Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NAMA scam underway?

• 27-01-2011 11:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭

Posted this in Irish Economy but zilch response.

A former auctioneer/valuer, Sen. Mark Daly I think, is warning that the Irish taxpayer is being scammed again, this time via flaws in NAMA. On Today PK earlier today.

As far as I can gather, this is what is happening.

NAMA is selling assets through competitive tendering, which is not an open and transparent process.

In some cases properties are being sold well below their current market value. "People in the know" -- possibly including developers who were the former owners of these properties -- are organising groups of friends to buy up the assets at the knock-down NAMA price. The asset is then sold on at a realistic market price, and the syndicate divides the spoils.

Nice one, if true. And if it is true, it's a massive scandal.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

shock horror : SF TD makes up bull**** story....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

nama nama
    nama nama
    nama nama
    nama nama
    BATMAN!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭Wompa1

FatherLen wrote: »
    nama nama
    nama nama
    nama nama
    nama nama
    BATMAN!

I LOVE THE LEADER! I get to live in this paradise and all I have to do is pay about 35 euro to the government a day for the pleasure...not including the tax on stuff I buy and my other living expenses. That was meant to paraphrase Homer explaining it to Marge but I just went on a tangent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

NAMA scama ding dong?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

steve06 wrote: »
    Eh he's a Fianna Failer from what I can see?

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

Ireland will be a country of tinkers in a few more years. Why should anyone co-operate with whats happening?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

Shock horror: reactionary boards poster fails to check facts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Wibbs wrote: »
    Eh he's a Fianna Failer from what I can see?

Well then automatically everyone here thinks hes lieing, so alls well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,372 ✭✭✭bladespin

ilovesleep wrote: »
    Ireland will be a country of tinkers in a few more years. Why should anyone co-operate with whats happening?

It already is, the mess we've made of ourselves just goes to prove this.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,129 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

How do you know it's made up?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    In some cases properties are being sold well below their current market value.

I think that is technically impossible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭drdeadlift

bladespin wrote: »
    It already is, the mess we've made of ourselves just goes to prove this.

Is it really that bad

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

shock horror : SF (WRONG!) TD (WRONG!) makes up bull**** story....(PROOF?)

Sorry but I'm going to have to fail you on that post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,949 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

McWilliams wrote about it some time ago how €2Bn is being put aside for all the solicitors being kept on NAMA's payroll and how as the state now controls so many of the banks, there's no need for NAMA.

Unless you are trying to redistribute wealth from the poorer sections of society to the richer parts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭myflipflops

Whatever about the legitimacy of this specific story, I think it's nearly certain that some people will be making under handed profits from the whole Nama/property situation.

This type of thing been ingrained in so many people for so long, it seems unlikely to change 100% overnight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,372 ✭✭✭bladespin

drdeadlift wrote: »
    Is it really that bad

I think so at times, TBH the first time this country becomes prosperous in it's history it's raped by it's government and citizens (not all maybe but the majority), really doesn't instill a lot of confidence in the people of Ireland, it's easy to blame the government that was elected, the banks that people flocked to for loans and mortgages, the developers who supplied a huge public demand, the builders who charged royally to build the houses that the public demanded, the public that bought the houses despite being told the property market was inflated, the public who demanded ever higher wages so they could buy the houses that were overpriced etc etc. oh, wait, that's just about everybody

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

SCAMA?

bladespin wrote: »
    I think so at times, TBH the first time this country becomes prosperous in it's history it's raped by it's government and citizens (not all maybe but the majority), really doesn't instill a lot of confidence in the people of Ireland, it's easy to blame the government that was elected, the banks that people flocked to for loand and mortgages, the developers who supplied a huge public demand, the builders who charged royally to build the houses that the public demanded, the public that bought the houses despite being told the property market was inflated, the public who demanded ever higher wages so they could buy the houses that were overpriced etc etc. oh, wait, that's just about everybody

I agree 100%

Zebra3 wrote: »
    McWilliams wrote about it some time ago how €2Bn is being put aside for all the solicitors being kept on NAMA's payroll and how as the state now controls so many of the banks, there's no need for NAMA.

Unless you are trying to redistribute wealth from the poorer sections of society to the richer parts.

And what are we going to do about it,NOTHING AT ALL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

I cant understand how people can lie down and roll around in such abuse.

Id say for many it will be black economy ireland. If the taxpayers want to be fools so be it. Guess what the taxpayers will get more enjoyment from - shopping their neighbours out instead of going after the real scumbags at the top.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

In truth I was rushing and under pressure while the interview was being broadcast so I didn't catch the guy's name. I hope he is a reliable source.

