Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do dogs dream?

• 27-01-2011 12:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭

Hi everyone. first post in the animal and pet section of boards.

Ive noticed that sometimes when my 13 week old puppy is sleeping she appears to be having a dream in that she starts to tremor a little or twitch. Today she even appeared as if she wanted to bark in her sleep:)

Doesnt bother me but just wandering if other dog/pet owners have noticed the same with their pets.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭fifib

yea I reckon they do dream. My puppy was making these sucking noises in her sleep the other evening and her tongue was sticking out. so funny she woke up when i started laughing and was ages til she realised her tongue was still sticking out. Reckon she was dreaming of times gone by with her mammy!

Bizkit Sleep Running/barking dog - this guy seems to have the best dreams!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

My 2.5 year old dog still sucks in his sleep, and runs and barks, mostly snores and farts in his sleep though :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Barking is the one with Darcey. Her nose and ears twitch and then she starts barking like a Chihuaua. She barks more when she's asleep than she does when she's awake :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

seamus wrote: »
    Barking is the one with Darcey. Her nose and ears twitch and then she starts barking like a Chihuaua. She barks more when she's asleep than she does when she's awake :D

Please don't let collie here know that... she barks as often as she can get away with it.. Only time we are sure of quiet is when she is asleep

She looks dreadful when she wakes up and I am sure they dream of bad as well as good things.

And I am sure cats dream too, paws going up and down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,521 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Graces7 wrote: »
    And I am sure cats dream too, paws going up and down.

It's very cute watching it happen.
    One of ours was growling and making weird noises in his sleep one evening an woke up with a very surprised/confused look on his face. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭memomy

I would certainly think they do. Mine often starts off with a little twitch of the nose and legs. The wagging of the tail usually follows ending with her barking to the point where she wakes herself up and is looking around the room completely confused. She then turns & sees us and gets slightly overrun with excitement.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭RTT

I certainly think they do. My great dane begins by twitching his legs when hes asleep and then breaks into a full canter!! Very funny to see it. A bit like that vid on you tube when the dog actually runs into the wall when he is asleep!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭Eoinite

I definitely think so if mine is anything to go by! She's constantly making noises when she sleeps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

My guy has woken himself up a few time barking or farting in his sleep!! :pac: :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Yep. our sheepdog has her legs moving like she's sprinting
    I reckon she's rounding up sheep in her dreams

Some days she goes out the fields and does it on her own. I love the enthusiasm but at least wait until you're told to do it :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Ha I can imagine you walking out your back door to find a flock of sheep and a very proud dog!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

My dog is hilarious. It's the only time he growls and barks.

He takes off on this mad sprint and barks. Then he stops and growls before beginning to whine :pac:

Then he turns over and sleeps on. He does it every night without fail

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

I don't know about my dog, but my old cat definately had dreams...certain types of dreams you would usually associate with teenage boys...never was able to look at him the same way since!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭Jinxi

ha ha...wouldn't you know cats are dirty minded!!

Dogs definitly dream. My collie used to suck as a puppy)stopped arounf 6=7 months.
    She has good dreams where she happy barks and pants, bad dreams, when she whimpers and brave dreams when she growls and barks defensivly(never does that in real life...coward).
    She also simulates eating in her sleep...her fav dreams I bet because its her favorite pastime after walks in real life!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,978 ✭✭✭wyrn

I know my cat definitely dreams. He twitches aswell. When he's lying on his side, his paws move as if he's running. Oh and he snores, I mean he really really really snores.

His brother (RIP) was the same and one day he was snoring so loudly he woke himself up and looked around to see who/what had made that sound. It was the funniest sight I've seen in a long time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

I used to influence my dogs dreams - I'd whisper 'pssst' or meow and she would do sleep barks. It was so cute.

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭Dinky22

Yes, dogs definitely dream as we do. I have a very vulnerable, nervous little rescue dog who was badly treated. I let her sleep with me as she is so terrified. She has never barked or made any kind of noise except on occasion when she is sound asleep she screams. Obviously a very nasty dream from her past. I pet her and calm her down and she goes back to sleep again.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Elliee

My dog is dreaming right now, passed out on the floor, just gave the tinyest little "woof" in his sleep, paws going.
    At least he is having fun!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭stereo_steve

Surprised this hasn't been posted yet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭fifib

Surprised this hasn't been posted yet

see post #2 :D brill vid!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement