Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This "Census" Woman

Options
  • 27-01-2011 2:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭

Hi all
    I live in Portlaoise, and recently I have had this woman call to the house a few times, stating she is updating the census. Now it was just norm questions at first which was fine. No information was given that couldn't be found out anyway, but the last time she has asked for our P.P.S numbers!!!!
    Now when she asked alarm bells started to ring. I told her I couldn't begin to think where I would have them and I didn't know them off by heart!
    She left then and as she was going she said maybe the next time Im back you'll have these for me!!!!

Basically I am wondering has anybody else had this person call to their house, because really I always thought that the census was only done once every so often and was never updated?

I would love to hear from other people about this.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭blondie7

There updating the census next April but you get the forms,fill them out on a certain day at a certain time (AFAIK) and then the Census people come back and collect them off you. You could always ring the Census office there run from the Central Statistics Office, there number would be on the website and ask them do they have people employed to do house to house surveys or whatever you want to call them.

Does this woman have Id with her or is she wearing a Hi-Vis jacket or anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭DeepSleeper

Sounds well dodgy - Many people are currently interviewing for posts with the Central Statistics Office at the moment, but work on the census won't start until about March 8th. All officials will carry ID (and wear a High-viz vest too I think) - I doubt your visitor is legit and I'd either call the CSO to check (see below) or call the Gardaí directly.

http://www.cso.ie/census/census_2006_inquiries.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭zsha

Thanks for that. Will give them a ring in a little while. Yeah this lady has I.D and she is the actual lady that did bring around the census form to our house when it was been done. I just am, I suppose, a bit wary because she is requesting the pps numbers. Thanks for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

zsha wrote: »
    Thanks for that. Will give them a ring in a little while. Yeah this lady has I.D and she is the actual lady that did bring around the census form to our house when it was been done. I just am, I suppose, a bit wary because she is requesting the pps numbers. Thanks for that.

What's someone going to do with your PPSN? It's a genuine census question.

In saying that, I don't think the Census has actually started yet???

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

I always was of the opinion that census enumerators jobs were to drop off and collect census forms only during the census taking period [Click HERE]

As with other posters, I'd agree for you to check with the census office just in case yer wan has gone scatty since 2006 and is now collecting PPS numbers for giggles or identity frausters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭murf313

i had her here yesterday in portarlington. She seems legit. It isnt actually collecting info for the census its for the statistics office afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭zsha

Hi all just wanted to come back to you on this. I rang the CSO as advised and thank you. The lady who is calling to me is legit. It is a quarterly survey done and she will call 5 times every three mths. Its for the European statistics and is run by the CSO here. Your PPS is required, this stops them asking you alot of questions about earnings etc etc.
    I don't feel so bad now knowing that its all legit. Seemingly all the houses in the particular area will have to do this each year. So I getting it done at the min. Thanks to you all who replied to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭Doogieboogie

zsha wrote: »
    Hi all just wanted to come back to you on this. I rang the CSO as advised and thank you. The lady who is calling to me is legit. It is a quarterly survey done and she will call 5 times every three mths. Its for the European statistics and is run by the CSO here. Your PPS is required, this stops them asking you alot of questions about earnings etc etc.
    I don't feel so bad now knowing that its all legit. Seemingly all the houses in the particular area will have to do this each year. So I getting it done at the min. Thanks to you all who replied to me.

Good that she's legit, but I think it's a bit mad that they expect people to hand out their PPS number at the door - I wouldn't give out any information like that at the door, no matter how legit the person seemed.

Advertisement