Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you correct people if they call you British?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

I was on holidays in Rome with my hubby and they wouldnt leave us into a niteclub because they thought we were brits said we would get hassle. We told them we were Irish so they left us in anyhow had a great time till we left and this raging lunatic started shouting at us f**k off english and then made a lunge at me. Thankfully he didnt connect and we scarpered as quick as we could. Moral of the story didnt have time to correct the chap thinking I was british.

Im always amazed at the hostilities of some Europeans to the English, Its easy for us Irish to find historical and current ( The North ) excuses for hatred of the British, Personally Ive no problem with them, but the way some Europeans go on is crazy especially from the French, Britain saved them twice, And from Italians is madness, Britain once controlled Sardinia but that was centuries ago, Britain has interfered in lots of European countries politics ok such as Holland Belgium etc but nothing on the scale of what Britain done to us..

I lived in Holland once and our boss moved the English lads to another house when I arrived as he thought Irish and English in one house would be a disaster, it didnt take long for us to bump into each other, I went on the piss that night and ended up drinking with them, But they ended up fighting with Turks another night, I noticed lots of hostility to the English but I never got any off anyone for being Irish. My house parties used to be like the UN at the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

Kendannedy wrote: »
    Quite a few Croatians wouldn't really have a problem with that, especially the older ones...
    They're probable too old and senile to realise that Yugoslavia doesn't exist anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

I googled "the Irish are British" and got 337 results, including this gem.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭DB10

First page I've read, I assume Keith AFC has made dozens of monotonous posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,595 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

the_syco wrote: »
    They ask am I from the "Whest", or "mid-Ireland"... :rolleyes:

AH, now i get ya :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

DB10 wrote: »
    First page I've read, I assume Keith AFC has made dozens of monotonous posts.

No, he's just being ripped apart by AH. Kinda unfairly I think...but then it is AH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭baltimore sun

Dionysus wrote: »
    I googled "the Irish are British" and got 337 results, including this gem.

this? :D

¡Huy!
    Lo sentimos, el URL que has introducido no puede mostrarse probablemente porque:
    El sistema está ocupado en este momento. Haz clic en el botón "Recargar" o vuelve a intentarlo más tarde.
    El URL que introdujiste no es correcto. Verifica el URL que introdujiste.
    Este URL ya no existe. Haz clic en otros URL.
    Gracias por usar Yahoo! Respuestas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Opinicus

If they're from Eastern Europe just call them Russian, they'll love that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭Badgermonkey

KeithAFC wrote: »
    Yes i know. I fly the Union Flag from my house, the Ulster Banner, Ulster Scots banner. My culture and background is not Irish. Don't know what else to tell you.

Ah, flag flying on the house in Norn Iron, the insignia version of dogs pissing on their lamp posts.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Yes, because they are idiots

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I say Fermanagh! NI would look damn weird without Tyrone and I'm not sure it would go down too well in Coleraine if Derry was swooped

Why do we want Fermanagh?
    Half that county is under water :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Fremen wrote: »
    The M&S thread got me thinking. It probably doesn't happen to people who live in Ireland much, but if you live abroad you'll probably get people calling you British from time to time, or referring to Ireland as part of Britain. I usually correct them, but they often see it as pedantry or picking nits.

I'm not a mad shinner or anything, but to me it's a fairly important distinction - a bit like referring to someone from Croatia as Yugoslavian. Would you bother to correct someone who made the mistake?

Well if they thought I was female, I'd correct them.
    If they thought I was from Dublin, I'd correct them.

Basically, they're wrong. So why not correct them ? You don't have to do it in a "make them look completely stupid" way, just point out the facts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,842 ✭✭✭shinikins

Of course, I'm Irish. I don't take offence to being called British but i see no reason to allow someone to carry on in ignorance, so its just as easy to correct them nicely. I have a fairly neutral accent so i've had people disbelieve me when i say im Irish, you get the usual "say tirty tree and a turd" spiel but i can take it in good humour.

There is a definite shift in attitudes shown by people on Mainland Europe when you tell them you are Irish-I can remember going to do a tour of a castle in Southern France. The tour guide was openly hostile and told us that the tour would be conducted totally in French so it would be a waste of time for us "English" to go on it. He was gently told that we were Irish and his attitude totally changed, guide sheets were suddenly produced, we were involved in the tour, he referred to our common Celtic roots several times over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

I remember when I was in America a guy said to me "oh my with that accent you must be British" to which I duly replied "Well with that accent you must be Canadian my good sir".

We shared some harhars and went on our separate ways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

shinikins wrote: »
    Of course, I'm Irish. I don't take offence to being called British but i see no reason to allow someone to carry on in ignorance, so its just as easy to correct them nicely. I have a fairly neutral accent so i've had people disbelieve me when i say im Irish, you get the usual "say tirty tree and a turd" spiel but i can take it in good humour.

There is a definite shift in attitudes shown by people on Mainland Europe when you tell them you are Irish-I can remember going to do a tour of a castle in Southern France. The tour guide was openly hostile and told us that the tour would be conducted totally in French so it would be a waste of time for us "English" to go on it. He was gently told that we were Irish and his attitude totally changed, guide sheets were suddenly produced, we were involved in the tour, he referred to our common Celtic roots several times over.

Lucky the castle wasn't in Normandy as you could have given him an earful about 800 years of oppression. Celtic roots my hole. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

Kinda like when Canadians are called American?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Surprised no one has mentioned Kiwis being called Aussies yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,129 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Surprised no one has mentioned Kiwis being called Aussies yet.

I'd know that they were Kiwis from the blood pouring out of my ears from listening to them, and I'd call them Aussies just to get my own back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭Noreen1

Yes i know. I fly the Union Flag from my house, the Ulster Banner, Ulster Scots banner.

Why?:confused:
    I have no problem with your choice to hold a British passport, or your preference for Unionist traditions, but for the life of me, I cannot understand the desire to fly three flags from your house.

I'm Irish. I will correct anyone who refers to me as British, because that is not my cultural identity - but I have no urge whatsoever to fly flags on my house, affirming my identity.
    I'm genuinely curious as to why you need/want to do this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 268 ✭✭theboat

Yes, I correct them.
    I've been living in France for the past 5 months, and have come across a lot of people from all over Europe who thought Ireland was part of Britain. A lot of my friends here are British, and some of them even thought Ireland was part of the UK. I don't take offence to it, though. I've found it difficult do distinguish Canadian and American accents, and I for non-English speakers it must be tough.
    I've also noticed the different reaction that you get if you say you're Irish and not British, or more specifically not English. There have been several occasions where I received a much more positive response when the person I was talking to found out I was in fact Irish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

Absolutely

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭hairy sailor

Noreen1 wrote: »
    I have no problem with your choice to hold a British passport, or your preference for Unionist traditions, but for the life of me, I cannot understand the desire to fly three flags from your house.

I'm Irish. I will correct anyone who refers to me as British, because that is not my cultural identity - but I have no urge whatsoever to fly flags on my house, affirming my identity.
    I think Northern Ireland are in the world cup or something

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Kendannedy

They're probable too old and senile to realise that Yugoslavia doesn't exist anymore.

Admittedly its Slovenia, not Croatia, but nostalgia for the ancien regime isn't entirely uncommon in quite a few post-communist countries.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/1573974/Many-in-Slovenia-yearn-for-old-Yugoslavia.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

I always correct people who think I’m British and tell them that I’m actually Irish not British. I don’t get annoyed at them for thinking Ireland is part of great Britain not everyone knows that much about Ireland, but I do get annoyed when after correcting them and telling them its not they don’t accept it, which has happened a couple of times.

They say things like no I’m pretty sure it is or like some others have said yea but it is still really part of Britain isn’t it. That’s when I get annoyed, once it was a guy in New Zealand who wouldn’t accept that I wasn’t British no mater what I said , I therefore decided I would call him the Australian for the rest of the night “Who’s round is it?”, “I think it’s the Australians.” (He got the point by the end of the night).

It’s the arrogance of people thinking they know better then you where you’re from that pisses me off. I’m Irish not British people have died for that distinction so if you mistakenly call me British I will correct you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭falan

Andy Murray is British when he wins and Scottish when he loses according to some newspapers ;)

If any of you achieve success and fame a British newspaper will probably claim you
    Happened Colin Farrell I believe. And Limerick's favorite son Richard Harris

Don't forget the boxer Lennox Lewis...Whenever he won a fight he was a Brit but if he lost, he was Canadian:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

Chalk if the f**k down i'd correct them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 163 ✭✭markievicz

ejmaztec wrote: »
    I'm between a rock and a hard place, as I've got dual-nationality. I have to alternate, depending on which nationality is getting strung up by the balls by the locals in the relevant jurisdiction that day.

Me too!hard to decide which is the worst end of the stick at the moment tho!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

falan wrote: »
    Don't forget the boxer Lennox Lewis...Whenever he won a fight he was a Brit but if he lost, he was Canadian:rolleyes:

Hey we are fairly guilty of bringing up any Irish background when it comes to famous people ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Dangerous Man

Absolutely. I'm Irish. I've been mistaken for American, British - even Canadian once but everytime I correct the person making the mistake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

Yes, because I'm Irish, why would I pretend I was from the UK when I amn't :confused:

Funnily enough when I was in California some Californians made no difference between Ireland, UK, Germany, Greece etc..we were all just Europeans...so I called them Texans :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

The perfect response to mistaken national identity :D

"My whole life, I am never Romanian!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭HxGH

It's not like we dislike the British or anything?

I think a lot of people would correct someone about a mistaken nationality, no matter what relationship the countries share(d)?

It's a pride thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Lauder

Depends on what I'm doing. Back on school/college trips when we were generally on the piss making fools of ourselves we said we were English, when we were well behaved and absorbing culture we said we were Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Lottie127

If Keith AFC was posting the stuff about flags and how British he is but was posting from Republican point of view, I believe he would be destroyed here. Usually any promotion of Ireland is ripped apart.

I believe Keith is trying to antagonize people. A post about hanging up his Loyalist flags which we all no are rooted with hatred towards our nation is clearly looking for a reaction. If someone came on here in this thread and managed to get in how they hung Nationalist flags outside their window it would not be long before they were the subject of abuse IMO.

