Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you correct people if they call you British?

123457»

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Well you'd be wrong because your passport isn't green. Unless youve got a temporary one

Or you're Mexican or something.

iAndale!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭GizAGoOfYerGee

KeithAFC wrote: »
    Check out We'r Fur Hame on BBC.

Ah, Ulster-Scots. Ironic how they don't adhere to the British English standard of spelling. :P

That video is not available in Spain. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Yes I would definetly correct someone if they thought I was English. Although would be surprised anyone would think that with the way I talk.

Good day Sirs. ;)

Well you'd be wrong because your passport isn't green. Unless youve got a temporary one

You're too young to remember, but they were green before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭DoesNotCompute

El Siglo wrote: »
    Heaney wrote it as an open letter back in 1983 with regards to being included in The Penguin Book of Contemporary British Poetry. It's a nice way of saying "I'm Irish not British".

...and back in 1983, Irish passports did indeed have a green cover.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

...and back in 1983, Irish passports did indeed have a green cover.

Thought it was black?

El Siglo wrote: »
    Thought it was black?

Looks green to me! :)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

Looks green to me! :)

It's so dark green it looks black. Everyone happy now? :pac:

And yeah, I've corrected people before if they've called me british. Usually just in a light-hearted way, "Ah no, I'm Irish actually. Separate country and all that." I've never had to explain any further than that, fortunately :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

In Spain, they call British and Irish people 'Ingleses' and both islands 'Inglaterra'. As far as they're concerned, we are all Anglo. Some are puzzled when you correct them. You get used to it.

They seemed confused when I called them Iberians in the summer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Madam

KeithAFC wrote: »
    The Ulster banner is not an Irish flag. That is what i said. I know republicans have a republican Ulster flag.

Is that not the name of a potato:confused:;)

Of course I correct them, when 'they' find out your Irish, people are somehow friendlier - why do you think all those so called Oirish pubs(mostly owned by British folk) do so well abroad?

Oh and btw I'm from Ulster - the best part!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Ave Nocturna

It depends... If I'm talking to them for the first and last time in my life, I don't see the point. I just let it go. Otherwise, yes. I don't correct them for some pompous 'I'm not one of THEM' reason. I'm not British so I tell them that. I'd do the same if they called me Spanish or American.

It doesn't keep me up at night though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

De Hipster wrote: »
    Eh...the passport issued to you if you apply in N.I. is BRITISH.

Ive seen various people in NI successfully apply for Irish, Austrian, Polish, American, Argentinian and Turkish passports :D
    I've been here 3 years in various parts of Spain, and I have to say that vast majority are misinformed about the political make up of Ireland and Britain.

I know people in Ireland/Britain who are a bit fuzzy on it TBH
    56lcd wrote: »
    You can only be called british if you are citizen of Scotland,Wales and England (the 3 countries that constitute britain).....
    Theres something wrong with your Keyboard but more worryingly there is also something wrong with your vocal cords. They appear to be lodged in your rectum.
    Me and my family are catholic born.
    WTF ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

It's so dark green it looks black. Everyone happy now? :pac:
    No I'm not going to be happy until he admits it's green! Admit it's green dammit!! :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

In Spain, they call British and Irish people 'Ingleses' and both islands 'Inglaterra'. As far as they're concerned, we are all Anglo. Some are puzzled when you correct them. You get used to it.

I knew I read somewhere years ago that a Spanish name specifically for the Irish was 'Gringos'. A reference to this can be found in the etymology section of Wikipedia's entry for 'Gringo'

Other online sources affirming this usage:

1. 'gringo. 1849, from Mex.Sp. gringo, contemptuous word for "foreigner," from Sp. gringo "foreign, unintelligible talk, gibberish," perhaps ult. from griego "Greek." The "Diccionario Castellano" (1787) says gringo was used in Malaga for "anyone who spoke Spanish badly," and in Madrid for "the Irish."' (http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=gringo)

2. 'In fact, at one time, the word in Spain was often used to refer specifically to the Irish.' (http://spanish.about.com/od/wordsweshare/p/gringo.htm)

3. 'The word Gringo also appears in Spain around the time of the inquisitions, it was used to refer to Irish Monks living in Spain that could not pronounce Spanish correctly.' (http://thegringo.com/index.php?articleID=6276&sectionID=142)

Dionysus wrote: »
    I knew I read somewhere years ago that a Spanish name specifically for the Irish was 'Gringos'. A reference to this can be found in the etymology section of Wikipedia's entry for 'Gringo'

I've heard that before, but 'Gringo' here in Spain, they believe, comes from 'Griego', the Greeks, or Romans, which would make more sense.

What is certain is that, in Spanish, 'Gringo' means 'foreigner'. Like 'Gall' in Old Irish, eg 'Dún na nGall' = 'Fort of the Foreigners', but no relation to the Spanish. :pac:

There are all sort of ideas in South America as to where 'Gringo' comes from. The Mexicans say 'Green Coats' = Gringos, the Irish that fought with the Mexicans against the Americans. Sounds romantic, but bullsh!it!

Who knows. I'll stick with the Greeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭cardwizzard

I wonder what they call Ulster Scots:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Yes of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Tubsandtiles

I just look at them in disgust and wonder how they never ever opened a history book or geography book :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 308 ✭✭Azhrei

Noreen1 wrote: »
    Eh, Donegal is in the North-West.:D
    If you refer to "The North" in Donegal, it will be assumed that you are referring to Northern Ireland. Threefore, you will (mistakenly?) be assumed to have called us British!:P

I don't know why I capitalised north. Bah.

Advertisement