Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you correct people if they call you British?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Do you ever get confused over which flag goes in which order. how big is your flag pole?
    Nope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Keiths a loyalist rather than a Unionist I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Couldn't give a foook to be honest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

KeithAFC wrote: »
    Nope.

Its nope long?

which order do they go in

Wolfe Tone wrote: »
    Keiths a loyalist rather than a Unionist I think.
    Im a loyalist but also a Unionist. I believe in the Union.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭kiddums

If the Ulster flags not an Irish flag then how the fook do I live in both the Republic of Ireland and Ulster?

Ulster is NOT Northern Ireland only as they would have you believe. It extends beyond that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,129 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

A restaurant owner in Portugal assumed that I'd arrived from England, and when I told him I came from Ireland, he laughed and welcomed me to the EU bankrupt economy club. We were like brothers in poverty.

kiddums wrote: »
    If the Ulster flags not an Irish flag then how the fook do I live in both the Republic of Ireland and Ulster?

Ulster is NOT Northern Ireland only as they would have you believe. It extends beyond that.
    The Ulster banner is not an Irish flag. That is what i said. I know republicans have a republican Ulster flag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Anytime someone asks them their nationality they don't go around saying rubbish like "British by Birth,Ulster by the Grace of God" bla bla bla,they identify themselves as Irish,not Northern Irish or British,Irish, yes of course they identify themselves as British if you get into specifics,I asked them about the Ulster Scots thing and they just started laughing;they said all that was stupid.

Find that a tad difficult to believe. Its certainly not typical. Whilst I've never heard someone call themselves British nearly everyone I know from a Protestant background says they're ''Northern Irish''

I know many people do call themselves British but my friends would be 18-28 age group(students)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭AFC_1903

when i was in cyprus a cypriot called me british so i called him turkish, he got the point

This is what I tend to do.

Idiot
    American = Are you Mexican?
    Canadian = Are you American?
    Polish = Are you Russian?
    Slovak = Are you Hungarian?
    English = Are you German/French?

etc etc.

No offense meant to either nation in any example, but for winding them up while proving your point of them being different countries it usually works.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭jimthemental

Does anyone think we'd be able to trade off some of the shítty counties like Cavan/Monaghan to get Derry or Tyrone back? :rolleyes:

The Ulster banner is not an Irish flag. That is what i said. I know republicans have a republican Ulster flag.

It wouldn't be correct to call that a republican flag either. Its used in OO marches and the Ulster Banner is based on it. (same red cross in the background and red hand)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

Does anyone think we'd be able to trade off some of the shítty counties like Cavan/Monaghan to get Derry or Tyrone back? :rolleyes:

why would we want derry or tyrone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭cardwizzard

Lol:D

I say Fermanagh! NI would look damn weird without Tyrone and I'm not sure it would go down too well in Coleraine if Derry was swooped

It wouldn't be correct to call that a republican flag either. Its used in OO marches and the Ulster Banner is based on it. (same red cross in the background and red hand)
    Which flag is used in OO marches? Can you post this flag?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

:confused:

You're from Leixlip
    They ask am I from the "Whest", or "mid-Ireland"... :rolleyes:

why would we want derry or tyrone

Don't know, actually forget I asked in the first place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭cardwizzard

I say Fermanagh! NI would look damn weird without Tyrone and I'm not sure it would go down too well in Coleraine if Derry was swooped

We'll lt them keep Coleraine, kip anyways

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

Of course I'd correct them.

I'm English, I don't want to be lumped in with the Welsh for fuck sake

• Advertisement

We'll lt them keep Coleraine, kip anyways

Let em keep it, and let em keep Fermanagh too, them boys are not right in the head, just judging the ones I know. I'd like Derry back just so I never have to see the word ******derry wrote down again.

Which flag is used in OO marches? Can you post this flag?

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSvZYEHQnO9DmNAzc1spjhmA12VsLPZ2E3ayZDQizb_8OXfOFrsNnoUc8c
    Not commonly used in orange marches but I've seen a photo of them using it before.

Anyway it long outdates republicanism in Ireland

Antrim is the place to be.

Antrim is the place to be.

We'll do ya a deal for it boss, I'll give you Cavan and throw in strip mining rights in Dundalk.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭MariaBlaah

was over in boston.. a fella asked "are you english?" "nope, irish!".."are you welsh?" "....no.....irish..."..."are you scottish?" "no! im irish!!" O.o i hope to god he was in need of a hearing aid...

We'll do ya a deal for it boss, I'll give you Cavan and throw in strip mining rights in Dundalk.
    Cavan is a dump.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Let's just give them fecking Leitrim! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭seafood dunleavy

I remember a French lad started speaking Irish to me once when I corrected him that I wasn't British.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,673 ✭✭✭mahamageehad

When you're abroad, the difference in attitude between being thought of as British and Irish is huge!
    I've experienced this in France, Germany, Spain and Italy.
    They hear you speaking English and automatically assume you're English. However when you correct them, you are usually welcomed with open arms, (or they at least get a little more friendly towards you! :D)

It doesn't bother me, but I would always correct it, just like the previous Austria/Germany example.