I am not politically motivated but I think Keith should have a little more respect on an Irish forum and might best avoid a thread with a title "Do you correct people if they call you British". If this can't be avoided there was nothing in the thread to invite you to tell everyone how superbly proud and British you are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

the irish know they are irish,the british also know it ,but it is not apparent to most other races,last week the HOFF took his seat on the judges panel,in glasgow for the new X factor,believing he was in ireland,no doubt later in the year when the program is shown,we will have a irish protest thread on that as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭Azureus

My mams English and even though she has lived here since she was 4 she would identify herself as English, never Irish.

I was born and raised here, I am Irish, and if someone mistakes me for British I will definately correct them. Unless I am doing something stupid. At which point, I'm 'British' ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

I couldnt give a sh=t tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

Remmy wrote: »
    I couldnt give a sh=t tbh
    good on you,HAMLET,the lady said;sir you prostest to much,;methinks;.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 308 ✭✭Azhrei

Jonah42 wrote: »
    I'm from Donegal and I get asked if I'm Scottish when i go down the country sometimes.

I've been asked several times in southern Leinster and Munster if we use the euro in Donegal. Shocking.

To be fair, accents in the North are very similar to accents in Scotland. Although the euro thing is just weird.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

falan wrote: »

It's odd, because I've never once seen anyone provide so much as a link to an article or a youtube clip of this ever happening.

Off the top of your head, how many fights did Lennox Lewis lose in his professional career and which commentators referred to him as Canadian afterwards? You do know he was born in London and has always considered himself British first and Jamaican second?

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Ki ki

My boyfriend and I have been refered to as British many times when working in Canada. We just politely corrected them and they (eventually) started calling us Irish.

When our English roommate kept calling us British it was a bit harder to show the same patience. She'd often tell us "it was the same thing really". And when she asked us if the Queen wanted to rule us again would we come back to the monarchy......??????!!!!!!!

Last I heard, she's training to be a teacher, so expect a new generation of idiots any day now.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Live4Ever

Sisko wrote: »
    Of course.

And for fuck sake. I really hate how the fear of being labels a RA head has made it so you now have to say 'I'm not a shinner or anything' for just being correct about who you are, Irish.

You can't even talk about anything factual about Ireland anymore if it has anything to do with Irish history , being Irish you have to fight off being seen as anti brit or pro ira.

Its disgusting.

Well said man. Of course I will correct them. Regardless of the past I am not British, I am Irish. I don't have a problem with any English person (apart from the anti-Irish skinheads).

I'm not a RA head but I am proud of our history. Men died for this country and I won't forget that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Noreen1 wrote: »

Its because i am proud of my culture, i am proud of the country i live in. Obviously the majority on here won't agree with it or my culture and country but im proud of it.

Azhrei wrote: »
    To be fair, accents in the North are very similar to accents in Scotland. Although the euro thing is just weird.

Eh, Donegal is in the North-West.:D
    If you refer to "The North" in Donegal, it will be assumed that you are referring to Northern Ireland. Threefore, you will (mistakenly?) be assumed to have called us British!:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Lottie127 wrote: »
    If Keith AFC was posting the stuff about flags and how British he is but was posting from Republican point of view, I believe he would be destroyed here. Usually any promotion of Ireland is ripped apart.

I believe Keith is trying to antagonize people. A post about hanging up his Loyalist flags which we all no are rooted with hatred towards our nation is clearly looking for a reaction. If someone came on here in this thread and managed to get in how they hung Nationalist flags outside their window it would not be long before they were the subject of abuse IMO.

I am not politically motivated but I think Keith should have a little more respect on an Irish forum and might best avoid a thread with a title "Do you correct people if they call you British". If this can't be avoided there was nothing in the thread to invite you to tell everyone how superbly proud and British you are.
    No one on this thread was insulting to anyone. I answered the question and as normal, a discussion happens. It was just another normal discussion on the forum. I don't see the problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 229 ✭✭Katniss everMean

Yep, though last time I was in England they thought I was America not Irish, strange...

It's odd, because I've never once seen anyone provide so much as a link to an article or a youtube clip of this ever happening.

Off the top of your head, how many fights did Lennox Lewis lose in his professional career and which commentators referred to him as Canadian afterwiards? You do know he was born in London and has always considered himself British first and Jamaican second?

Just another one of a very large number of anecdotes on this thread.

Its because i am proud of my culture, i am proud of the country i live in. Obviously the majority on here won't agree with it or my culture and country but im proud of it.

Judging by the amount of Brit bashing on this thread, I'd say you are spot on.

Fair enough - but I don't see why that necessitates hanging three flags from a flagpost!
    I'm very secure about my heritage - but I've never flown a Tricolour/Donegal/Ulster flag in my life! No offence, but I would regard it as exhibitionist, at best!

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Luxie

prinz wrote: »
    It used to be IMO. It seems to have been narrowing for quite some time now.

Agreed. This notion lots of Irish people have that 'everyone loves us' is more of a myth than they realise.

• Advertisement
Advertisement