Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beware express lodgement BOI -

Options
  • 27-01-2011 11:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭

Three years ago it was brought to my attention that my share of the mortgage hadn't been paid for months. I was paying into my brother in laws account via the express lodgement system. Put money into envelope with account number and pop into the box. Maybe I made a mistake in the account number but no money went in to his account.
    I queried this with the bank and was told that there was nothing they could do about it and it was untraceable unless I could furnish the account number that I was using (I had it on my phone disguised as a contact which I deleted when I changed phones)

I could give the dates (to within 1 or 2 days) that I lodged the money and it was a small town branch so I can't imagine there was thousands of express lodgements every day.

The bank basically told me that my money had gone to someone elses account and that it was all my fault. I asked whether they checked the name on the docket against the name of the account when lodging and got an obscure reply that they are supposed to but when they are busy they often assume the details to be correct.
    They asked me if I had the receipt dockets to prove it, I didn't and pointed out that you fill them in completely yourself and I could easily just pick up a handful today and fill them in and date them accordingly. They really didn't want to know or investigate.

I was glibly told with a satisfied smug smirk, by a "manager" on behalf of the bank that

"We don't make mistakes"
    That has been proven to be a false statement on behalf of Bank Of Ireland.
    I (we) are down approx €3000. :mad:

If somebody set fire to all the BOI branches in the country I wouldn't give them a cup of piss to quench the flames. :mad:

Anybody else have any similar Bank Of Ireland F**k Ups ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Humans eh! wrote: »
    Maybe I made a mistake in the account number but no money went in to his account.

Anybody else have any similar Bank Of Ireland F**k Ups ?[/LEFT]

This was your mistake to begin with, not the Bank's. If you lodge money to the wrong account, it's pretty much tough luck.

The bank's response does seem quite flippant, but why should they go back through all the lodgement slips to find your mistake, especially when you have no proof that you even lodged money at all? Why did it take months for your brother in law to notice that you hadn't been paying any money into his account? There's a lot of blame to go around here, but contrary to your belief, it's not all with the bank. If you believe the fault lies with the bank, you can contact the Financial Ombudsman about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

On the BOI lodgement forms there is a section which asks for the name and telephone number of the person making the lodgement. If you had that filled in it would help in identifying your lodgements.

From experience with BOI, the account number you will have had would possibly be for an account in O'Connell Street, starting with 999. On your lodgement slip you would have to write on and highlight an 8 digit number identifying the specific mortgage you are paying off. You would have had to mark this number TX so that the cashier entering it onto the system would know what it was for, and would credit it against the proper mortgage.

There is a good chance that nobody told you this; we found out by accident that we had to do it like this.

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Banking & Insurance & Pensions - dudara

Write to Bank of Ireland Branch Manager, making sure to cc Head Office. State that you have lodged €X in or around these dates (list the dates). The money has not been credited to the correct account and you want to find out where it went.

By knowing that there was the same amount deposited at frequent intervals, they should be able to find that pattern.

However, you really should have kept your counterfoil from the deposit slip, as that contains a number that would allow them to find the other portion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Why now raise this, 3 years on?

You state you may have made a mistake. Maybe so. The bank response seems hard but again you are recalling it all 3 years later.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,437 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

You sat on that grievance for a while before airing it. I have used the Express Lodgement facility in different branches of BOI on dozens of occasions over the years, never had a problem with it.

However I can't believe that you put 3,000 euros cash into an envelope, filled in a form and then posted it in the branch, that's just asking for trouble.

As previous posters have said, there is a field on the form where you give your name, address and phone number, this is in case the bank needs to contact you if, for example, there is a discrepancy between the a/c number you quote and the name of the a/c as written on the lodgement slip.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭lau1247

three years is definitely way too long to bring it up.. although bank should have a record..

Good luck OP

Someone out must be thinking they got 3K from secret santa..

West Dublin, ☀️ 7.83kWp ⚡5.66 kWp South West, ⚡2.18 kWp North East

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

but why should they go back through all the lodgement slips to find your mistak
    They don't have to. He can give date for one month and they can find the incorrect amount and since he used the same account number they can find the rest. In fact I would imagine they don't even have to check the slips. A quick database query would find the account.
    three years is definitely way too long to bring it up
    if the bank had made a mistake they would go back and take the money back from you.
    Why now raise this, 3 years on
    who knows? Maybe the bank only noticed the account is an arrears recently ?

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭sarahlulu

coylemj wrote: »

As previous posters have said, there is a field on the form where you give your name, address and phone number, this is in case the bank needs to contact you if, for example, there is a discrepancy between the a/c number you quote and the name of the a/c as written on the lodgement slip.

It also states clearly on the envelope that the maximum cash amount that should be put in the envelope is E1000

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭maddogcollins

The OP does not say they put in €3000 in one go. They say the mortgage had not been pain in months which leads me to believe that a few payments are unaccounted for.

