Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ID accepted in Lidl & Aldi

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

I think the rule is that if you are lucky enough to look under 23, they will ask you for ID. People say that they don't look 17 but they may well look 22, in which case, due to this rule, they will bes asked for ID.

BTW I could be completely wrong and it might not work like that at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭moonflower

That whole rule about needing ID for anyone with you is bloody ridiculous too. They sell booze to parents with kids with them, so why do they need to see my mates ID's if I'm buying booze for myself.

I suppose it's fair enough if two people go to the till with a box of beers or a big bottle of spirits, but I've had my friend's asked for ID when I've been buying a naggin or two or three beers. We're hardly going to be sharing those out between us!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭niamhocxox

I was in my local Tesco this evening and there was a girl with her 2 friends, buying drink.

They did look about 16 but they all had ID. Then the till lady refused to serve them because the girl actually buying it had only turned 18 today! :confused:

The till lady just kept say "but you are only 18 today" The girl didn't argue but if it was me I would have definitely called for a manager.

Oh and they all had passports. Then she sold the drink to the one who is 18 for the past few months :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Fionn MacCool

To be honest, anyone who just accepts bollocks like "you're only 18 today" or "I can't accept a passport" and walks off without asking to see a manager, doesn't really deserve any better. If people actually grew a spine and stood up for themselves then maybe there'd be less utter rehabs in positions of employment.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Dutchess

I wouldn't take it if someone refused to sell me booze on my 18th birthday. I am 24 and get ID-ed every so often in a supermarket. Tesco took my Learner Permit a few weeks back. I remember Aldi or Lidl taking my European ID Card but some girl in Tesco asked me once if I had a proper passport when I showed her that thing. She did accept it after I told her -astounded- that I use that thing to travel with.

How retarted is not accepting Learner Permits because they are given to 17 year olds? It has your date of birth on it!:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Everyone has a story of being refused service by some jobsworth moron, here's mine.

Dunnes in Westside
    Me and my mate are buying a crate of Bud, he gets asked for ID (aged 20). He shows her his full drivers license, she tells him she can only accept a passport. Absolute nonsense, but whatever, I've got my passport so I'll buy it. Apparantly not. She won't sell me the crate because he doesn't have a passport. What the f***?

1. He is clearly of legal age, he has proved with with his drivers license. There is no law saying which ID is 'legal', Dunnes can accept a letter written in crayon if they wish.

2. I am of legal age, I have shown a passport. The only law at risk of being broken here is serving someone who you believe is buying on the behalf of a minor. Now whether or not their bollocks store policy accepts a driver's license, it still shows my friend is over 18.

3. If he was actually under 18, surely I'd have just bought it while he waited outside, rather than have him come to the till with me and present a fake drivers license?

I aruged a bit but it's hard to get anywhere with someone lacking the most basic common sense, so I just said I'd go to a different check-out and picked my crate up. She grabbed hold of it and told me I couldn't. I laughed at her and went and got another one and paid for it (without even being asked for ID) at another til.

Word of advice, avoid the female cashiers, especially the Eastern European ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭yermanoffthetv

Happend to me in Dunnes in Westside. I was 24 at the time and had a full drivers licence. "She said we dont accept those". I looked at her blankly and sad "fine, Im 24 get the manager and well see what he says. Im in no rush". I did get some daggers from the people in the que behind me but I wasnt moving. Realising this she said "Ok, but bring an age card next time". Just have to stick your ground (calmly! ;))

Its bloody stupid, drivers licence and passports are official documents. There good enough for the Gardai to check your identity but not good enough for feckin dunnes or tesco!:rolleyes:

Happend to me in Dunnes in Westside. I was 24 at the time and had a full drivers licence. "She said we dont accept those". I looked at her blankly and sad "fine, Im 24 get the manager and well see what he says. Im in no rush". I did get some daggers from the people in the que behind me but I wasnt moving. Realising this she said "Ok, but bring an age card next time". Just have to stick your ground (calmly! ;))

Its bloody stupid, drivers licence and passports are official documents. There good enough for the Gardai to check your identity but not good enough for feckin dunnes or tesco!:rolleyes:
    It really just depends on who serves you there I think. I've seen people use drivers licences loads of times since, I've also been told "we're asking everyone for ID now", but then not been asked for ID loads of times since.

It's why it's irritating when they try and fall back on the "its store policy" bollocks. It might be, but most of your staff seem to use their initiative so stop being a dick!

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭hada

Fine, have a policy, but jesus, don't be absolute idiots in applying it.

A policy is just that, it's not a firm law. Apply it in a sensible manner or don't apply it at all. This really bugs me (was refused over the summer....I'm 24 and was most definitely older than the damn girl refusing to serve me in the first place!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 fringeo

Hi,
    I was just wondering if anyone knows more about this new ridiculous store policy in Super Value where they only accept Garda Id from people under the age of 24. I went into the one of Father Griffin Road today to purchase 4 beers a bottle of wine and other bits of shopping. I admit I do look quite young although I'm 23(24 in a month) and was not surprised to be asked for id, although I've been served there numerous amounts of times without being asked. I gave the woman working behind the till my passport which she didn't even look at and asked me for Garda id as it is "the only form they accept". After calmly explaining that I don't own Garda identification and have never had this problem before she looked at it, then brought it to one of the managers. He came over and explained that their store policy is to only accept garda id, which he pointed out was clearly posted around the shop (which it was not, as the first sign I saw was behind the till I was standing next to). I continued to explain to him that although it is a legal obligation for under 24s to carry id it does not have to be Garda id, and pointed out the fact that surely a passport is the best form of id you can have. He continued to refuse and I was so angry I stormed out leaving all my shopping behind. I'm just wondering if anyone knows more about this ridiculous store policy? I'm not one to complain but I feel very strong about this particular incident, it was embarrassing and frustrating to feel, and to be treated as if I was doing something wrong. Needless to say i will never be going back there again, but would like to lodge a complaint, any ideas as to how I would go about doing this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭overshoot

from a barman (told this by may boss), and iv just double cheacked with another who works on the other side of the country, if you ask for id, you are obliged to accept all the three governement ids (passport, driving licence, age card)you cannot pick and choose. if you do not accept them you are obliged to confiscate them and give the id to the guards as you suspect it is fake. (where you can either reclaim it as its real or you dont as its fake)

unless it doesnt apply to shops but i cant see any reason why they should have an exception

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

fringeo wrote: »
    Hi,
    I was just wondering if anyone knows more about this new ridiculous store policy in Super Value where they only accept Garda Id from people under the age of 24.
    I don't think a lot of places are strict about it. My supervalu accepts passports in the off-license and I've only come across one place that would only take Garda ID.

Always find it weird though that people wouldn't use a Garda ID if they didn't have a Driver's License. It saves the hassle of the passport getting stolen and its only a 10er.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,164 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

go onto supervalu.ie and lodge a complaint with them, thats a ridiculous policy and seems out of sync with the voluntary code of practice introduced a couple of years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

Has anyone bought alcohol from the Aldi in Headford Road recently?
    I need to buy crates of the stuff in a week or 2 for a reception, but I only have a passport, and many supermarkets are now refusing to accept anything other than the poxy garda card (Tesco & Supervalu have gone that route). I'm 27, but apparently look closer to 20, and female cashiers will ALWAYS ID me.
    I'm hoping that Aldi still have a more sensible ID policy.

Failing that, are there any big off-licences still in town after all the Harvests closed?

I thought you only had to be 17 to get booze.
    i saw the most bizarre thing at Lidl when a girl and her father/partner and two kids were at the counter. she was packing the stuff into the trolley while he looked on. two cans of beer became a problem. she was ided, though she said they were for him and he was easily in his mid thirites. sale was refused. where is the logic?

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭xo.mary

The night of my 18th birthday (basically after 12am), I got refused from a nightclub in Athlone because they 'don't accept passports'.

When I went to the guarda station to get an Agecard, I enquired about it with the reasoning that it is official ID and they simply just said, they don't accept them because people lose them. Sorry what?!

I know Dunnes across the country don't accept licenses because licenses are easily forged. Oh right yeah. But anytime a friend hasn't gotten served because they have a license, and I have 'proper' ID, they're usually sound about me buying whatever, because the person has proved their of age.

