Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you correct people if they call you British?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

56lcd wrote: »
    maybe you missed out on geography classes at school.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Britain

nothern Ireland is part of the united kingdom of britain and Ireland but northern Ireland is not part of britain.

your passport does not say british

Uk-Passport-Informat-Guide.jpg&t=1&h=78&w=55&usg=__UILUOXcdrD1Td1l7-KQcZ1wcXmQ=220px-Ukpassport-cover.jpg

It does however say 'Nationality: British' aswell as holders being referred to as British passport holders.

/pedantic retaliation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Jim wrote: »
    As I said, British first and Irish second. I don't mean Irish in terms of tri colour etc. But rather that "I'm from Ireland, this is my home" Irish. Irish would mean something very different to those people. But always British first.
    Well, i don't think many Unionists consider themselves Irish. I'd say a lot of them would put Ulster Scots before Irish. In Northern Ireland anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Yes I do. Rarely has it happened with the person being serious though, usually it is someone having a laugh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭De Hipster

maybe you missed out on geography classes at school.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Britain

nothern Ireland is part of the united kingdom of britain and Ireland but northern Ireland is not part of britain.

your passport does not say british

Uk-Passport-Informat-Guide.jpg&t=1&h=78&w=55&usg=__UILUOXcdrD1Td1l7-KQcZ1wcXmQ=220px-Ukpassport-cover.jpg

Thanks for the info...also see here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

It has never happened but If it did I would correct them. we mix up the polish and Lithuanian nationalities all the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

KeithAFC wrote: »
    Well, i don't think many Unionists consider themselves Irish. I'd say a lot of them would put Ulster Scots before Irish. In Northern Ireland anyway.

Rofl, I guess said Unionists were born in Scotland then moved to northern Ireland then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 765 ✭✭✭Ticktactoe

Ya i have but they are so thick they dont get it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,129 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I'm between a rock and a hard place, as I've got dual-nationality. I have to alternate, depending on which nationality is getting strung up by the balls by the locals in the relevant jurisdiction that day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Andy Murray is British when he wins and Scottish when he loses according to some newspapers ;)

If any of you achieve success and fame a British newspaper will probably claim you
    Happened Colin Farrell I believe. And Limerick's favorite son Richard Harris

I think you'll find that Andy Murray gets called Scottish a lot more than Tim Herman used to get called English. This whole British when he wins, Scottish when he loses is a complete fancy.

Oh, you lot still keep claiming Arthur Guinness as Irish so I guess we are all guilty of that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Depends on the money

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭cutymonalisa

This just happened to me over Xmas while in Asia. There was this really annoying Canadian lady in her 60's on a tour I did - a teacher in an International School in Japan no less. After being in her company over some 2 weeks she asks me on the last evening to explain the 'British Isles' to her. She was convinced Ireland was part of the UK and I was British. It came as news to her that Ireland is a seperate soverign state - I even showed her my passport and she laughted really condecendingly and said 'but your still really British right?' Agggggghhhhhhhhhhhh:mad:

Sisko wrote: »
    Rofl, I guess said Unionists were born in Scotland then moved to northern Ireland then.
    Nope. Culture plays a big part in it. Many different elements to your nationality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

If they're a yank I just call them Mexican pr*cks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭cardwizzard

Yeah I always correct people if they assume that. Keith is right a lot of people in the North consider themselves not Irish, but their not British either. Dual passports and all that. Northern Irish I suppose. Have never heard of a place called Ulster Scottish.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭56lcd

It does not matter what they consider themselves to be because the reality is that they are Northern Irish people that reside in the united kingdom og britain and northern Ireland.
    you can only be british if you are from Scotland, Wales or England .....
    there is no such flag as the british flag , there is the union jack which is the flag of the united kingdom of britain and Northern Ireland.

• Advertisement

This just happened to me over Xmas while in Asia. There was this really annoying Canadian lady in her 60's on a tour I did - a teacher in an International School in Japan no less. After being in her company over some 2 weeks she asks me on the last evening to explain the 'British Isles' to her. She was convinced Ireland was part of the UK and I was British. It came as news to her that Ireland is a seperate soverign state - I even showed her my passport and she laughted really condecendingly and said 'but your still really British right?' Agggggghhhhhhhhhhhh:mad:

You'd think she might understand considering that most Canadians just LOVE being referred to as American.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

Everyone know the Irish are well liked in other countries and definitely more liked than the British. Perhaps sometimes it is just the English language that makes them ask are you English.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Luxie

I think you'll find that Andy Murray gets called Scottish a lot more than Tim Herman used to get called English. This whole British when he wins, Scottish when he loses is a complete fancy.

