Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Brilliant- Absolutely Brilliant - Can't See It Ever Happening Here Though

• 27-01-2011 2:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,018 ✭✭✭✭

Teenager Scott Wilson was refused a cheeseburger at McDonald’s as he was wearing tracksuit bottoms.

The 16-year-old was told by staff he and his mates ‘looked like causing trouble’ and so wouldn’t be served.

Undaunted, Scott went straight home, changed into a shirt and tie and returned to get his cheeseburger, fries and soft drink.

He said: ‘I was just wearing a normal jacket, with some joggers, because I’d come straight from work.

‘Another friend was wearing tracksuit bottoms, and the other was wearing jeans with pumps.

‘We walked up to the counter, and started trying to order but the woman behind the counter just said, “I’m not serving you,” and we were asked to leave.

‘We were confused. We just looked at each other. When we asked why, she said we looked like we had been causing trouble.’

Bosses at the restaurant in Leyland, near Preston, said they had been forced to implement a policy, which includes banning under-18s wearing tracksuits and hoodies after 7pm, because of customers and staff being threatened.

Manager Nigel Dunnington said: ‘Unfortunately, this lad has been caught in the middle of things when I have tried to do the right thing.’

http://www.metro.co.uk/news/853825-teen-refused-service-at-mcdonalds-for-wearing-tracksuit-bottoms

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/8283276/McDonalds-bans-tracksuits.html

http://news1.capitalbay.com/news/mcdonald_s_bans_boy_in.html

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,414 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I'm loving it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,968 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Joggers?

Pumps?

Wtf is he on about? :confused:

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,605 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Im pretty sure that cant happen over here, as it is discrimination. He should have went "Falling down" on their asses!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 664 ✭✭✭craggles

Stupid. It's a McDonalds restaurant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,398 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

It's f*cking ridiculous...I hope it never happens here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭String

It would also mean most places closing down because of lack of reasonably dressed people

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Undaunted, Scott went straight home, changed into a shirt and tie and returned to get his cheeseburger, fries and soft drink.

More fool him. 1-0 McDonald's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭stephendevlin

What about Pajamas??? :D Ban them too! Or is that only in Tescos

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭strokemyclover

McDonald's banning trackie's from buying food? Isn't that like drug dealers refusing to sell heroin to a junkie because he has gammy teeth?

Tabnabs wrote: »

Yeah I would have hit the manager ....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Now on to those who wear pyjamas outside hopefully.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭seanbmc

Hoodies? Even with the hood down?

Bit far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭we'llallhavetea_old

Fcuking stupid idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭jimthemental

Can't understand this. There's a certain way you dress for work, weddings, funerals, even to go to a nightclub. There is no way you should have to adhere to a dress code to buy a bag of fake chips in McDonalds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Quite right too, whenever you stop and look at the general appearance and attire the population, be it here or the UK is appalling. Scruffy louts! The whole trackie/white socks mentality needs wiping out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

Jaysus that's the lowest of the low, when the person working at McDonalds won't give you a bag of greasy AIDS because you're not dressed well enough for it's standards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

mike65 wrote: »
    Quite right too, whenever you stop and look at the general appearance and attire the population, be it here or the UK is appalling. Scruffy louts! The whole trackie/white socks mentality needs wiping out.

+1 Proper order IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,822 ✭✭✭stimpson

antodeco wrote: »
    Im pretty sure that cant happen over here, as it is discrimination. He should have went "Falling down" on their asses!

Nope - there are 9 grounds for discrimination in legislation:

Gender, Marital status, Family status, Age, Disability, Race, Sexual Orientation, Religious Belief and Membership of the Traveller community

Unless you consider scumbaggery as a Race or Religion or Sexual Orientaion then there is no discrimination.

TBH, if Mackers banned tracksuits they would be out of business very quickly.

mike65 wrote: »

So if you wore a tracksuit I could call you a scruffy lout??????? :rolleyes:

Yes thier mothers should send them all out in suits and not sports gear

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

if they are going to ban trackkies they would want to take a look at themselves and the ingredients they use
    burger king is way nicer anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Ebbs

Eh...what?

