Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IOL SSF4 - Online Tournament.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭ayjayirl

Right lads that's 24 so far. If I can count. 32 would make groups easy and even but we'll see.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

I'm in!

Is this character locked? I like that idea :)

It would be nice to organise a character locked tournament where each character can only be picked once too. Surely every character has at least one person on here who mains them.

For those who don't know me, I'll be the punching bag in this tourney, but I like the practice ;)

I'm in!

Is this character locked? I like that idea :)

It would be nice to organise a character locked tournament where each character can only be picked once too. Surely every character has at least one person on here who mains them.

For those who don't know me, I'll be the punching bag in this tourney, but I like the practice ;)

It will be character lock for the tournament. No lock on ultra selection.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

I like this idea, and I think it would be cool, but it falls down in a practicality sense.

(1) A lot of people entering these tournaments play the same characters (Ryu, Deejay etc)
    (2) A lot of the rest of the people don't like online play or have xboxes

So we'd probably end up with a lot of people playing secondary characters they weren't familiar with, and the few who got to pick their mains blitzing the tournament.

I'm all for a random select tournament though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭EmSixTeen

I'm terrible but I'm up for this! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭J0hnick

(1) A lot of people entering these tournaments play the same characters (Ryu, Deejay etc)

So we'd probably end up with a lot of people playing secondary characters they weren't familiar with, and the few who got to pick their mains blitzing the tournament.

I'm confused, how would that be an issue ?, the only problem with a character lock is you cant use a secondary character for your mains bad match ups. Worst thing about that is if two people play the same character you may have to play a mirror match, and most people hate mirror match's.

If this was a team tournament things would be different, cause you cant have 2 of the same character on the same team.

J0hnick wrote: »
    I'm confused, how would that be an issue ?, the only problem with a character lock is you cant use a secondary character for your mains bad match ups.

I think if you reread Burning Eclipses post he meant that only one person can use one character in this hypothetical tournament. Like once somebody decides they're playing Ryu, nobody else can pick him.

So an ideal outcome would be a 35 person tournament, where everybody is playing a different character.

Cool idea for definite, but difficult to pull off methinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭J0hnick

I think if you reread Burning Eclipses post he meant that only one person can use one character in this hypothetical tournament. Like once somebody decides they're playing Ryu, nobody else can pick him.

So an ideal outcome would be a 35 person tournament, where everybody is playing a different character.

Ah right, well there's 2 Guy players including myself who post here so I wouldn't be a fan of that. Do we have at least one player who mains each of the 35 characters in the game ?, other then trolling I don't think anybody here mains Dan.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

It'd be impossible I think.

Like, someone who's decent with Guile could auto eliminate my chances by forcing me to pick someone else.

And even in that case, who's claim to the character gets priority?

Sorry about the tangent!

Seems like adding a Yes/No poll is a good way to grab a list of names, like from the Inferno thread "Yes" results for example:

ayjayirl, BourketheJerk, chopperbyrne, DarkTalant, Doctor DooM, Doyler01, Dreddybajs, Fergus_, FoamyMushroom, K.O.Kiki, Mickles_86, pdbhp, Placebo, prenelf, Ry, Sairus, Speed Boat.

I used to use the poll but nearly every time people just posted and ignored it so I said feck it. I summarise it all up:

(25 in Total so far)

1) AyJayirl,
    2) J0hnick,
    3) Scavanger VIII,
    4) Fergus,
    5) Future Guy,
    6) Speedboat,
    7) Farz,
    8) UberPrinny_Baal,
    9) Sairus,
    10) unky chop chop,
    11) Misty Chaos,
    12) space nugget,
    13) Red 350,
    14) PPC,
    15) Yreval,
    16) Banjo_B,
    17) Foamy,
    18) Robbknoll,
    19) Prenelf,
    20) Neeknak,
    21) Bush (Online Warrior),
    22) Bourke,
    23) A-Trak,
    24) Burning Eclipse,
    25) EmSixTeen,

The seeds are:
    1st: FoamyMushroom
    2nd: AyJayirl
    3rd: A-Trak
    3rd: Meducation
    5th: Sairus
    6th: Yreval
    6th: Banjo_B
    8th: UberPrinny_Baal

Each of these seeds will not meet each other in the groups.

