Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can there be a second more toned down After Hours ?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,502 ✭✭✭✭looksee

This topic has raised an issue that I have been casually thinking about for a while. I joined in 2006 and after about a year of agist, sexist, racist remarks - because I was in AH and had not copped that there were other forums to contribute to - I got fed up with it and opted out.

I came back after about 2 years or so and got more involved with other forums and found I liked the chat. Over the past 12 months other, older members of Boards have started 'coming out' and it is obvious there is now an older demographic - in their 30s and 40s, (and up to the 60s and 70s,) who are a strong force on Boards.

These are some of the people who started Boards in their late teens and twenties and enjoyed the opportunity to be anarchic, outrageous and sometimes disgusting. They have now moved into the next phase of their lives and have different interests and attitudes, but there is always a new generation, coming in with the same anarchic and argumentative attitudes. So why not leave a section of Boards where they can be that without imposing too many 'grown-up' rules? Possibly with younger mods - that isn't a dig at the mods, but many of them would have been mods when they were much younger, and managed fine.

I know there are legal implications and basic standards of language that need to be considered, but I would not like to see AH 'tidied up' to an extent that will alienate the new/younger Boardsies who will eventually grow into the site and extend their interests.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,206 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

looksee wrote: »
    Is there not a slight bit of vindictiveness there? A topic may not be appropriate in another forum, but appropriate in AH?
    when its inappropriate for another forum it usually stays in AH. Most tabloid news stays in AH for example, you don't see US Violence News littering the US Politics forum as it doesn't belong there, unless you want to start a thread on gun control and/or the 2nd Amendment.

The example I am thinking of is say a user gets banned from soccer so because now they cant post in soccer they try to start a match thread in AH.

Overheal wrote: »
    when its inappropriate for another forum it usually stays in AH. Most tabloid news stays in AH for example, you don't see US Violence News littering the US Politics forum as it doesn't belong there, unless you want to start a thread on gun control and/or the 2nd Amendment.

The example I am thinking of is say a user gets banned from soccer so because now they cant post in soccer they try to start a match thread in AH.

Ah, right, fair enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

This topic has raised an issue that I have been casually thinking about for a while. I joined in 2006 and after about a year of agist, sexist, racist remarks - because I was in AH and had not copped that there were other forums to contribute to - I got fed up with it and opted out.

I came back after about 2 years or so and got more involved with other forums and found I liked the chat. Over the past 12 months other, older members of Boards have started 'coming out' and it is obvious there is now an older demographic - in their 30s and 40s, (and up to the 60s and 70s,) who are a strong force on Boards.

These are some of the people who started Boards in their late teens and twenties and enjoyed the opportunity to be anarchic, outrageous and sometimes disgusting. They have now moved into the next phase of their lives and have different interests and attitudes, but there is always a new generation, coming in with the same anarchic and argumentative attitudes. So why not leave a section of Boards where they can be that without imposing too many 'grown-up' rules? Possibly with younger mods - that isn't a dig at the mods, but many of them would have been mods when they were much younger, and managed fine.

I know there are legal implications and basic standards of language that need to be considered, but I would not like to see AH 'tidied up' to an extent that will alienate the new/younger Boardsies who will eventually grow into the site and extend their interests.

We have that already, it's the Clearasil & Hormones forum.

But as you pointed out there are people who are in thier 30 or who are older who want a general causal forum which is the remit of AH but with out the style and 'wit' of AH.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I want to know what happened to 7 of 9, she was hot :mad:
    It's obvious your post made fun of the title but well, I guess, somebody has to think of the children.

Did you miss all the Jeri Ryan threads over the past six months?

• Advertisement

Thaedydal wrote: »
    We have that already, it's the Clearasil & Hormones forum.But as you pointed out there are people who are in thier 30 or who are older who want a general causal forum which is the remit of AH but with out the style and 'wit' of AH.

OK, so why not send the 'problematic' threads - those that are too robust/vulgar/pointless - to C&H and continue with the upgrading of AH. It would not take too long for the posters who want that style to catch on to the fact that it is to be found in C&H.

I think it would be a pity to make the entire site 'grow up' with its members though, it would eventually alienate the younger or more casual posters and just die of inertia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Becuause you are confusing immaturity with age.
    I have seen more civil and intresting discussions at time in C&H on certain topics then in AH.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

OK, so why not send the 'problematic' threads - those that are too robust/vulgar/pointless - to C&H and continue with the upgrading of AH. It would not take too long for the posters who want that style to catch on to the fact that it is to be found in C&H.

I think it would be a pity to make the entire site 'grow up' with its members though, it would eventually alienate the younger or more casual posters and just die of inertia.

That is a horrible misrepresentation of the C&H forum.

If you want vulgarity, use Enclyopedia Dramatica or Sickipedia.
    You'll find pointless threads on every forum, but you'll find very, very few in C&H.

If you want decent, mature discussion with the younger section of the Boards user-base, then you'll find it in C&H. Mess with it at your peril.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

That is a horrible misrepresentation of the C&H forum.

If you want vulgarity, use Enclyopedia Dramatica or Sickipedia.
    You'll find pointless threads on every forum, but you'll find very, very few in C&H.

If you want decent, mature discussion with the younger section of the Boards user-base, then you'll find it in C&H. Mess with it at your peril.

I'd agree there. I don't believe that the type of humour I referred to in my OP is confined to a youthful element of the site and therefore the solution isn't about throwing the trash into C&H.

Ok, I havent been into C&H, but I was responding to what Thaedydal said - which seems contradictory to what he/she said later.

I am not talking about language and attitudes that are entirely not acceptable, I am talking about subject matters and responses that other 16 year olds would find hilarious and people who are no longer in their teens might have grown out of.

I don't care how it is worked out, or what the forum is called, I am simply saying don't remove all opportunities for 'immature' (I can't think of any way of putting that) input. No doubt some of the people who post in that way also post more mature material on other forums, but leave the door open for people to get started on boards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭Fight_Night

After hours is fairly tame, I don't understand why people post something with the sentiment of ''you'll be eaten alive'' when somebody makes a 'stupid' thread. It's modded too heavily for anything bad to happen in the forum, you're not even allowed to insult someone. Does it have its fair share of loud annoying idiots? Yes, but so do the majority of forums on the ol' internets.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

After hours is fairly tame, I don't understand why people post something with the sentiment of ''you'll be eaten alive'' when somebody makes a 'stupid' thread. It's modded too heavily for anything bad to happen in the forum, you're not even allowed to insult someone. Does it have its fair share of loud annoying idiots? Yes, but so do the majority of forums on the ol' internets.
    This pretty much. Dont see the problem with AH at all. One of my fave forums on the site (and I wouldnt be next nor near the age demographic of the Clearasil & Hormones forum*. :)) Its got wide ranging subjects goin on. That's what I love about it. It's got one of the best mod teams and communities on this site. You'd want to be a real sensitive soul to get hot under the collar with the place.

"Mature" chat. Well there's humanities, a great little forum, the gentlemans club/ladies lounge, or any number of other forums out there. I would agree that down the line a specific "old geezers" :p forum would be a great idea(and has its own thread in forum requests)

*I agree with IO, I wouldnt associate vulgarity around the C&H forum at all.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Advertisement