Oh, you lot still keep claiming Arthur Guinness as Irish so I guess we are all guilty of that.

Daniel Day-Lewis is a bit of a grey area as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

there is no such flag as the british flag , there is the union jack which is the flag of the united kingdom of britain and Northern Ireland.

I'm pretty sure it's called the Union flag

It's only the Union Jack when it's on a ship like the Royal Navy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

*Pop goes the can of worms*

Look who's back :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

That's simply not true. "British" refers to non-identical geographical and political entities.

Applying smartarse pedantry to ambiguous words is...something something.

Unless your subtle de-capitalisation of "British" has some underlying meaning I've missed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭blaze1

yup..

Im English not British :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭An tSaoi

There's a shocking amount of ignorance in this thread regarding the North. People there can choose to have Irish or British citizenship (or both), depending on which side they feel they draw their heritage from (if either).

They're not all Irish.

They're not all British.

They've not all got dual cizienship.

Even though it's not physically part of Britain, as long as they fill out the right form, they can have British citizenship just like anyone in England, Scotland or Wales. Ditto the Irish-leaning Northerners. It's their choice which nationality they consider themselves, regardless of borders or geography.

Come on lads, this is basic stuff.

It does not matter what they consider themselves to be because the reality is that they are Northern Irish people that reside in the united kingdom og britain and northern Ireland.
    Yes i know. I fly the Union Flag from my house, the Ulster Banner, Ulster Scots banner. My culture and background is not Irish. Don't know what else to tell you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭blaze1

De Hipster wrote: »
    You'd think she might understand considering that most Canadians just LOVE being referred to as American.

haha in the same way call aussies brits, they love that

Or hold a British Passport - what the document is called.

On 1 January 1983, upon the coming into force of the British Nationality Act 1981, every Citizen of the United Kingdom and Colonies became either a British Citizen, British Dependent Territories Citizen or British Overseas Citizen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

Nah I only correct them if they call me Scottish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

Yes i know. I fly the Union Flag from my house, the Ulster Banner, Ulster Scots banner. My culture and background is not Irish. Don't know what else to tell you.

you fly 3 banners from your house? and it the other guys who are called nationalists???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭An tSaoi

Give it up 56lcd, you've been proved wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭jimthemental

Is that a racial slur by any chance?

Guinness was from Kildare and from a family with British roots, I'd say he'd be considered fairly Irish.

• Advertisement

Is the thread not about Irish people being called British? How come it has turned the other way?

you fly 3 banners from your house? and it the other guys who are called nationalists???
    Whats wrong with that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Nope. I am British.

Of course you are, We were in Portugal having a few drinks with some Unionists from North Down and the funny thing was the English people with us in the bar would keep referring to us all as Irish, coming over **** talking about the Troubles, all in good humour though..

I was in Utrecht and some Dutch guy called me an English Mother****er and spat at me, I punched him quick and yelled I was Irish, No problem after that..

Is the thread not about Irish people being called British? How come it has turned the other way?
    Dunno. He kind of tried to dictate in the thread about nationality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

You thought everyone in Northern Ireland thought of themselves as Irish? You only have to travel to Northern Ireland and you would see that isn't the case.
    I have a rule: when in NI, I don't ask their nationality or their religion, as it usually offends. The only time I feel it's of any interest to me is if staying with friends in Belfast, is if the estate is nationalist or orange, as most of the places I've stayed at tend to be one extreme of another (either Falls road, or an estate as they so nicely put it "it was a troublesome spot 10 years ago, but it's quite now. Just don't mention you're Irish, as everyone claims to know an ex-UDA, or have been one"). That, and as my mate drives a car with a free state reg, so we gotta be careful.
    Used to get it in France quite a bit and then see a dramatic change in their attitude towards you once corrected
    Aye. When asking a French person if they speak english, asking if they speak "english" will get a "no", and there'll be no rooms in the hotel. Asking if they speak "irelanda", you'll get a yes, and find that they/their mother/father/brother/sister/uncle/grandfather/cousin is/has holidayed/studied/worked in Ireland. Heck, we once asked someone to ring a taxi for us, and when he found out that we were Irish, he gave us a lift to our destination.

=-=

People have mistaken me for German/english/culchie/Nordic/etc. I usually correct them, and move on.

Dunno. He kind of tried to dictate in the thread about nationality.