What does really really annoy me however is Americans who call us Gaelic. And ask If i can speak Gaelic. And look for Gaelic coffee!! GRRRRRR!!! :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

When you're abroad, the difference in attitude between being thought of as British and Irish is huge!
    I've experienced this in France, Germany, Spain and Italy.

It used to be IMO. It seems to have been narrowing for quite some time now.
    What does really really annoy me however is Americans who call us Gaelic. And ask If i can speak Gaelic. And look for Gaelic coffee!! GRRRRRR!!! :mad:

Yeah, and if you're a member of the Gaelic Athletic Association....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Contessa Raven

Yes I would and do correct them. I lived in London last year and became friends with three Scottish lads who all assumed Ireland was still part of Britain.

They got a little history lesson! It annoys me that our closest neighbours even get it wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭RepublicanEagle

What i posted is reality of the situation.

Wrong,just because it is your reality does not mean it really is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Xivilai

I would simply correct them so that they understand the difference. I wouldn't be a dumb-ass and get aggressive about it.

Yes I would and do correct them. I lived in London last year and became friends with three Scottish lads who all assumed Ireland was still part of Britain.

They got a little history lesson! It annoys me that our closest neighbours even get it wrong.

I've met a lot of people here who don't know an awful lot about what happened over there either:P.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Xivilai

Ignorance is bliss :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

Thinspired wrote: »
    I've always corrected people in the past but I'm not so sure if I'd be so quick to do it now (isn't that awful?). Admitting you're Irish at the moment is just inviting ridicule and I don't even know how I'd start to defend the country if someone started asking about the mess we're in.
    People in other countries really don't give a **** about the mess we're in. For example, do you care about the mess that Iceland or Latvia are in right now?

I had it once in Oslo- on my booking form, under 'nationality' it said 'British' so I swiftly crossed that out!
    Got it in England aswell when one of the girls I was working with asked me how the new (British) coalition government has affected me :mad:

Did you tell them that most Scots are descended from Ireland?

People in other countries really don't give a **** about the mess we're in. For example, do you care about the mess that Iceland or Latvia are in right now?

I had it once in Oslo- on my booking form, under 'nationality' it said 'British' so I swiftly crossed that out!
    Got it in England aswell when one of the girls I was working with asked me how the new (British) coalition government has affected me :mad:

As you were working there, you must have been affected by it, surely?:confused:

yeh yeh "don't call me surely"

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭seafood dunleavy

They obviously weren't Scottish football fans so.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Culann

Sisko wrote: »
    If someone called you Irish would you correct them?

I'm English, living here 7 years. Some product demo girl trying to sell me something in a shopping centre assumed I was Irish, even after hearing me speak with my plainly non-Irish accent. Needless to say my money stayed in my pocket and I corrected her fairly swiftly. In her defense she was foreign as well...
    I never really had a sense of national identity until I came over here. I understand how irritating it is for people to assume your nationality.

• Advertisement

Culann wrote: »
    I'm English, living here 7 years. Some product demo girl trying to sell me something in a shopping centre assumed I was Irish, even after hearing me speak with my plainly non-Irish accent. Needless to say my money stayed in my pocket and I corrected her fairly swiftly. In her defense she was foreign as well...
    I never really had a sense of national identity until I came over here. I understand how irritating it is for people to assume your nationality.

It takes some foreigners a long time to notice the difference between English accents and dialects.

ejmaztec wrote: »
    As you were working there, you must have been affected by it, surely?:confused:
    Well, we were talking about the increase in student fees over there and she asked me how it would affect me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭The Saint

when i was in cyprus a cypriot called me british so i called him turkish, he got the point

I did the same to a Palestinian. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Kendannedy

Fremen wrote: »

I'm not a mad shinner or anything, but to me it's a fairly important distinction - a bit like referring to someone from Croatia as Yugoslavian. Would you bother to correct someone who made the mistake?

Quite a few Croatians wouldn't really have a problem with that, especially the older ones...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Keith must have gone for his tea :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 587 ✭✭✭some_dose

pow wow wrote: »
    Keith must have gone for his tea :(

Probably gone to wash his many flags

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Nope. I am British.

Really, I thought you were born on the island of ireland, making you irish. its a fairly simple concept??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

I am not British, so yes i would correct them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

Seaneh wrote: »
    Really, I thought you were born on the island of ireland, making you irish. its a fairly simple concept??

My kids were born on the island of ireland - and they're half scottish & have UK passports...my friend was born in south africa to irish parents and brought back here at 2 weeks old - do you think she's south african?

Perhaps not such a simple concept, eh? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭TheProdigy

I hate dirty flags.

Strange why you own stated flags then ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement