the Compassionate Use of Medical Marijuana Act 2010 (http://www.hempirl.webs.com/). I really respected this guy. Apart from the fact that I believe in regulation of most drugs anyway, he's a shining example of how a democracy should work. Instead of sitting around bitching and moaning (on t'internet mostly :pac:) about something in society he didn't like, he has actively gone out there and tried to change the law to the extent that he drew up the legislation himself, promoted it, met with Pat Carey and more or less forced the Mininster for Health to take the issue seriously enough that compassionate use the the future might well be closer than we think.

This chap is running for TD in North Dublin on this platform...it's one of the only time I wish I lived in North Dublin :D. a lad like this has the ability to shake things up a bit imo, even if the legislation is never passed.

My question is would you support him if you're from this constituency or would you support any candidate who had the same stance? I believe in the right of the individual to choose what medicine is best for them and I'll never be able to understand why anybody stands in the way of this - as candidates call to my door, one of the question I'll be asking is whether they support this proposed legislation and if they dont, they wont get my vote.

What's your level of support for medical MJ legislation 30 votes

You live in North Dublin and will vote for McArdle
    0% 0 votes
    You live in North Dublin and wont vote for McArdle
    13% 4 votes
    You live outside the constituency but would vote for a candidate who supported this legisation
    3% 1 vote
    You dont believe in medical MJ
    83% 25 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

i live in north dublin. i will put a vote towards him just for you. and the other reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭thebigbiffo

FatherLen wrote: »
    i live in north dublin. i will put a vote towards him just for you. and the other reason.

marijuana leaf badge winging it's way over to you Fr. Len

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

Well considering he is using a slang term for cannabis in his legislation I don't know if I would get behind him personally. If a person is going to make a step towards legality(even for medical patients), I would rather they do it right or else the conservatives will rip it to shreds.

I would get behind the Idea though.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

What has Gordon Mc Ardle got to do with Michael Jackson's doctor?

Patricide wrote: »
    Well considering he is using a slang term for cannabis in his legislation

where?

• Advertisement

marijuana was considered a slang term though to have come from the term mary jane. it is not considered slang anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

a medical BJ would be better

Patricide wrote: »
    Well considering he is using a slang term for cannabis in his legislation I don't know if I would get behind him personally. If a person is going to make a step towards legality(even for medical patients), I would rather they do it right or else the conservatives will rip it to shreds.

I would get behind the Idea though.

he seems to use both 'cannabis' and 'marijuana' in his proposal, neither are considered slang.
    FatherLen wrote: »
    marijuana was considered a slang term though to have come from the term mary jane. it is not considered slang anymore.

as far as i'm aware, marijuana was the spanish/mexican name for cannabis that just got into wider usage. i think you have it in reverse and 'mary jane' was the slang that derived from 'MariJuana'

as far as i'm aware, marijuana was the spanish/mexican name for cannabis that just got into wider usage. i think you have it in reverse and 'mary jane' was the slang that derived from 'MariJuana'
    yeah that could be it i knew there was some relation, just thought that might be what he was talking about

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭jimthemental

I'd support this kind of reform even though I'm not a degenerate drug user and consider myself superior to you all, you stoners! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Failed poll.

I believe in medical marijuana, but wouldn't vote for a candidate who's sole focus in representing his country in parliament is to get it legalised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

Limited poll. Personally I wouldn't vote for someone whos only concern is medical marijuana.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Poll needs more options. Would change my vote then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Irish Halo

I believe in the right of the individual to choose what medicine is best for them and I'll never be able to understand why anybody stands in the way of this
    :confused: That is a separate issue to use of medicinal marijuana, yes people should be allowed make informed choices but these decision should be made after consulation with a trained professional who understands the risks and benefits of various options. Most people have no idea of the real understanding of the effects medicine can have on the body hence the clampdown on Codeine in Ireland, people are morons.

Also you do understand that legalising medicinal marijuana will require a prescription, you won't just be able to wander in to the pharmacy and order it over the counter right?

BTW I do support the legislation.

Irish Halo wrote: »
    :confused: That is a separate issue to use of medicinal marijuana, yes people should be allowed make informed choices but these decision should be made after consulation with a trained professional who understands the risks and benefits of various options. Most people have no idea of the real understanding of the effects medicine can have on the body hence the clampdown on Codeine in Ireland, people are morons.

Also you do understand that legalising medicinal marijuana will require a prescription, you won't just be able to wander in to the pharmacy and order it over the counter right?

BTW I do support the legislation.

Yeah tbf i did over simplifiy it. what i should have said was that people should have the right to be prescribed any medicine which a doctor believes will help their ailment - obviously this particular drug is, imo, unfairly not available for prescription.

in partial defence of my original statement though - i know somebody who's currently undergoing chemo for a very serious form of cancer. this person is 26 years old and has smoked cannabis recreationally for years. if in her opinion she feels like taking a mild intoxicant to make her feel better (forget about the scientifically proven merits for the moment, i'm talking about her just getting a little stoned as relief from the worries of her situation) then she should be allowed.

@prinz, enda, minstrel: can you explain how the poll fails? i'm of the opinion that he can run on this main platform but can also address the concerns of his constituency as well - one day we complain about constituency politics ignoring national issues and the next it's the reverse:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

@prinz, enda, minstrel: can you explain how the poll fails? i'm of the opinion that he can run on this main platform but can also address the concerns of his constituency as well - one day we complain about constituency politics ignoring national issues and the next it's the reverse:confused:

You live outside the constituency but wouldn't vote for McArdle...

You might support McArdle depending on what other ideas he has..

You don't vote for people with single issue platforms..

You would support medical MJ but wouldn't support someone who has nothing else to offer...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,166 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

prinz wrote: »
    You don't vote for people with single issue platforms

It's the zero issue politicians I'd be more concerned about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Ricosruffneck

Nah, want my politicians to have integrity,

Not to further the course of the country to suit his/her needs.

No issue with medicinal cannabis as long as its broken down as a tounge spray or tablet form and issued over the counter by a pharmacist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

Man, I voted but, huh, I forgot which one I ticked,

hey SpongeBob is on

hehe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 BrockSamson

i hope this gets passed it will help alot of people

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

Its absolutely disgracefull that medical marijuana isnt available. My OH suffers from a chronic illness that leaves her in in extreme pain. weed helps but we cant get a hold of it readily so she has to pump herself full of pain killers thats slowly destroying her liver

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

So what's this, trying to elect some stoner, who thinks he can make things better.??

Has he a tax record in this country?

Is there an option for 'pay your taxes pal,and don't be annoying the electorate'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Alter-Ego

i hope this gets passed it will help alot of people
    ...pass a saturday afternoon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

Nah, want my politicians to have integrity,

Not to further the course of the country to suit his/her needs.

No issue with medicinal cannabis as long as its broken down as a tounge spray or tablet form and issued over the counter by a pharmacist.
    As far as im aware the tablet form of cannabis is nowhere near as effective as the plant itself. Also again im not sure on this but I seem to recall something about side effects from the tablet form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

To hell with medical nonsense.

I'd support MJ laws which made it legal to grow in certain quantities, and legal to sell in fixed quantities with a licence.

That'll kill the MJ import trade and free up tonnes of Garda resources to hammer other drugs.

Advertisement