Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Very choppy BB connection Galway.

Options
  • 27-01-2011 11:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 81,222 ✭✭✭✭

I've had eircom at home a long time and mostly it's been grand but recently it's been acting up.
    Was on 3MB Business starter but only got 1800Kb so rang and got a tech sent out. He fixed some wires in the wall socket and said it would be ok now.

I upgraded from 3MB to 8MB but still only reach max 3MB. Rang and spoke to some tech on phone who changed my connection speed to 4MB.
    That worked for about a week and since then my BB will restart itself occasionally, 5-6 times a day or so.
    I use this BB for work so notice every time when it drops and it's getting very annoying now.

Most of the time when it return then connection speed has changed.
    Just now it happened a few times and speed changed from 1856 to 2176 to 1984, none of course even remotely close to 8MB which you are paid for...
    I was told by the guy on the phone that my line can't handle 8MB but I've have speeds up to 3.5MB no probs so why is my connection dropping all the time and changing speeds?
    Have screenshots.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭eircom: Tony

biko wrote: »
    I've had eircom at home a long time and mostly it's been grand but recently it's been acting up.
    Was on 3MB Business starter but only got 1800Kb so rang and got a tech sent out. He fixed some wires in the wall socket and said it would be ok now.

I upgraded from 3MB to 8MB but still only reach max 3MB. Rang and spoke to some tech on phone who changed my connection speed to 4MB.
    That worked for about a week and since then my BB will restart itself occasionally, 5-6 times a day or so.
    I use this BB for work so notice every time when it drops and it's getting very annoying now.

Just now it happened a few times and speed changed from 1856 to 2176 to 1984, none of course even remotely close to 8MB which you are paid for...
    I was told by the guy on the phone that my line can't handle 8MB but I've have speeds up to 3.5MB no probs so why is my connection dropping all the time and changing speeds?
    Have screenshots.

Hi Biko
    I resume this is same number I have on file ( ending in 85) if not PM me your line no.
    I have taken tests here but cannot determine issue. Have escalated to tech support with the previous history and hope to have some feedback today or tomorrow.
    Tony

Have screenshots.

Hi Biko

this has been escalated by tech support and issue should be resolved within 2/4 working days. A tech should be in contact with you.
    If not contacted by Monday let me know.
    Tony

• Registered Users Posts: 81,222 ✭✭✭✭biko

A tech was just here and fixed it, seems to be a house wire issue as he just disconnected and reconnected the wiring in the hallway.
    He couldn't say for sure what the underlying issue was, just to monitor and get back if it happens again.
    The speed is back to just at 3.5MB but since I'm a bit away from the exchange I guess I'll have to be happy with that.

Thanks for your quick support! :)

A tech was just here and fixed it, seems to be a house wire issue as he just disconnected and reconnected the wiring in the hallway.
    He couldn't say for sure what the underlying issue was, just to monitor and get back if it happens again.
    The speed is back to just at 3.5MB but since I'm a bit away from the exchange I guess I'll have to be happy with that.

Thanks for your quick support! :)
    Hi Biko
    no problem, happy problem was resolved. The problem here is that if the connection from the main socket to any other outlet or extn is the problem our tech will be unable to fix this. They can sometimes advise where issue lies though. Let us know what happens.
    Tony
    Biko
    Given your recent interaction with the eircom connect forum and the support team, would you be able to complete a
    survey on the following link http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/eircomconnect We appreciate your co-operation, and feel free to be honest and objective. We are trying to gauge as accurately as possible customers feedback of the forum since it went live.
    Many thanks,
    Tony

Sorry to say this keeps happening, last time just now at 11.39 and again at 11.50.

I tried changing over to my older Netopia router to see if the newer router was at fault (although I've used it quite a long time) but connection still drops a few times a day.

I'm thinking it may be connected to my speed being upgraded from 3MB to 4MB.
    Can you set it back and I'll check for a day or two?
    Router seems to stay up, just the DSL light goes out and comes back blinking after a minute.

b1786.jpg

then after a minute or so
    a8bb9.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭eircom: Ant

Sorry to say this keeps happening, last time just now at 11.39 and again at 11.50.

I tried changing over to my older Netopia router to see if the newer router was at fault (although I've used it quite a long time) but connection still drops a few times a day.

I'm thinking it may be connected to my speed being upgraded from 3MB to 4MB.
    Can you set it back and I'll check for a day or two?
    Router seems to stay up, just the DSL light goes out and comes back blinking after a minute.

b1786.jpg

then after a minute or so
    a8bb9.jpg

Hi biko,

Thanks again for contacting eircom on boards.

There is a case logged with our engineers at them moment regarding your broadband connection problem.

If you need an update directly, please call into eircom Broadband Support on 1890 260260 (low call). Advise that you wish to go through to the Business Section and quote the following case reference (3948165).