As I understand it, the allegation was that NAMA and/or the banks are selling on some properties quickly to get some money in ASAP.

NAMA has just said that they have not sold any assets. The (nationalised) banks may also do so, and NAMA says that the process is EU approved.

However, the central point remains. If the assets are being sold cheaply because of the haircut and a desire to offload as quickly as possible, then there is an opportunity for smart operators to make a quick buck.

The interviewees claim was that "people in the know", including developers whose properties were taken on by NAMA, were organising groups of friends and acquaintances to submit tenders on their behalf, with the aim of dividing the spoils when the assets were subsequently sold on at a profit.

Hopefully there will be more clarity on this. If it's true, there will be ructions.

It's simple.

Don't vote for candidates who support NAMA and the bailing out of failed private businesses by the taxpayer.

It's Mark Daly alright.

Story being picked up elsewhere, but there is some scepticism about its accuracy.

Will be interesting to see how this one unfolds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

All the ingredients of a good conspiracy :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

There is some good NAMA news though. They are taking some more smaller and profitable loans and are exposing the banks and shareholders to about 5% more risk than previously.
    The Government has published amendments to the National Asset Management Agency legislation this evening.
    The measures will allow the agency purchase all AIB and Bank of Ireland land and development loans. The previous threshold was all loans in excess of €20m.
    Up to 20,000 of these smaller loans will move across to NAMA under this new arrangement.
    The Government said that to ensure the speedy transfer of so many loans, the NAMA (Amendment) Bill 2011 will allow the agency to buy them on an expedited basis under the new provisions.
    The changes were agreed as part of the EU/IMF bailout and are due to be implemented in the first quarter of 2011 under the programme.
    The discounts to be applied by NAMA will be based on previous transfers to date depending on where they are and the extent to which the development of that land has been completed.
    This means that different discounts may apply depending on whether the land is located in Ireland, Northern Ireland or the UK.
    The bill also says that banks will be obliged to give NAMA accurate details of the sub €20m land and development loans they hold.
    If this is breached a maximum penalty of up to 10 years in jail could be imposed.
    There will also be a change to the mix of NAMA bonds and more risky subordinated bonds being paid to the banks for the loans up to €20m in value.
    Until now 95% of the bonds have been NAMA bonds and the balance more risky subordinated bonds, which could only be cashed in if the new agency ultimately makes a profit.
    Under the amendment only 90.1% would be NAMA bonds.
    This would mean the two banks would share a higher level of losses if NAMA ultimately losses money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

Lol. Priceless. Don't let being wrong get in the way of a good story.:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Mister men wrote: »
    Lol. Priceless. Don't let being wrong get in the way of a good story.:pac:

Being wrong is what made this country great.

You do something wrong you should suffer the consequences,this f!cking nama thing seems only to be preventing any loss for the well to do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,464 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

seriously...can anyone say they're surprised if this turned out to be true? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭whitesands

NAMA has been a scam from the start...

They have 100's of 1000's of empty apts & houses, where are these on the open market???? If anyone wants to disprove this conspiracy theory show me just 1 house or apt that nama is selling!

What they can't sell to private connected investors they will try to sell to individuals at inflated prices.
    Example: Anglo Irish now doing residential mortgages to get value
    http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/anglo-irish-now-doing-residential-mortgages-to-get-value-2509117.html

Basically, sell a house to 1 idiot at current inflated prices, they reckon (know) it's easier for loads of people to pay them small amounts than a developer owing them huge amounts. As usual the little guy get's screwed :(

This is only the tip of the iceberg...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

I love it. Do you usually dive head first into things without first looking?

whitesands wrote: »
    NAMA has been a scam from the start...

They have 100's of 1000's of empty apts & houses, where are these on the open market???? If anyone wants to disprove this conspiracy theory show me just 1 house or apt that nama is selling!

What they can't sell to private connected investors they will try to sell to individuals at inflated prices.
    Example: Anglo Irish now doing residential mortgages to get value
    http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/anglo-irish-now-doing-residential-mortgages-to-get-value-2509117.html

Basically, sell a house to 1 idiot at current inflated prices, they reckon (know) it's easier for loads of people to pay them small amounts than a developer owing them huge amounts. As usual the little guy get's screwed :(

This is only the tip of the iceberg...
    I 100% agree. I want to see the Anglo offices in St. Stephen's Green turned into an estate agent for NAMA where they have information and prices on the properties they hold and people can go in and buy them.