I love the Bush and Doom aren't seeded........ for now. Knowing my luck, I'll get both in my group :(

There is still time for people to throw their name in....c'mon, you know you want to. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

All right count me in. Been getting back into the game lately so it should be a laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Scavenger XIII

I propose if I get out of my group AyJay has to stop spelling my name funny on purpose.

Who am I kidding he'll put me in with the hard knocks like last time. :pac:

I propose if I get out of my group AyJay has to stop spelling my name funny on purpose.

Who am I kidding he'll put me in with the hard knocks like last time. :pac:

Yeh, you got a bitch of a one last time.

Might not be any better this time either.

sorry about the speling.

I am happy that my seeding guarantees that there's two Ryus I won't fight.

Well, it doesn;t look like meds will be in this one, so only me.......but then again, there is prenelf...... and imho, he's better than both of us.

Speaking of Meds, it looks like there will be one seeded place that will not be filled......

Three options really:

Promote someone to seed 8th from the last tourney. (i.e. number 9 - this would involve me finding out who that actually was - not desireable!)

Promote someone to the seeds based on level (consensus really required for this one)

or

Have a group sans-seeds.

Thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

Prenelf and Bourke are both there as well representing Ryu.
    Good luck if ya managed to get landed in a group with them

ayjayirl wrote:
    there is prenelf...... and imho, he's better than both of us.
    A-Trak wrote: »
    Prenelf and Bourke are both there as well representing Ryu.
    Good luck if ya managed to get landed in a group with them

Let me have my small victories guys, just for a little while :P
    ayjayirl wrote:
    Thoughts?

Up to you AJ, I don't really see how the (currently) 26 participants divides evenly into 7 (without Med) or 8 groups anyway.

I'd say just go with whatever maths makes the most sense to yourself at the end of the day and run with that. I doubt anyone's going to moan if we end up going unseeded for this one.

Let me have my small victories guys, just for a little while :P

Up to you AJ, I don't really see how the (currently) 26 participants divides evenly into 7 (without Med) or 8 groups anyway.

I'd say just go with whatever maths makes the most sense to yourself at the end of the day and run with that. I doubt anyone's going to moan if we end up going unseeded for this one.

I am holding out for 32 tournamisers.
    Dictionary FAIL :cool:

If we don't get anymore I can do 4 pools with 2 seeds in each one and 4 qualifying from each group. I'll figure that out when registration closes :p

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Generic_name01

If theres still room put me down.

If theres still room put me down.

Hakan FTMFW :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Generic_name01

Yeah this way I get involved AND get knocked out early enough to rip into mvc. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

Still room in this? I have access to 2 xboxes now. So throw me in.

Robbknoll wrote: »
    Character lock = :cool:

Every tourney should be character locked imo. Counter picking in my eyes is low and a form of cheating.

But hey no-one does that here anyway right...RIGHT? :(

Whoa i gotta catch up to the conversation sorry...

You counter picked me at inferno!

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭The Hound

i don't understand whats going on in this thread. Lots of talk of counter picking. Im up for the online tourny for defo. Is it character locked or whats going on? Can I play whoever I want?

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Suppose I'll throw my Führer hat into the ring as well.

Right, looks like its shaping up. I think thats 28. 4 more would make it neat. If not I'll give it till Tomorrow night (Wednesday) and on Thursday I'll make the draw.

@Hound - Its Character locked for the tourney, group stages are best of 3, knockout stages are FT10. No rules on Ultra lock.

Can I sign up Sabre0001?

XBLA SabreO001.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Robbknoll

Still room in this? I have access to 2 xboxes now. So throw me in.

You counter picked me at inferno!

I wouldnt imagine blanka is counter pick for any character haha. You need to be really good to use him properly and im only alright with him.

Plus you use vega :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Sagat06

Robbknoll wrote: »
    I wouldnt imagine blanka is counter pick for any character haha. You need to be really good to use him properly and im only alright with him.

Gief T Hawk and Makota users might argue there

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Lads I split a thread off for the counterpicking discussion, please don't be making more work for me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Robbknoll

Sagat06 wrote: »
    Gief T Hawk and Makota users might argue there

Matoto users would say every match up isnt in there favour. As for hawk and gief, there very lame-type matches and who ever gets the life lead has the advantage imo.

But sure it'll be a cool tourney regardless, hope some of the matches can be recorded.

Advertisement