Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bands & Musicians forum suggestion

Options
  • 27-01-2011 12:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭

Following a knockaround of ideas on the B&M forum, I was told to suggest a change which might improve the structure and useability of the forum here.

Currently, the forum is experiencing a lot of growth with new musicians looking for band members to form groups right around the country. However, in the thread titles there's normally only around 50% of threads which include a location making it difficult to identify who's near to you and who isn't. Mousing over the thread title to see the first few lines of the thread doesn't always yield answers either, as people either put the location at the end of their post , or sometimes not at all.

My suggestion is to adopt a cumpulsory drop down menu for new threads, similar to that in the DIY Motors forum recently activated. The drop down would include all 32 counties, and an 'other' option. Ideally, for asthetics, I would humbly suggest the drop downs be surrounded by square brackets similar to the 'site development' ones.

I don't see any disadvantages to doing this, and it will better organise the forum as a whole. It's particularly advantageous to dialup users (One of whom was suggesting the same as this in the forum this week) who need to sort through categories quickly. It will make searching for local musicians much faster.

As the DIY motors forum didn't have thread drop down titles, and now does, I assume it can be added into an existing forum. With respect, I would ask the Admins and Mods of the forum to look into this suggestion as I feel it would make an already fantastic forum even better.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,958 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

What about if you are looking for musicians from an area as opposed to a county? Example. Someone from Maynooth which is technically Kildare but they might play most of their gigs in Dublin.

Maybe an idea would be to include in the Charter that it is compulsory to include location in the title.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

That's the problem, there's already advice like that for creating thread titles, and it's not working. I would suggest that the counties drop down is best of all, because if I was looking for a band in Munster, automatically, I'd check all the Cork/Kerry/Waterford posts - and it would still be faster than having to trawl through threads about Dublin/Galway, and click into all the threads without locations in their title.

With respect, I think that most people will be looking for musicians within their county - and anyone looking for neighbouring counties will have the sense to search for those too.

Advertisement