I'm sure many companies would like to buy an office on the cheap rather than rent and many people are still in the market to purchase homes and apartments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,068 ✭✭✭✭neris

Was it on Kenny this morning aswell that one guest said Capitalism got us into this mess and capitalism will get us out of it.

Id say if Joe Higgins heard that over in Strasbourg there,s be enough steam coming out of his ears to power the parliaments electricty for the next year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Trusting these career criminals to run an organisation like NAMA is just crazy.
    Hopefully the electorate will have some sense in the coming months. have a feeling we'll just have more antics from the funny handshake brigade once FG get a look in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

FatherLen wrote: »
    nama nama
    nama nama
    nama nama
    nama nama
    BATMAN!

Nama Nama
    Doo doo, de doo doo
    Nama Nama
    Doo doo, de doo
    Nama Nama
    Doo doo, de doo doo , de doo doo , de doo doo , de doo doo , .......

• Advertisement

bonerm wrote: »
    Nama Nama
    Doo doo, de doo doo
    Nama Nama
    Doo doo, de doo
    Nama Nama
    Doo doo, de doo doo , de doo doo , de doo doo , de doo doo , .......
    Oh NAMA, well you came and you gave without taking but I sent you away, oh NAMA well you kissed me and stopped me from shaking I need you today, oh NAMA!

Am I doing it right?

Where can i find a list of developers that are involved with nama?

I don't know how you can manipulate these closed tender processes without either having inside information or operating a cartel. Cartels only work if all participants are known to each other and capable of collaborating without anyone blowing the whistle. This gets very difficult for more than a couple of parties. If the bidders have already stitched up a deal to re-sell the properties, the party to whom they are selling could just come in and undercut them.

Part of the problem with the Irish property market is that there's not yet a record of selling prices (like there is in the UK with the Land Register) due to (supposedly) legal issues around privacy & data protection. I've used Zoopla to track UK property prices for a relative, and it's brilliant. Tells me exactly which properties sell every month in a given area, and for how much.

There is too little transparency, too late, in the Irish market.

On the other hand, determining "value" in a market which is both extremely low in transactions and subject to State manipulation/intervention is hard. Property prices are almost entirely driven by availability of credit, there is no "true" value apart from the rebuilding cost of the physical structure.

When people ask "what's it worth" they really mean "what could I sell it on for". And that's anyone's guess, since it involves predicting outcomes which are entirely driven by the future subjective decisions of people.

Lumen wrote: »
    I don't know how you can manipulate these closed tender processes without either having inside information or operating a cartel. Cartels only work if all participants are known to each other and capable of collaborating without anyone blowing the whistle. This gets very difficult for more than a couple of parties. If the bidders have already stitched up a deal to re-sell the properties, the party to whom they are selling could just come in and undercut them.

Part of the problem with the Irish property market is that there's not yet a record of selling prices (like there is in the UK with the Land Register) due to (supposedly) legal issues around privacy & data protection. I've used Zoopla to track UK property prices for a relative, and it's brilliant. Tells me exactly which properties sell every month in a given area, and for how much.

There is too little transparency, too late, in the Irish market.

On the other hand, determining "value" in a market which is both extremely low in transactions and subject to State manipulation/intervention is hard. Property prices are almost entirely driven by availability of credit, there is no "true" value apart from the rebuilding cost of the physical structure.

When people ask "what's it worth" they really mean "what could I sell it on for". And that's anyone's guess, since it involves predicting outcomes which are entirely driven by the future subjective decisions of people.
    That could be changed relatively easily mind you. Just a matter of someone stepping up and doing it.

OisinT wrote: »
    Oh NAMA, well you came and you gave without taking but I sent you away, oh NAMA well you kissed me and stopped me from shaking I need you today, oh NAMA!

Am I doing it right?

I Need Your Help, Barry Namalow

My account is overdrawn, my car slid down the hill
    I'm givin' up, I've got no more to give
    My beagle bit the vet, and my daughter's on the pill
    And my ficus plant has lost its will to live

I owe Mastercharge my life, I've got adolescent skin
    My doctor says I can't use any salt
    My waist is getting thick, but my hair is getting thin
    And my house is on the San Andreas fault...

I need your help, Barry Namalow
    I'm miserable and I don't know what to do
    Sing me a song, sing it sad and low
    No one knows how to suffer quite like you

My shrink is out of town, my love life is a joke
    My ex-wife sold my diary to Rona
    All my ashtrays are overflowed, and I don't even smoke
    And my sinuses came back from Arizona...

