Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Offside Rule - As explained by The Star

• 27-01-2011 12:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭

Hi all,

I was flicking through tuesday's paper at work yesterday and had a look at the article about the Keys & Gray situation. In a little black box at the bottom of the page was a paragraph defining what the rule actually was. I've got to say it was the mos bizarre explanation I've ever seen and if its correct then I've a feeling quite a lot of people have no idea what the rule is!
    A player is considered to be in an offside position if they are in front of the ball when it is played and if there are less than two defending players closer to the opposing team goal line than he or she is.

So then to remain onside, an attacking player must always have two players of the opposing team in front of or level with him or her when the ball is played

Since when has it been 2 players?!?!?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

Goalkeepers usually the other;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 929 ✭✭✭sternn

One of the "players" is the goalkeeper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 606 ✭✭✭Seamu$

jrochie wrote: »

The goalkeeper is generally considered a player!

Oops, beaten to it...twice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,434 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

since always

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Hi all,

I was flicking through tuesday's paper at work yesterday and had a look at the article about the Keys & Gray situation. In a little black box at the bottom of the page was a paragraph defining what the rule actually was. I've got to say it was the mos bizarre explanation I've ever seen and if its correct then I've a feeling quite a lot of people have no idea what the rule is!

There was a real good example of this in the opening game at SA last summer. There was a goal disallowed for Mexico when the game was at 1-1, a few of my friends were freaking out as there was a defender on the post (it was a corner). It was the right call though, as the goal keeper was ahead of the attack, and the rule states there must be two opposition players between you and the goal.

Even the commentator gets it wrong. Amazing that there's definitely professional footballers out there who don't know that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

The goalkeeper is usually the other player but thats not always the case.
    For example if the keepre goes up for a corner and there is a counter attack.
    Reminds me of Longfords winner against Waterford in the cup final 5 or 6 years ago but no one noticed he was a mile offside as there was a defender back while the keeper had gone up for a corner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Jesus ****ing christ

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

It was Pats the year before

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I've always thought that rule should be changed. I don't think what happened in the World Cup should be something we discourage.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

You're obviously a woman It's ok :)

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭jrochie

I obviously know as much as Carlos Vela so from the clip, i can live with that!

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Even Picard isn't facepalmish enough for this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Hi all,

:eek: :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭bamboozling

Hi all,

Brilliant! I love the way you try to display your knowledge and make a fool out of the Star yet ending up making an absolute fool out of yourself in the process.

Well done.

are you always this helpful bamboozling?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

It's an easy mistake to make, lay off the OP for God sake!

I, for one, wouldn't say "2 players" whilst explaining the offside rule to someone who didnt know it. It makes it a tad more confusing. I'd say "1 player and the 'keeper". Although this isn't necessarily the case, it would be a good starting point. An offside decision where the keeper is behind the play is rare, and all it would take is one of these instances for the person to witness to learn that the 'keeper in my scenario can be substituted with any other player.

The stick being given to the OP here reminds me of 12 year olds sitting around in school picking on the one kid who thought GAA was better than football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭DH2K9

I bet you're seriously regretting creating this thread instead of googling it.

PHB wrote: »
    I've always thought that rule should be changed. I don't think what happened in the World Cup should be something we discourage.

And change it to what exactly? 1 player or 3 players? Because 3 players didn't work pre 1925 and I'd guarantee that 1 player most definitely won't work as you'd just have players standing in the penalty area constantly, changing the game as a whole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭UpTheSlashers

Fairly embarrassing moment for the commentator in that video :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Twin-go

MrStuffins wrote: »
    It's an easy mistake to make, lay off the OP for God sake!

I, for one, wouldn't say "2 players" whilst explaining the offside rule to someone who didnt know it. It makes it a tad more confusing. I'd say "1 player and the 'keeper". Although this isn't necessarily the case, it would be a good starting point. An offside decision where the keeper is behind the play is rare, and all it would take is one of these instances for the person to witness to learn that the 'keeper in my scenario can be substituted with any other player.

The stick being given to the OP here reminds me of 12 year olds sitting around in school picking on the one kid who thought GAA was better than football.

Rare or not your explaination is incorrect.:rolleyes:

OP is getting stick because they assumed instead of check the facts before they posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

Twin-go wrote: »
    OP is getting stick because they assumed instead of check the facts before they posted.

