Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

6 Year old son with Concentration Issues

Options
  • 27-01-2011 11:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭

Hi,

My six year old son in having problems concentrating at school (or so I'm told). I am not with the mother anymore and communications are pretty bad at best but my own mother has told me that his teacher has raised concern about this. I'm going to try and give the school a call and talk to his teacher but is there anything else I can do as far as assessment goes. He had issues with speech when he was around 3 - 4 and went to speech therapy for a while. He's changed school about a year ago and doesn't seem to have settled into his new school either.......plus i reckon he probably spends a fair amount of time on the computer/playstation/watching TV.....so the rest of the time seems a bit zonked. I've tried getting him out doing sports and stuff but it doesn't seem to be doing any good. So yeah what are the options as far as assessment goes.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Hi OP, I have a 7 year old girl and she has in the past had concentration issues. If she gets too much tv she turns into a Zombie herself. She has a nintendo ds and we've had to limit her time using it. She's started improving but i'd guess its more to do with her getting older. She also had speech therapy when younger and now we can't shut her up haha.

I would suggest no matter how hard it is to go try get as much info from your ex as possible about this. Its for your childs good you both sit down together and talk and work out a plan/strategy and try and stick to it.
    Talk to your GP also or your district health nurse is also excellent for advice.

Best of luck OP.
    Sorry i can't be more help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Wantobe

Talk to the teacher first- I would suggest making an appointment to go in and talk to her/him. From what I hear from other parents it's very common at parent teacher meetings for the teacher to say their child needs to learn to concentrate more in class at that age/ or that they're easily distracted. They're six, so it's not necessarily a big deal. One of my friends last year nearly freaked out when the teacher told her the very same thing about her daughter ( who is a lovely child, well-mannered and very intelligent) !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭BengaLover

Its pretty normal for a 6 year old to have a very short concentration span!
    To help them concentrate for longer, read with them as much as possible, and limit the tv and ds.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

How do you mean "assessment"?

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Greystoner

Not making any assumptions btw, but just a thought...

My nephew was the same at 6; lack of concentration at school, etc. He had the speech therapy etc and fell behind at school. It later transpired that he had a hearing problem. Might be worth checking out?

Also, on a different tangent altogether, fish oils/omega 3 (found in oily fish and capsules) have been proven to improve concentration and memory. (Durham University study).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

rambutman wrote: »
    Hi,

plus i reckon he probably spends a fair amount of time on the computer/playstation/watching TV.....so the rest of the time seems a bit zonked. I've tried getting him out doing sports and stuff but it doesn't seem to be doing any good. So yeah what are the options as far as assessment goes.

Thanks

Well my guy has just gone 4 and has a hard time concentrating and its not because his overloaded with computer/playstation/watching TV.
    It the way he is and always has been and always will be (unless he is finally diagnosed with adhd then he may be medicated (they wont diagnose adhd until he is at school his only at preschool)). So please dont blame your ex for letting him play computer games and watch the tv.

You will have to talk with your ex if you want your child assessed. He would have to be seen by a team of experts, psychologist and maybe speech therapist (as he has already had issues with speech). You can go private which will cost or wait for a public appointment, how to get the public appointment? you will have to talk to the school (they will make a recommendation) and both you and your ex will have to agree. If you never married the mother of your son you will have a hard time trying to get him assessed without her approval, it may just be impossible.

Talk to her about your worries and see if she shares them but whatever you do DO NOT GO DOWN THE YOUR TO BLAME ROUTE.

Best of luck.

Advertisement