Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryanair Cabin Luggage

Options
  • 27-01-2011 3:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

I'm flying from dublin to barcelona(bcn) next week and returning again from barcelona. Both flights are with ryanair. I bought a suitcase from dunnes stores(leaf design purple and green) and it says on the tag it is 20x40x53cm. When i measures it at home it was jus less than a cm bigger ie. 21x41x54..

As ryanair max size is 20x40x55 i'm wondering will it go through the xray machine at security, fit in overhead storage? Or how big their luggage checker is?..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭pegasus1

you'll be fine!!just have all your hand luggage in the case!

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭undo

Aunch wrote: »
    As ryanair max size is 20x40x55 i'm wondering will it go through the xray machine at security, fit in overhead storage? Or how big their luggage checker is?..

This is Ryanair's restriction. The x-ray machines are much, much bigger and so are the overhead bins. All you have to make sure of is that it fits into the metal frame. It would seem to me that your bag should be within a reasonable tolerance and should squeeze in. But nobody can guarantee that - if it really is a centimeter over and happens not to fit the metal frame, you will have to check it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

If you're going to risk it, get to the airport early and you will see some Ryanair bag check frames dotted around the place near the check in areas and also at most gates after security. Just go to one that's not attended and give it a go. If the bag is a tiny bit bigger, you could just practice getting it into the frame in one go.

It's worked for me, they don't test the bag when boarding, they watch you try, so if it goes in first time they're not to know you've been practicing!

Also, make sure you don't over pack the bag so it bulges, then you'll never get it into the frame!

***you do this at your own risk though. No point crying to me if you get hit with charges for having to put it in the hold!***

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Apanachi

It should be fine, the metal frames aren't exactly 20x40x55 and I have often travelled with a suitcase that was 1 cm too big (although I have heard people say that Ryanair sometimes use cardboard boxes to check the size - and these boxes have a zero tolerance - can any one confirm this?)

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭AfterDusk

The metal cages are bigger than the dimensions so unless you have everything squazed in there and it's bulging you'll be fine. Just avoid the cardboard boxes! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Aunch

Do u know does Dublin airport use metal cages or boxes?

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭AfterDusk

Both. It depends on the availability at the particular gate - 9 times out of ten it's the metal cages. But I've also noticed that some specific ground staff like to use the cardboard boxes. It's luck of the draw :)

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭undo

The cardboard box itself fits into the metal frame. So its outside dimensions are at most as much as the frame permits. The inside dimensions must thus be even smaller. So yes, when you get a cardboard box, there is far less tolerance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

neil2304 wrote: »
    Both. It depends on the availability at the particular gate - 9 times out of ten it's the metal cages. But I've also noticed that some specific ground staff like to use the cardboard boxes. It's luck of the draw :)
    IF rumours are true that the staff are on a commission for charges imposed on luggage put in the hold, then it's small wonder that some staff prefer to use the boxes when the whole bloody box fits into the metal frame as Undo has stated!

Flying with them next week with the same bag I've used for two other flights that just fits the metal frame with practice!

• Registered Users Posts: 49 fishder

I flew to the canaries last week and they were checking alot off bags to see if they fit in that cage thing if it was any way tight they made people remove stuff from the bag. They were very strict on returning I thought it was a bit ott.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭piskins72

any of the spanish airports are strict, have seen it in various ones that I have been through with ryanair. as other posters said, dont be surprised if they use the cardboard version, its more frequent now in Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Aishae

theyve gotten worse with hand luggage. i know a lot of people used to get away with huge suitcases as hand luggage and the airlines are more strict on this now cos 1. they get more revenue if you check bags in and 2. the weight will affect fuel usage which is lost reveue to them. i understand them being more strict on bags but the cages are tiny... and it seems to be at the discretion of the staff too. other airlines seem less strict than ryanair but...
    last year i bought a bag that was advertised as cabin sized and indeed it was when i measured it. was flying to black pool with aer arann who were operating via aer lingus. i was with a party of people who had similar bags and we got through dublin no bother. but coming back a few days later we went to check in - your one at the desk leans over the counter and says our bags are all too big for the cabin. didnt even ask us to use the cage.... well, cue some unhappy ladies... we managed to get a manager out - we used the cage, about 3 bags fit in it but they said we had to check them in cos the bags peeked over the top of the cage. i couldnt check mine cos the zip exploded (my dog had chewed it) when i was there and it was held together by pins. in the end they let me take mine on board but everyone else had to check theirs. so that was a couple of hundred reveue for them. ive been extra cautious of my hand luggage since. and some of them do make you check your bag in the cage when boarding (as mentioned about spain above - it was spain where i first saw this and was with easyjet to belfast)

1cm isnt much but theyre not very flexible anymore

Advertisement