But yes, if they have any kind of a proper system a quick search for the amount would highlight any amounts at that value on where they went. But again, it is not their responsibility to do so, even if you are a customer who is paying for their service which alot of banks seem to forget.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭noworries

But yes, if they have any kind of a proper system a quick search for the amount would highlight any amounts at that value on where they went. .
    Ahh yes, the famous quick search..........

So OP, says
    - approx 3000 (over a number of transactions not specified)
    - variable amounts (presumed)
    - lodged (within 1 or 2 days)
    - local branch

How exactly do you think the query could be structured;
    what about
    SELECT 'ALL TRANSACTIONS'
    FROM 'THE REALY REALLY BIG DATABASE CONTINING PROBABLY 1.5Bn txns'
    WHERE 'THE DATES' = (date or date +1 or date +2 or date -1 or date -2)
    AND BRANCH is 'LOCAL BRANCH'
    AND AMOUNT = might be the same, might be not
    AND ACCOUNT NUMBER = 'not my brother in laws'

Ya see the problem with the simple query, - yeah, not so simple... and the
    time involved --- ohh the time.

I'd say - come back with the time printed receipt m8 - and I will see what I can do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Thanks for the beware/warning but this is your error not the bank's.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

If the name doesnt match the number they should not have lodged it, are you sure you had the account number wrong, this seems very strange. This is their mistake, the name should always match the number and that should always be checked. They are too busy then they can go and look for it now.

They cant prove you were using the wrong name. I have had the wrong amount keyed in using this so I wouldnt be too quick to accept this, state that you wish to make a formal complaint they have to answer you back in writing and threaten to speak to the financial ombudsman as well. You will find that they will at least investigate then. Of course they can pull up all payments made on a certain day, they cant be arsed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

jor el wrote: »
    This was your mistake to begin with, not the Bank's. If you lodge money to the wrong account, it's pretty much tough luck.

The bank's response does seem quite flippant, but why should they go back through all the lodgement slips to find your mistake, especially when you have no proof that you even lodged money at all? Why did it take months for your brother in law to notice that you hadn't been paying any money into his account? There's a lot of blame to go around here, but contrary to your belief, it's not all with the bank. If you believe the fault lies with the bank, you can contact the Financial Ombudsman about it.

how do you know its not the banks mistake when nobody knows what number was used. It may have been the correct one. Its standard to check the names as well so it should have been spotted then.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭reeta

noworries wrote: »

So OP, says
    - local branch

what about

I'd say - come back with the time printed receipt m8 - and I will see what I can do.

Wow you have way too much time on your hands..fortunately banks have a better system then you portray to check info....

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

reeta wrote: »
    Wow you have way too much time on your hands..fortunately banks have a better system then you portray to check info....

And this system is what pray tell?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭UglyBolloxFace

So the cops knew all along that they were being framed by the FBI?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭Kalimah

noworries wrote: »

So OP, says
    - local branch

what about

I like that! I worked for one of the larger banks many moons ago and any query of that sort would mean me or one of my colleagues manually going through all the lodgement slips for the days in question. I have had many the customer saying they lodged on a particular day and going through all the stuff manually only to find that the lodgement was made maybe a week earlier! Multiply that by the number of missing lodgemnts you have and you will see how much of a needle in a haystack it is.

OP you really must give them much more specific information if you want results. I find it hard to believe that no one copped that the lodgments hadn't been made for months.

Ps. I find it hard to believe that any manager said to you that " We do not make mistakes". If I or any of my colleagues had EVER said that to a customer we'd have been severely reprimanded. It's a no-no.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭homer911

Its actually quite difficult to get an account number wrong, and for it to still be a valid account number - the last digit of every account number is a checksum digit, based on the previous 7 digits AND the sort code

• Registered Users Posts: 25,437 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

homer911 wrote: »
    Its actually quite difficult to get an account number wrong, and for it to still be a valid account number - the last digit of every account number is a checksum digit, based on the previous 7 digits AND the sort code

In that case 'quite difficult' is a bit too vague, it's a mathematically possible event with a probability of 10%.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭homer911

coylemj wrote: »
    In that case 'quite difficult' is a bit too vague, it's a mathematically possible event with a probability of 10%.

I dont believe its as simple as that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

Kalimah wrote: »
    Ps. I find it hard to believe that any manager said to you that " We do not make mistakes". If I or any of my colleagues had EVER said that to a customer we'd have been severely reprimanded. It's a no-no.

I don't. I had 20 grand deducted from my current account a couple of years ago for a 10 grand cheque. Girl at the bank said I must have made the mistake as she could not possibly done so. When I asked them to ensure my mortgage was paid while it was sorted she said no. It took a week and a half to get the cheque back from wherever it was sent. And what do you know - banks mistake. Never got an apology either. I doubt anyone was reprimanded.

Advertisement