Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Limerick County Constituency 2011

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

It'd help significantly towards a discussion if you offered any view yourself.

/mod

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭A Country Voice

Hi,
    Well Im a floating voter in the constituency myself.
    Im just trying to figure out how to set up a poll at the minute.
    I have the list of candidtaes here and was going to put up a poll to see what others thought.
    I voted FF last time, but the constituency has changed now, and all the people we voted for here in East Limerick are now moved into the city constituency. The map was for clarification for people who may be confused as to exactly what constituency they are now in. I must figure out this poll thing and get it up.

Thanks
    A Country Voice

Ok I must have missed the "start a poll" button when I was submitting the thread.

The list of candidates is:
    Collins Niall FF
    Cregan John FF
    Dillon John Ind
    Heffernan James Lab
    Neville Dan FG
    O'Donnell Bill FG
    O'Donovan Patrick FG

I'm a floating voter as already stated, I have voted FF in the past but I know nothing about the 2 guys from out West. Im from the old East Limerick Constituency.
    Note: I am unaware of any Green Party Candidate. I emailed Sinn Fein Press Office last week and havent yet received a reply. I am also unaware of any other Ind candidates.

Who will you give your 1,2,3,4,5,6,7 to?

A Country Voice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,978 ✭✭✭445279.ie

I think FG have shot themselves in the foot by putting forward 3 candidates.

It'll split the vote too much. O'Donovan will get West Limerick votes and O'Donnell will get East Limerick votes.

Not sure yet who I'm going to vote for myself, but definitely not FF :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

I'm actually very disappointed with the quality of candidate in the Limerick West/Limerick county constituency. None of them really have a decent profile in their parties at all and will be unlikely to gain any position of note in the new government. I think Dan Neville will probably top the poll and then probably another Fine Gael candidate along with probably Niall Collins. I can't really see James Heffernan getting elected but he should perform well enough.

In 2007 the voting went like this:

Total Valid Poll 40431. Quota 10108

Niall Collins (FF) 10396 first preference (25.71%)
    John Cregan (FF) 8701 first preference (21.52%)
    Dan Neville (FG) 8314 first preference (20.56%)
    Michael Finucane (FG) 7839 first preference (19.39%)
    James Heffernan (Lab) 2277 first preference (5.63%)
    Michael Brennan (PD) 1935 first preference (4.79%)
    James Nix (G) 969 first preference (2.40%)

I'd expect Collins' vote to drop to 15%ish Cregan's to around 10%ish. I'd imagine Heffernan will increase his vote to around 10% but you never know in Limerick seeing as Labour have never really done well in Limerick West. Neville should top the poll with around 28% of the vote maybe. His transfers will surely go to the other Fine Gael candidates.

John Dillon should do well in east Limerick and I'd imagine he might capture 10% of the vote aswell. I don't really know anything about the other 2 fine Gael candidates but I'd imagine Fine Gael will get two elected and Cregan and Collins will battle it out for the third.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 604 ✭✭✭angeleyes

I am only two miles away from the cut off point from the Limerick City constituency - and although I know which party I will vote for I am annoyed that as someone in East Limerick I have to vote for someone who is based in NCW - its total madness.

Hopefully, there might be reform of the Dail during the term of the new govt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭PomBear

Is Maurice Quinliven running? He should do quite well.

(1000th post! whoop!)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

The average person in the country does not have a clue who either Collins, Cregan or Neville is.

Feel sorry for the all non gombeens living in Limerick County.

BTW, Quinlivan is running in Limerick City.

445279.ie wrote: »
    I think FG have shot themselves in the foot by putting forward 3 candidates.

It'll split the vote too much. O'Donovan will get West Limerick votes and O'Donnell will get East Limerick votes.

Not sure yet who I'm going to vote for myself, but definitely not FF :)

I agree that 3 candidates for FG seems like a mistake. As with many many voters, "not sure who to vote for but definitely not FF" this seems to be the position of a lot of people. Its a new constituency, not Limerick West. Its a whole new ball game.
    I dont know how anyone can predict whos going to get in really. With so many people saying they wont vote FF, and FG splitting their vote, Heffernan could waltz in. Also, if this predominantly rural constituency decides to vote in large numbers for John Dillon he could sneak in. A lot of people could stick with their party allegiences and the FG and FF boys get in. I think with all the variables of a new constituency with large new areas of voters in it, The John Dillon factor, FG splitting the vote, its way too hard to call, anything could happen in my opinion
    And I still have no idea of who Im going to vote for!! :D
    A Country Voice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 they are not all the same

I think that Labour will do well here. Heffernan is the strongest candidate in my opinion having met the most of them. an honest lad, which is unusual in that game. I know him and all his family and they are very genuine people, the party has been going well in west limerick aswell, Goulding is putting a lot of work in for labour, he is well thought of around NCW.

For FG neville has been there long enough its time his like handed over, they have one young candidate and another stones in bruff, and another gravy train merchant in pallas. FF are a disgrace.

I know that Heffernan has been working very hard on the council since the election. if labour win seats in places like this Eamon Gilmore will be taoiseach.

• Advertisement
Advertisement