I'm all alone and sitting on a shelf
    I feel like feeling sorry for myself

Your songs can really comfort the unlucky
    I wish I didn't have to feel so yucky...
    I wish I didn't have to feel...

So yucky!!!

• Advertisement

neris wrote: »
    Was it on Kenny this morning aswell that one guest said Capitalism got us into this mess and capitalism will get us out of it.

Capitalism didn't get us into this mess.

If capitalism had been let take its natural course, the banks would've been let fail.

Instead what we have is socialism for the rich or welfare for the elite.

Take your pick of phrase.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Minstrel27 wrote: »

Yep :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 728 ✭✭✭joebucks

Where can i find a list of developers that are involved with nama?

http://namawinelake.wordpress.com/the-developers/

Minstrel27 wrote: »

Yep :D

Risky! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭scientific1982

What do you mean will be. We already are.

If capitalism had been let take its natural course, the banks would've been let fail.

That's overly simplistic.

But lets ask Seany Fitzpatrick shall we?

In the Marian Finucane interview in 2008 (warning: may cause heartburn), he said (at 21:10 onwards):
    If the Irish banking system had just exploded, then you don't know what could have happened. We could have actually been dominated by foreign banks, and the big difficulty there is, that they tend to pull back to their place of birth when there's difficulties, and Ireland would become the New Zealand of Europe. So that's why it's so important that the Irish government acted.

So, it was about naked protectionism of the Irish banking sector against foreign competition.

But wait, what's this about New Zealand?
    Wikipedia wrote:
    Public debt 29.3% of GDP (2009 est.)
    Unemployment: 7.3% (2009 est.)
    Ease of Doing Business Rank: 3rd

Oh noes, that sounds just awful.

Nope, it's naked capitalism.

What the rich wanted in the good times.

But lets ask Seany Fitzpatrick shall we?

In the Marian Finucane interview in 2008 (warning: may cause heartburn), he said (at 21:10 onwards):

So, it was about naked protectionism of the Irish banking sector against foreign competition.

But wait, what's this about New Zealand?

Oh noes, that sounds just awful.
    Not necessarily directed at Lumen... but building upon the quoted post.

Part of the problem here is that they used the US style of bailouts where the bad debt was bought and sold almost immediately to companies that actually profit off of holding and repossessing these properties.

In a way, our protectionist attitude has hurt us rather than help us. We can't have our cake and eat it too - for NAMA to work, we need to repossess properties and resell them to pay off the debt

We will never recoup the amount that was lost, but some money back is better than no money back.

It does not work to purchase toxic assets and then do nothing with them for an extended period of time in the hope that someday they may be valuable again.
    We had to bail out the banks. We had zero choice.
    The problem is that we were told we'd need x amount by people trying to hide something like little children try to hide a mess they've made.
    They tell their parents it's not that bad and pull the rug over slightly to the right.
    When the parents finally find the mess it's dried in and ****ed, whereas if the child just told their parents what happened and the extent of what happened immediately they may have been able to clean most of it up quickly and easily.
    These lying children need to be punished so that they learn a lesson.

How do we hold those responsible to account? Criminal investigations a la Madoff.

Look, it's not AIB and BoI's fault... and it's not all bankers and all politicians fault.
    It's really partially our fault too.

We have bailed out and own most of AIB and BoI now... let's make sure they have responsible and transparent practices into the future. Get over it and move on.
    But there needs to be a criminal inquiry as well as a civil inquiry into who did what and when... and those people need to be removed from the system and punished either in the wallet or through incarceration or both.

NAMA is a necessary evil - it needs transparency and we should demand it from our new leaders.

I just hope that with an election looming, we use it as a way to start fresh rather than keep harping on about things that we cannot do anything about now.
    You know what they say about hindsight...

There have always been thinkers in this country. Deep thinkers. Even Travellers are philosophical -- I suppose they have to be.

Nope, it's naked capitalism.

What the rich wanted in the good times.
    I disagree to an extent. I think that the way it was looked at in other countries that followed the same principle was that it was a good business practice on the part of the government to purchase these toxic assets.

The government (as a business) could profit off of these properties long-term; and short-term, they were ensuring liquidity to keep themselves afloat.
    What's good for the goose is good for the gander, in other words.

There was nothing uncapitalistic about the bailout in the US, nor (in theory) the Irish bailout/NAMA. The problem we had here was lack of truth, lack of transparency and blatant corruption.

• Advertisement
Advertisement