All that he assumed was that a quiet a few people would not know that that is the exact rule, he's right, a lot of people don't know the exact ruling as has been shown in the couple videos posted. No need for the op getting stick at all, some people :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

Think everyone on here should take up referring, since you all know the rules inside out and never make mistakes.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭Funkfield

I might be wrong, but....

..I think one of the players referred to is in fact the goalkeeper.

:cool:

thanks MOG7.

I've been playing District League soccer for 7 years, done a couple of basic training courses, never once has this been pointed out and the article in the star was the first time I've ever seen or heard the rule explained this way. And from the video's posted, only the Ref and linesman in the world cup game appeared to be aware of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I LOVE the offside rule. Provides so much entertainment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Think everyone on here should take up referring, since you all know the rules inside out and never make mistakes.:rolleyes:

I did :cool:

I am a Grade 2 Referee!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

this is quite possibly the best thread ive ever seen in soccer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭Sappy404

dan1895 wrote: »
    It was Pats the year before

I was at that match. It's bad enough when a Boards.ie user doesn't know the rule, but when a referee, two assistants, a commentator and an analyst don't see it, it really is embarrassing, even if it didn't really change the result.

Not that I'm bitter or anything.

Rare or not your explaination is incorrect.:rolleyes:

I, for one, wouldn't say "2 players" whilst explaining the offside rule to someone who didnt know it. It makes it a tad more confusing. I'd say "1 player and the 'keeper". Although this isn't necessarily the case, it would be a good starting point.

Funny, maybe you should get stick for not comprehanding my post.

if you had, you'd know there was no need to point out that my explanation is incorrect. :rolleyes:

Funny, maybe you should get stick for not comprehanding my post.

if you had, you'd know there was no need to point out that my explanation is incorrect. :rolleyes:

I comprehended your post correctly. I was pointing out the explanation you were giving the less knowledgeable was incorrect. This just adds to the missunderstandings of the rule. Why not when explaining the off-side rule you tell the the correct rule as you do know it. Instead of telling them 1 player and the goal keeper, you say 2 players where the goal keeper is considered a player. It's not that hard.

I comprehended your post correctly. I was pointing out the explanation you were giving the less knowledgeable was incorrect. This just adds to the missunderstandings of the rule. Why not when explaining the off-side rule you tell the the correct rule as you do know it. Instead of telling them 1 player and the goal keeper, you say 2 players where the goal keeper is considered a player. It's not that hard.

No it's not that hard, but what you must understand is, if someone has been watching football already and doesn't know the offside rule, they're gonna be a little slow anyway aren't they?

No point complicating things! Idiots are people too!

Coming soon to a thread near you......Why do players from the same team wear the same coloured jersey?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 607 ✭✭✭dougal

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Coming soon to a thread near you......Why do players from the same team wear the same coloured jersey?

And closely followed by Why is that guy in the green jersey allowed to pick the ball up - except when it's kicked back to him on purpose by one of his own team?

• Advertisement

offside.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭flas

Sappy404 wrote: »
    I was at that match. It's bad enough when a Boards.ie user doesn't know the rule, but when a referee, two assistants, a commentator and an analyst don't see it, it really is embarrassing, even if it didn't really change the result.

that was a beautiful day!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

I've been playing District League soccer for 7 years, done a couple of basic training courses, never once has this been pointed out
    Ah would ye stop. I'm not a young man any more and this could send me over the edge.

How can you play a game for so long and not know what you are doing???

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,445 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Sappy404 wrote: »

You can't be offside in your own half.

You can if it's from a throw-in!

• Advertisement

Indeed you are right. An absolutely spot on assessment of the offside rule from you there. I can't argue with it.

However in reference to the goal with which you initially posted you'll see on the video that the goalscorer was at least 5 yards inside the opposition half when the ball was played. That I can and will argue against.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

dan1895 wrote: »
    The goalkeeper is usually the other player but thats not always the case.
    For example if the keepre goes up for a corner and there is a counter attack.
    Reminds me of Longfords winner against Waterford in the cup final 5 or 6 years ago but no one noticed he was a mile offside as there was a defender back while the keeper had gone up for a corner.

for longford's second goal against waterford there were 2 balls on the pitch at the time. came from a throw in. it was a quality goal too, but play should've been stopped.
    still though, two fai cups for the town. quality!!

Advertisement