I have also taken a quick look at this and from the above posts, this sounds like you have possibly an internal wiring issue in your premises.

If you want to rule in /out whether the problem is with eircom broadband or with your internal wiring please take a quick look at the following broadband checklist :

http://bit.ly/aPwvTT - Broadband Check

If you try this check it should help your broadband connection overall. It will also help speed up a resolution to any fault and will also ensure that you are not accountable for a call out charge if an engineer has to go to your premises. If the fault is found to be an internal wiring issue; ie : if their is some third party equipment (like sky box(s), fax, long private extension phone leads, etc.

I would recommend doing the broadband check 'to the letter' and this will rule out where the fault lies. From what is said on previous posts here, it looks very like an internal issue.

If there is a fault with the modem then doing the above check will also help us identify this. The modem can be easily replaced in this case by calling into Broadband Support.

However before we can give further advice on this, we need to wait for the resolution of the engineer. As I said, if you need a further update please call into Broadband Support directly as advised above.

Let me know if I can be of further help on this.

All the best
    Ant

Thanks, the tech tried calling to the house unannounced yesterday so I was out at the time but someone rang to make an appointment for tomorrow so I'll be here then.

The checklist:
    1. CHECK WHAT LIGHTS ARE ON THE MODEM /ROUTER
    Power, steady green. DSL link, steady green. Wifi green
    When connection drops, the DSL changes to flashing red. Power and wifi stays green.

2 RESTART THE MODEM - Turn the modem off and on again
    Has not worked, besides I am using a different modem now.
    Was 2247NWG-EIR, is now 3347NWG

3 REMOVE THE ADSL SPLITTER FROM THE PHONE SOCKET
    Tech told me to remove this when he was here last, no difference.

4 USE ONLY THE DSL CABLE (RJ11) CONNECTED TO THE MODEM /ROUTER
    I use the purple r11 that was supplied with modem. Tech has seen this and didn't comment on it.

5 DISCONNECT ANY LONG EXTENSION PHONECABLE
    No phone connected, just the router

6 TEMPORARILY DISCONNECT ANY THIRD PARTY EQUIPMENT
    Nothing is connected to phoneline besides the router, no phone/fax/console/...

Router cable is connected to main phone socket (MDP).

Actually the connection dropped just now 12.43 when writing this.

Not sure if it helps but routerpage reports speed at 3872/384 (kbps)
    broadbandsupport.eircom.net/speedtest/ tells me it's 1.73Mb/s

1139142620.png
    33660455.png

^^^ this is all done wirelessly connected to router.

Thanks, the tech tried calling to the house unannounced yesterday so I was out at the time but someone rang to make an appointment for tomorrow so I'll be here then.

The checklist:
    1. CHECK WHAT LIGHTS ARE ON THE MODEM /ROUTER
    Power, steady green. DSL link, steady green. Wifi green
    When connection drops, the DSL changes to flashing red. Power and wifi stays green.

2 RESTART THE MODEM - Turn the modem off and on again
    Has not worked, besides I am using a different modem now.
    Was 2247NWG-EIR, is now 3347NWG

3 REMOVE THE ADSL SPLITTER FROM THE PHONE SOCKET
    Tech told me to remove this when he was here last, no difference.

4 USE ONLY THE DSL CABLE (RJ11) CONNECTED TO THE MODEM /ROUTER
    I use the purple r11 that was supplied with modem. Tech has seen this and didn't comment on it.

5 DISCONNECT ANY LONG EXTENSION PHONECABLE
    No phone connected, just the router

6 TEMPORARILY DISCONNECT ANY THIRD PARTY EQUIPMENT
    Nothing is connected to phoneline besides the router, no phone/fax/console/...

Router cable is connected to main phone socket (MDP).

Hi biko,

Thanks for getting back to me and appreciate you following the broadband checklist.

I see the engineer has requested an appointment time with you.

If you haven't done so already, please confirm this with Broadband Technical Support in order an appointment can be made.

Broadband Technical Support : 1890 260260 (lowcall).

You should quote the case id when calling into Broadband Support in order to speed up your call time.

Please let me know if you need further assistance.

Kind rgards
    Ant

Tech came past this morning and changed the wiring in the house.
    *fingers crossed*

Nope, didn't help to change wiring from house entry point to the modem.

Still dropped three times today.

Ringing tech support now.

• Advertisement

Nope, didn't help to change wiring from house entry point to the modem.

Still dropped three times today.

Ringing tech support now.

Hi biko,

Thanks again. I see you are calling Tech Support.

A case has been logged for you with Broadband Support. Please quote your Case reference (3208774) in any correspondence with them, as this will speed up a resolution to your query.

If you need further assistance on this or any other issue, let me know.

Kind regards
    Ant

Advertisement