I'm 21 and I look about 17, so it's joyous when I don't get ID'd. But I know from buying alcohol from people I know (who know I'm of age) in Tesco and Dunnes, they HAVE to ask for ID, if the person looks anyway young.

Hopefully this is will stop, if the card licenses ever come in, and hopefully won't be as easy to forge/change.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,164 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

anyone looking remotely underage should be checked for i.d, i think most people agree with this but the problem is a lack of coherence across the industyr from pubs to off licences to supermarkets.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

Father in law went to Lidl today and made his purchases, paid for them and checked his change while walking away from the till. realising something was wrong he went back to the guy and asked would he mind checking the till cause he made a mistake.
    Guy said no he could not do it, again he insisted that till be checked and twice more the guy said that checking the till could not be done.

Ok then father in law says, but I think you gave me €30 too much back cause I gave €20.
    Straight away the cashier pressed the assistance button and a new drawer was taken down.
    Turns out he did give the change of a €50 euro note!

Me, I would have kept it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭1mcampo1

Father in law went to Lidl today and made his purchases, paid for them and checked his change while walking away from the till. realising something was wrong he went back to the guy and asked would he mind checking the till cause he made a mistake.
    Guy said no he could not do it, again he insisted that till be checked and twice more the guy said that checking the till could not be done.

Ok then father in law says, but I think you gave me €30 too much back cause I gave €20.
    Straight away the cashier pressed the assistance button and a new drawer was taken down.

Me, I would have kept it!

Fair play to your father-in-law for giving it back

The cashier might have gotten in trouble for his/her till being down that amount of money...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

1mcampo1 wrote: »
    Fair play to your father-in-law for giving it back

The cashier might have gotten in trouble for his/her till being down that amount of money...

Yes, but my point was that the guy thought that the father i law was short changed, not given too much. He didnt want to know till it was pointed out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭overshoot

Yes, but my point was that the guy thought that the father i law was short changed, not given too much. He didnt want to know till it was pointed out.
    good idea would have been to go through him when the manager got there for being a smart ass.... or when he says cant recheck... well you gave me too much & walk off

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭mitsuko045

He is clearly of legal age, he has proved with with his drivers license. There is no law saying which ID is 'legal', Dunnes can accept a letter written in crayon if they wish.

There are three types of cards which can be used in Ireland and should be accepted in all places to verify I.D., these are drivers licences, passports and age cards. These are all valid forms of identification as they require garda checking and most importantly these are the only three which have legal standing in the court of law.

When I was in 6th year, (we were all 18 at the time), a mate of mine was refused her passport at the bar because they only accepted age cards. As she pointed out she only turned 18 about 6weeks before hand so she was still waiting on her age card in the post and besides, it was a recent passport, with a recent photo that has been accepted when gaining entry into countries and which she could only get by going to the gardai.
    When she was still refused, we all decided we were going to leave right then. That was when we were told the passport was suddenly okay. We still left and moved on though!

It's bollocks. I did a responsible sale of alcohol course as part of work and we were told these are the only three you can accept and the only ones they recognise in court. I'm 21, don't look it, I stopped being routinely id'd once I hit 18 (win!) but I always have my age card in my wallet, purely for handiness sake. Passport is too much hassle to carry around, I don't wanna loose it. I don't have a licence so I always have my garda id in my wallet. Working behind bars (and the odd offie) does make you sympathetic to people asking for id, some don't want to ask but have to, others genuinely don't know and want to err on the side of caution for their jobs sake so I never hesitate to give them my id and a smile.

If someone were to pull that on me I'd demand a manager or (worse) if I was the person who had to tell people my work place was only accepting one form of id, I would direct them to a manager straight away without any hesitation.
    ...he insisted that till be checked and twice more the guy said that checking the till could not be done.

Twit! Where I work, if the customer believes there is a mistake in the change when the server does not believe there to be a mistake, we're not allowed just give em the change, we've to call a manager and that person does have to wait till the end of the night/next day until the till is checked to confirm whether it's up or down but DEEERP! A simple "What appears to be the problem?" would have saved a lot of embarrassment.

Manners and cop on go a very long way, are very much appreciated but don't seem to be that abundant sadly.

Advertisement