Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ID accepted in Lidl & Aldi

Options
  • 27-01-2011 11:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 401 ✭✭

Has anyone bought alcohol from the Aldi in Headford Road recently?
    I need to buy crates of the stuff in a week or 2 for a reception, but I only have a passport, and many supermarkets are now refusing to accept anything other than the poxy garda card (Tesco & Supervalu have gone that route). I'm 27, but apparently look closer to 20, and female cashiers will ALWAYS ID me.
    I'm hoping that Aldi still have a more sensible ID policy.

Failing that, are there any big off-licences still in town after all the Harvests closed?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭tribesman78

This ****e really annoys me. A passport is an official national document. In order to get one the forms have to be stamped by the Gardai. If these supermarkets don't accept this then they should be asking everyone for ID. Is it not a form of discrimination if you ID one person and not another based on their appearance?

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭yeehaw

I need to buy crates of the stuff in a week or 2 for a reception, but I only have a passport, and many supermarkets are now refusing to accept anything other than the poxy garda card (Tesco & Supervalu have gone that route). I'm 27, but apparently look closer to 20, and female cashiers will ALWAYS ID me.

Failing that, are there any big off-licences still in town after all the Harvests closed?

Testosterone supplements ftw... man up

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭fergpie

I dont know of ANY supermarket/off licence that doesnt accept a passport. Dunnes and Tesco certainly do so i dont see why lidl/aldi wont...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

fergpie wrote: »
    I dont know of ANY supermarket/off licence that doesnt accept a passport. Dunnes and Tesco certainly do so i dont see why lidl/aldi wont...

OP stated that Tesco only accept AgeCard.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭fergpie

snubbleste wrote: »
    OP stated that Tesco only accept AgeCard.

OP is misinformed!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,164 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Voluntary+code+for+alcohol+sales+agreed+by+stores+in+Republic.-a0202357858

Cant find a copy of the code but im positive that age card, driving licence and passport are the forms of i.d taken.

It is up to each store to decide what ID to accept. They can choose to only accept a passport or a driving licence or anything.

OP if you go to the Lidl & Aldi websites and fire off a request for information, then enlighten us all.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Did you try ringing or calling in to Aldi/Lidl and ask if passport is ok?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭stephendevlin

I was asked last year (now 29)

I was older than the guy who asked me.

They are strict because thier managers pressure them into it and they are pulled up for not doing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

I think the easiest way would be to get someone with an ID or someone who does not need an ID to purchase the alcohol for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭howyanow

there were plenty of off licences before the harvest group opend,my own local is o'learys salthill but you'll find there are quite a few in this town.surprised about the passports,doesnt make sense at all,the only time they are not meant to accept a passport is if it has been cancelled or was tamperd with,they're turning away customers needlessly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭ciano1

I thought it was only the supermarkets that were picky when it came to what ID's they take??

I rarely get asked in most Galway offies anymore even though Im 18 (And Im told I look 18/19 too)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 401 ✭✭steel_spine

yeehaw wrote: »
    Testosterone supplements ftw... man up

I'm female...rather not have to grow a beard for the sake of some cases of booze...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 401 ✭✭steel_spine

fergpie wrote: »
    OP is misinformed!

Are Tesco still ok with passports? I'd swear last time I was in there they had the 'Garda age card only' signs.

As for geting someone with the card, nobody in the soc does and I'm the oldest person there :pac:.
    I'm hardly baby-faced, clearly over 18, but I don't look 27. I'm also going to have some of the younger (18-20yr old) minions with me to help carry everything, so I'm just goin with the assumption I'll get ID'd

EDIT: If anyone can find a phone no or email add for them, pass it on, I can't find one online or in the golden pages book.
    I tried their main number from the website and i get cut off with a 'calls cannot be accepted from your region'. Looks like I'll have to drop by, though who knows when I'll get time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

everywhere accepts a passport

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

Why are Aldi stores not listed in the phone book?

The Store Manager or Area Manager handles all customer enquiries, so the easiest way to contact them is by returning to the store. This way our service to customers is prompt and personal.

would dunnes or joyces be better value ?

Both Aldi & Lidl have freephone numbers listed on their site.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

aldi only takes garda id, lidl takes passport, driving license, etc.

