Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Would you cancel Sky after this happening to you?

• 27-01-2011 1:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭

Firstly i rang sky after christmas to put sky sports onto my package, the girl i was talking to told me this would bring my subscription up to €78 per month including €15 multiroom. I said that was ok.

Seen my account as debited on 4th Jan for €44.82 previous months subscription without sports. Happy out i was.......until this morning when i noticed they had debited my account €132.87 talk about ripping me off. So to make a long story short rang them asked to speak to a manager as girl was uselss. He said i was paying a month in advance ok that's still only €78. They have overcharged me by €54.87 and no explaination and no refund will be granted either. So much for being a loyal customer with them for the past 12 years.

My question to you is i am so determined to cancel this and change to UPC or something like it. What other packages are out there. Should i shop around?:mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭stephendevlin

Maybe it was a pro rated thing that the girl could not explain. She may have been inexperienced. You should speak to a supervisor and have them explain it to you before we can assume anything

Scratch what I said above I did the sums and pro rated doesnt seem to be it. Call back to a supervisor and have them explain it part by part

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 966 ✭✭✭Rippy

Ask for a full statement of account to be posted to you.
    If you are not happy with the charges, tell them you are cancelling and exactly why.
    You will probably be offered an incentive to stay.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭kardarie

They have went through the breakdown with me but still doesn't make any sense. More or less charged twice in one month for sky sports. I told the manager i was thinking of cancelling and all he said was that was my choice.

Not a happy Sky customer at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

kardarie wrote: »
    They have went through the breakdown with me but still doesn't make any sense. More or less charged twice in one month for sky sports. I told the manager i was thinking of cancelling and all he said was that was my choice.

They said that to me once too when I had problems with the HD receiver - so I called their bluff and told them fine - lets cancel it now.
    Was offered 2 mts reduced rental - but was delighted to say "it's a shame you did not think to be more polite while I had my issue - please go ahead and cancel the service"...

Never regretted it - well except for the pause/play feature... Oh and losing the Irish stations (not that there is every anything on them anyway)...

kardarie wrote: »

Yeah even from what your writing is not adding up without further details.

I had an uncle that every couple of months decided to cancel he got months free every turn about.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭finty

Looks to me like you are going from paying in arrears to paying in advance.

So in the month you switch over you end up paying twice. ie at the end of jan say they charge you for jan in arrears and then charge you for feb in advance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 327 ✭✭jc84

left sky last year after a girl from sky rang me with an offer for sky sports for €5 for 6 months at no extra cost, so i said fine then my bill was €260, double what i was normally paying. When i rang them they told me i had changed my package midway through the month and had i done it at the end it wouldn't have been extra. the sneaky b*tch rang during half way on purpose. i cancelled and never went back

Call thier bluff. Sky are on the news this morning boasting £500m profits

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

Can you view your statement through sky active?

Press Interactive > Sky Customer Service > Option 2 - Check your sky statement. Box will need to dial out but its a freephone number.

If you choose to view your current bill, it Should give you a breakdown of exactly what they have charged you for and the dates covered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭Badgermonkey

Before I cancelled Sky I had the unfortunate experience of being overcharged and having to interact with its Scottish cust servs dept.

On two of the three occasions, I had to run through the maths with them, ask them to stop quoting sterling as my bill was settled in euro and then confirm with the third agent on what date my package would revert back to what it originally had been.

The third agents information proved erroneous, cancelled Sky, got Freesat HD and my finances, reception and possibly BP showed a great improvement thereafter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 831 ✭✭✭daingeanrob

UPC all the way lad, not the same tv as sky but all in all a bargin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭cartman51773

i had this hassle with them over an offer i got. i got sports added on well before christmas and my bill should have been 42.00 but the first bill after the switch was 78.00. they say its because you have to pay for the sports a month in advance. its a scam if you ask me. so your paying your package of 42.00 and they are also adding in the sports again for 34.00. then they told me that as my bill ran from the 9th they would charge me for the 1st to the 8th. so thats where the extra comes from. its an awkward way of doing things alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭slamman

Was it the sky office in Cork you were talking to? because they are very unhelpfull, Keep trying different sky phone numbers till you hear an accent other than Irish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Dymo

The figure doesn't seem right to me but I remember having a discussion with sky looking for a similar explanation and they were right.

example:
    Sky bill you on the 4rd of the month direct debit taken in the 10th of the month.

You ring on the 5th of the month to change package to include sky sports. So the next payment goes out of your account at €44. Next payment will be €32 for this months Sky and €78 for next month so the bill should be €110

Works both ways, when you downgrade your package you get a credit.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭kardarie

This seems to be the problem all right they charged me a month in advance but girl on phone didn't state this when i was adding sports if i had known it was going to be €109 i wouldn't of added it at all. What can you do sure there always right. Im going to ring them and try the cancel the account and see what happens, as people have said they should be eager to keep customers and offer something.

UPC have offered me sports & movies free for first 2 months if i change. Just waiting to see if its available in my area first as it may not be.

It was the Scottish sky customer service i rang, have always got on very good with them before with regard to offers im surprised by the telepone call yesterday as i have been with them over 12 years. Seems doesn't mean much too them. Well let you know how i get on.

Thanks for all the replys nice to know its not only me being screwed. ;)

Advertisement