Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Metal Sinatra Covers Album

Options
  • 27-01-2011 4:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭

Hi just thought people might be interested in this. Some of the big names from rock and metal (Twisted Sister, Deep Purple, Anthrax, Mr Big...) are getting together to release covers of some of Frank Sinatra's most famous songs. What do ye's reckon to this? Personally I can't wait to see how it turns out, could be amazing.

Full track listing below.
    As one of the most influential jazz and pop singers of his time, it should come as no surprise that the multi-award winning Frank Sinatra is being honoured with the upcoming release of yet another tribute album. But what may come as a shock is that the album will not consist of the faithful recreations of Sinatra’s that we’re used to, but will rather contain twelve of his greatest hits made into metal covers.

The record, which is aptly named “SIN-atra” (heh), will feature some of metal’s most renowned and respected vocalists – including those from groups like Anthrax, Twisted Sister, and Judas Priest. The tribute will be made available on March 28th, and the track listing is as follows:

01. New York, New York (Devin Townsend)
    02. I've Got You Under My Skin (Glenn Hughes, Deep Purple)
    03. Summerwind (Geoff Tate, Queensrÿche)
    04. It Was A Very Good Year (Dee Snider, Twisted Sister)
    05. Witchcraft (Tim “Ripper” Owens, Judas Priest)
    06. Fly Me To The Moon (Robin Zander, Cheap Trick)
    07. The Lady Is A Tramp (Eric Martin, Mr Big)
    08. I've Got The World On A String (Dug Pinnick, King's X)
    09. Love And Marriage (Elias Soriano, Nonpoint)
    10. Strangers In The Night (Joey Belladonna, Anthrax)
    11. High Hopes (Franky Perez, Scars On Boradway)
    12. That's Life (Jani Lane, Warrant)

While we are not sure if Ol’ Blue Eyes would appreciate some of his best work being made into metal songs, it will definitely be interesting to hear how the artists involved will interpret his music and to see how it sounds when it’s heavy.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/upcoming_releases/frank_sinatra_songs_made_metal.html

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

The only name that jumped out at me from that list as one I would be interested in hearing do a Sinatra song is Devin Townsend.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Kess73 wrote: »
    The only name that jumped out at me from that list as one I would be interested in hearing do a Sinatra song is Devin Townsend.
    Agreed. I haven't even heard of a few of the singers on that list :o.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭RayCon

I will avoid this like the plague ...

Malice wrote: »
    Agreed. I haven't even heard of a few of the singers on that list :o.

You are showing your age, or rather a lack of age, with that comment. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Kess73 wrote: »
    You are showing your age, or rather a lack of age, with that comment. :D
    I dunno about lack of age, I'm 32. Maybe it's a lack of appreciation for Warrant, King's X and Nonpoint?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Metallergy

will they be trussed up in tuxedo's, with cheesy grins on

Mr Big they have been touring Myanmar, Dimapur and the likes in recent years. basically anywhere they're still made feel like mr Big

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

RayCon wrote: »
    I will avoid this like the plague ...

same here

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

joey belladonna doing strangers?????
    ffs the man cannot sing, even if his life depended on it!:eek:

nonpoint will be interesting , i love their cover of inthe air tonight.

Malice wrote: »
    I dunno about lack of age, I'm 32. Maybe it's a lack of appreciation for Warrant, King's X and Nonpoint?

Leave poor Nonpoint alone. They are very generic, but for some reason I like them. Quite enjoyed their latest album, Miracle, despite it being utterly forgettable once it is not playing. :)

I'm with you in showing a lack of appreciation for Warrant and King's X though. You can throw Mr Big and Cheap Trick onto that bonfire as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Numina

I'd find it more apt for Anthrax to cover Love and Marriage, since Married With Children used it as it's theme song and Anthrax famously appeared in an episode of it. Kind of completes the circle. Only interested in hearing what Dev does tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Shant be going anywhere next nor near this tbh. Sinatra songs should not be corrupted by some of the types of musicians (and I use the term loosely) on the list.

Advertisement