I can understand hoodies tbh due to the whole concealing bit...but trackie bottoms? Is it incase they are able to run faster?

Next they'll be banning speed stripes on shoes :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Splendour

Am not a fan of tracksuits myself (unless if in a gym) but I don't necessarily assume that everyone wearing a one is trouble! Think that Mac Donalds should get themselves a bouncer instead of putting a blanket ban on tracksuits.
    A tie to eat in Mac Donalds-who would've ever thought...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

lol, so a business wont serve him because of they discriminate against what he wears. His response is to comply to their policy and still give them his money.

What a moron.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭giant_midget

They should also look at banning those fat scrubbers that wear pj's to shops...knackers the whole lot of em...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,983 ✭✭✭Degag

Banning about 90% of your customers?

Ronald won't be happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,983 ✭✭✭Degag

Jim wrote: »
    lol, so a business wont serve him because of they discriminate against what he wears. His response is to comply to their policy and still give them his money.

What a moron.

I guess if you have a craving.......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭The Waltzing Consumer

That's hilarious. It would be pretty funny if they start doing that here. A step in the right direction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭Gunsfortoys

I can't believe the guy got changed into a suit and went back. He must have a serious McDonalds addiction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,166 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Upon his return he asked:

"I can haz cheezburger?"

And the internet applauded.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

how many skangs have a shirt and tie at home?.. i can see it now "a gang of marauding youths assaulted 4 professional men, robbed their shirt and tie then entered mcdonalds for a big mac meal before discovering the many uses for tie after watching goodfellas"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Can't understand this. There's a certain way you dress for work, weddings, funerals, even to go to a nightclub. There is no way you should have to adhere to a dress code to buy a bag of fake chips in McDonalds.

But remember, if you dare to wear a tracksuit at all, you must be a scumbag.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭jimthemental

But remember, if you dare to wear a tracksuit at all, you must be a scumbag.

You're right, in future when getting fast food I'll go in the door with just my jocks on. I was already fairly close to this situation the last night I was in Sams in KK, reckless but they still didn't throw me out because I wasn't causing trouble. :o

PS: The only thing that is 100% pike wear are Fred Perry jumpers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

That's absolute bollocks, tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

baz2009 wrote: »
    That's absolute bollocks, tbh.

Don't forget, a lot of the heads in this thread will want to be safe in the knowledge they can go to Maccy D's without having to worry about the scary people in the tracksuits. lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

More fool him for going back.

I wear tracky bottoms and a t-shirt some evenings when I'm chilling out at home and I wouldn't change out of them just to go to the shops. If they don;t want my money, there's plenty of other places that do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Brilliant. I love him going back in a shirt and tie (but nothing mentioned about his trousers? Presumably, still wearing "joggers").

In my mind I'm picturing him showing up in a tux! :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Now it looks way better for him when he sues

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

They should have smashed the place up like actuall scruffs. That would have showed 'em.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

It would be better if ruffians dressed like they do in A Clockwork Orange.

Put a little effort in lads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭iPlop

What about Pajamas??? :D Ban them too! Or is that only in Tescos

They should be banned everywhere.Last summer there was people wearing them in the zoo:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

craggles wrote: »
    Stupid. It's a McDonalds restaurant.

Stupid McDonalds is a chip shop not a restaurant.

it just shows that people should not be judged on how the are dressed. fair play to him he went away changed his clothes and went back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

RichieC wrote: »

No the don't, the look like all lads their age.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

Wow. That is really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really fukking retarded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭Gunsfortoys

strobe wrote: »
    Wow. That is really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really fukking retarded.

Really?

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Debthree

What about Pajamas???
    They should be banned everywhere.

Even in bed? :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,018 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

strobe wrote: »

Eh..... what is?

Debthree wrote: »

definitely in bed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭iPlop

Debthree wrote: »

Outside the house!

• Advertisement
Advertisement