Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Linux issues

• 27-01-2011 3:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭

Hi I used Linux when I was in school, about 10 years ago and as far a s i remember it was fine. My issue now is I'm in the process of repairing a computer that has windows xp. It wont get past the boot page, wont let me do a recovery, and ive no discs. Was thinking of downloading and installing linux on the system, just a few questions...

1- Is it dificult?
    2- What are the main problems e.g software and hardware not working
    3- Is it still user friendly
    4- Will 3 broadband work with it it

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 495 ✭✭jakedixon2004

Not an expert in the field but I have been using Linux for the past 5 years so here it goes :

1. Linux is not as difficult as many people think. If you just want to recover files from the computer then I would advise a Live CD. Which means that you will not have to install the OS, just use it from the CD itself.

2. Linux is actually quite good when it comes to software and hardware compatibility these days. I would advise a bit of research into drivers etc if you want to use Linux long term, but it is much better than a few years ago in that respect.

3. There are ( as you may already know ) many distributions of Linux available at the moment and it just takes time to find the right one for you. I started with Ubuntu which is always a good starter distro, but now I have moved onto Backtrack as I am in a job that requires it. PC Linux is also a very nice OS for recovery of files from an XP machine and its is visually very similar to windows desktop etc.

4. With regards to the 3 dongle, I have never tried it. But this guide looks quite good if you are interested in a long term solution http://www.linux.ie/articles/tutorials/threeirelandUSBmodem.php

That's all I can say at the moment with regards to Linux and if you need anymore help then just PM me or post here and I will do my best to help you out.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

On a number of my machines I have different versions of Linux (Ubuntu, Mepis Linux to name two).
    In all cases I have found:

1. No real problem installing them. The installation process for Ubuntu and Mepis Linux alone are dead easy. You just follow the clear steps.
    2. With some Linux systems (as with the two already mentioned) there comes a "Package Manager" - a system app that consists when open, a window which lists downloadable free software. From a range of games, office apps and many more stuff, all are again free and all work with no hassle I have found so far.
    3. The main ones are very user friendly - if you can work xp to Win7, you will be fine.
    4. I have Netgear and Belkin wireless sticks with I've plugged into usb ports and upon rebooting have been detected and worked without my having to do any further tweaking or installing.
    - That said, to be 100% sure, you better check with where you get your 3G, check thru 3G website (ring them?) and/or test if possible on anothers machine - beside doing a net search for your answer (your prob' not the first to ask this).

As regards Linux here is two maybe useful links:

* http://www.techradar.com/news/software/operating-systems/10-best-linux-distros-for-2010-704584

* http://www.techradar.com/news/software/operating-systems/the-best-linux-distros-you-ve-never-heard-of-919411?artc_pg=2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

Biggins wrote: »
    On a number of my machines I have different versions of Linux (Ubuntu, Mepis Linux to name two).
    In all cases I have found:

1. No real problem installing them. The installation process for Ubuntu and Mepis Linux alone are dead easy. You just follow the clear steps.
    2. With some Linux systems (as with the two already mentioned) there comes a "Package Manager" - a system app that consists when open, a window which lists downloadable free software. From a range of games, office apps and many more stuff, all are again free and all work with no hassle I have found so far.
    3. The main ones are very user friendly - if you can work xp to Win7, you will be fine.
    4. I have Netgear and Belkin wireless sticks with I've plugged into usb ports and upon rebooting have been detected and worked without my having to do any further tweaking or installing.
    - That said, to be 100% sure, you better check with where you get your 3G, check thru 3G website (ring them?) and/or test if possible on anothers machine - beside doing a net search for your answer (your prob' not the first to ask this).

As regards Linux here is two maybe useful links:

* http://www.techradar.com/news/software/operating-systems/10-best-linux-distros-for-2010-704584

* http://www.techradar.com/news/software/operating-systems/the-best-linux-distros-you-ve-never-heard-of-919411?artc_pg=2

Good information. I hate when peope spread misinformation about Linux being "too hard" for the typical user. Unless you want to become a proper UNIX systems admin/programmer, there is no need to actually
    know whats going on. I would argue for a typical user, an Ubuntu/Fedora setup may actually be easier than dealing with Windows. Windows is far more complex imo and far harder to really master. Look at the
    complexity of the registry or even the complexity of the Win32 API's ffs:pac:

They both have their respective uses. Windows in general has far more developed Graphics drivers(especially for ATI cards). Hardware support is practically universal on Windows due to the stable ABI. Something Linux will never have.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,625 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

get your hands on a linux live CD Ubuntu 10.10 and try it out

, since it runs form the CD you don't need to change anything on the computer till you feel comfortable. 3G support is there for most older dongles. The very latest ones come with linux drivers (but you may need internet access to to install the driver - don't ask :p ) inbetween may be a problem , borrow an old 3G dongle there are lot's lying around ex-contact

running from a cd is slow so it should get a lot faster if/when you do install

with a live linux cd you should be able to see the hidden partition containg the windows backup image, no idea if that is any use without the windows program to write the images.
    some windows systems give you an option to press F11 on startup and restore to factory settings (you can most likely say goodbye to any files you had on the computer , unless you copied then off first, linux live cd's are good for this too )

• Registered Users Posts: 39 badboybubby

running opensuse 11.3 with a three broadband modem here,network manager automatically detects it,no need to install anything.it also works fine on fedora.

• Advertisement
Advertisement