Fair enough. So do you think all people from the North are free to decide what nationality or whatever the want to be? Just curious no malice.

charlemont wrote: »
    Of course you are, We were in Portugal having a few drinks with some Unionists from North Down and the funny thing was the English people with us in the bar would keep referring to us all as Irish, coming over **** talking about the Troubles, all in good humour though..

I was in Utrecht and some Dutch guy called me an English Mother****er and spat at me, I punched him quick and yelled I was Irish, No problem after that..
    The English are famous for that. Just ignore them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Yeah I usually just say "I'm Irish''

To someone with basic English its a pretty easy mistake to make. A lot of Dutch have said its a lot easier to distinguish a Scot from an Englishman than an Englishman and an Irishman.

No one ever uses the term British apart from Americans who say it when they're referring to English people.

They also seem really disappointed when you explain you're not anti-English.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Is that a racial slur by any chance?

Guinness was from Kildare and from a family with British roots, I'd say he'd be considered fairly Irish.

I dont know? It wasn't meant to be, unless lot has another meaning and the Irish have suddenly become a race.

Arthur Guinness was Anglo Irish and from what I can gather, the Anglo Irish are viewed in two ways.

We like him = He was Irish
    We hate him = he was English.

• Advertisement

Fair enough. So do you think all people from the North are free to decide what nationality or whatever the want to be? Just curious no malice.
    Yeah. I don't see why not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭Gunsfortoys

Being from N.I. myself, I don't mind people asking me my religion, I say i'm atheist, but have friends on both sides of the "fence".

Keith there is in a very small minority, as the majority of N.I citizens do not think the way he does anymore.

Fair play, its just that I don't understand your reasons, nothing personal. You fly the flags, probably march etc etc, and you say its a culture. How is it, please explain. It's so different from the rest of us( i say that lightly) I just don't get it never have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Jonah42

I'm from Donegal and I get asked if I'm Scottish when i go down the country sometimes.

I've been asked several times in southern Leinster and Munster if we use the euro in Donegal. Shocking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Viper_JB

I would generally, but mostly so people don't spit on my food when on holidays. :D

The reality is that NI citizens have (by birth) the automatic right to dual nationality, however there is currently no single document to accommodate this & therefore NI citizens opt for either British or Irish nationality in document form.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

O.M.G, Every post of yours just gets better, Thats hilarious, Ill be breaking out laughing all day thinking of those banners. Your off your game, Either that or your just a stoner getting a great laugh out of this. I suppose the house is decorated in pictures of "her majesty".

By the way iv only a small Tricolour in my bedroom and the picture "Men of The South" (IRA Flying Column) in my hallway.

Yeah I usually just say "I'm Irish''

To someone with basic English its a pretty easy mistake to make. A lot of Dutch have said its a lot easier to distinguish a Scot from an Englishman than an Englishman and an Irishman.

No one ever uses the term British apart from Americans who say it when they're referring to English people.

They also seem really disappointed when you explain you're not anti-English.
    English people bring that upon themselves.

De Hipster wrote: »
    The reality is that NI citizens have (by birth) the automatic right to dual nationality, however there is currently no single document to accommodate this & therefore NI citizens opt for either British or Irish nationality in document form.

Wasn't talking about any offical papers just in general. Thanks for the lesson, but I kinda new that being from Derry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

I dont know? It wasn't meant to be, unless lot has another meaning and the Irish have suddenly become a race.

Arthur Guinness was Anglo Irish and from what I can gather, the Anglo Irish are viewed in two ways.

We like him = He was Irish
    We hate him = he was English.

what they are viewed as and what they actually are, is completely different.
    Guinness was irish and so is terry wogan whether we like it or not! :p

Being from N.I. myself, I don't mind people asking me my religion, I say i'm atheist, but have friends on both sides of the "fence".

Keith there is in a very small minority, as the majority of N.I citizens do not think the way he does anymore.
    I think you will find that is a pretty big majority. But don't let that get in the way of your disinformation.
    O.M.G, Every post of yours just gets better, Thats hilarious, Ill be breaking out laughing all day thinking of those banners. Your off your game, Either that or your just a stoner getting a great laugh out of this. I suppose the house is decorated in pictures of "her majesty".

By the way iv only a small Tricolour in my bedroom and the picture "Men of The South" (IRA Flying Column) in my hallway.
    I like them. ;). I take them down as well to wash them and put them back up again. I hate dirty flags.

• Advertisement
Advertisement