It's bollocks, tesco are complete bastards about it too. Make you feel like a criminal if you don't have a garda id.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Halt! Ihre Papiere bitte!

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭kieran26

tesco take passports and garda age card

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭User Named

When im in the Lidl/aldi cant remember what its called,in Westside i always get asked. Im 24 and i dont have an age card. I always just look shocked and tell them im 24 and they apologise and serve me. Iv done it 4 times now...They seemed embarassed when i said what age i was. My house mate is 20 and could never get served, even after showin his license...i remember few months ago, the manager mentioned something about the IRA when explaining why the licence was no good...mental.I was there with him... I told him what i did and next time he told them he was 25 and he's been able to get served there since....Maybe its just in that place, but for a strange reason it works.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭niamhocxox

My passport is the only I.D I use and its never been refused in Tesco, Dunnes, Fine wines or Supervalu

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭yer man!

Dunnes and tesco take passports, yes they do have signs saying age card only but they definitely take passports I asked staff and they said despite the sign they do accept passport and so does everywhere. Lidl accept driving license, age card, passport or EU immigration card. I'm not sure about aldi but they do take passport for certain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭The Cool

Just when we're on the topic - Dunnes Stores really has been getting on my nerves lately with their ID policies. Firstly, they seem to ID everyone who they think looks under 30. I am one of those who gets ID'd every time - I'm 21, and look it. I tried to buy alcohol last week, and was refused with my provisional (I only have it a few weeks so it was the first time I'd attempted). I asked him why, and his answer was "they are given out to 17 year olds". Er, passports are given out to babies....

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭McGarnagle92

sure I've been refused even with my garda ID in Dunnes and Lidl before nothing new there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

I have never owned an age card.

I was carded around 10 7 years ago in a Tesco in Castlebar.

The older female cashier became incredibly defensive after informing me that passports were not accepted as I stood there with my mouth open, passport in hand.

I questioned her a little, calmly, as I was curious how that made any sense to anyone.

She motioned to the security guard on duty towards us.

As we were only in Tesco to get some drinks, we then decided to leave, whereupon the security guard tailed us to the far end of the car park.

We do/did not look like a bunch of scangers.

What the f*** is wrong with people that they make their employees implement such nonsensical rules.

The only possible valid reason I can think of that Tesco might have is that age cards could be faked far far more easily, meaning their potential market is widened a little ;).

Madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Greaney

Not that I would encourage litigation, but, if my passport were not excepted as ID, I'd take that further. Seriously, if a passport is not acceptable then could there be other discrimination afoot??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭moonflower

phasers wrote: »
    aldi only takes garda id, lidl takes passport, driving license, etc.

It's bollocks, tesco are complete bastards about it too. Make you feel like a criminal if you don't have a garda id.

Aldi always takes my passport no problem. They won't take my student cards, but they once took my friends GMIT student card for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

The Cool wrote: »
    Just when we're on the topic - Dunnes Stores really has been getting on my nerves lately with their ID policies. Firstly, they seem to ID everyone who they think looks under 30. I am one of those who gets ID'd every time - I'm 21, and look it. I tried to buy alcohol last week, and was refused with my provisional (I only have it a few weeks so it was the first time I'd attempted). I asked him why, and his answer was "they are given out to 17 year olds". Er, passports are given out to babies....
    Yeah I've been shopping in Dunnes in Briarhill for the last two years and lately they've taken to IDing me constantly. I never have anything other than my drivers' licence on me but they've always accepted it after getting a manager to come over and look at me because their policy is only to accept passport and Garda ID. I'm not about to start bringing my passport out everywhere so looks like I might have to get a Garda ID at the age of feckin 27.. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭The Cool

I do think that that is absolutely ridiculous - I don't know any 27 year old who could be mistaken for 17!!
    I hate their policy that if you have someone with you when you're buying drink, they get ID'd too. *I* am buying the drink for *me* with *my* money and *my* ID. It has nothing to do with the other person! So annoying if I happen to have my teenage sister with me to help me carry my shopping home, I have to tell her to feck off to the front of the shop. Ridiculous policy.

Advertisement