Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Howto : Bumper Corner Repair

Options
  • 27-01-2011 4:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭

Following on from this thread where I showed a DIY alloy wheel repair, this thread is how to repair your own bumper scuffs. This is not a defacto guide, and there are many many technique and eqiupment variations, but it should give you a grounding if you want to do this yourself. No responsibility is taken for this thread and guide, if you break your car, you get to keep both halves.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

This is the car as it came to me, bumper scuff encompassing the upper and lower bumper, and across a vertical body line which will need to be restored before painting.

attachment.php?attachmentid=145333&stc=1&d=1296141581

First thing I do in this situation is to sand using 120 paper, and a flat sanding block. If you sand by hand, or machine (Unless you know what you're doing), you'll cause divets to be gouged into the bodywork. They might be so slight that you can't see them or feel them - or even when you apply basecoat - but once the lacquer goes on, you'll spot them a mile away.

What I'm trying to achieve first here is to deburr the edges of the gouges in the plastic, but also to keep the shape of the existing bumper, so using the block, I sand only the vertical edge of the bumper first. Here's the result :

attachment.php?attachmentid=145334&stc=1&d=1296141589

Next up is to use the same paper and block, and sand the burred edges off the rest of the scratches keeping the block flat and smooth. You need to be careful where you're sanding, as the 120 paper can easily damage the original untarnished paint and cause more work for yourself. Here's that done.

attachment.php?attachmentid=145335&stc=1&d=1296141595

Next up is some filler. Remember, we've only deburred the edges of the gouged channels, so we need to fill them up now. On the Onion Board (Like an A4 pad with thick paper you can tear the sheets off each time and have a new mixing surface to work with - loads of layers, hence the name Onion) I have Ed China's recipe for filler, a golf ball of filler to a pea of hardener. Cause it's a cold day today, I have a slightly larger amount of hardener. Here's it premixed :

attachment.php?attachmentid=145336&stc=1&d=1296141600

And here's it mixed. You can clearly see there's no streaks of pink or grey which means it's properly mixed. It has to be applied quickly, as it starts to go tough after a few minutes.

attachment.php?attachmentid=145337&stc=1&d=1296141606

When applying the filler, you need to put on the correct amount to the damage. Only experience will tell you how much, too little and you'll always have an echo/impression of where the damage was when you finish painting. Too much, and you'll be sanding it forever and creating work for yourself. Here, I've selectively applied filler to the scuffs themselves. While I was waiting for the filler to go off, I also masked around the area I was painting. This is vital, as you don't want overspray hitting the areas you're not painting. Because I'm using a very accurate HVLP Turbine setup to spray the paint/lacquer, I don't have much overspray so I only need to mask a small area - if you're using a compressor and guns you'll have to mask a much larger area due to the amount of overspray.

attachment.php?attachmentid=145338&stc=1&d=1296142144

Once the filler had hardened enough, I sanded it back with 180 paper and a block, but this obviously left a rough surface. I switched to 400 and a block, and sanded it smoother with that - again, being careful to sand the vertical flat area, and the curved sections of the bumper separately to keep the body curve intact. I was left with this :

attachment.php?attachmentid=145339&stc=1&d=1296142149

Now the surface was prepared, I could apply primer. Course, I forgot to take a photo of that, but I applied the primer in very light coats, just dusting it on - in between drying it out with my heatgun. Once I'd built up enough primer and was certain it was dry, I got a small bucket of soapy water (The soap acts as a lubricant), and some 800 wet and dry paper. You sand this by hand using plenty of water, and you'll feel the primer become smooth under your hand. Pay particular attention to the edges of the primer where it meets the undamaged bumper, you'll need to sand this so smoothly that it almost appears transparent - this is called feathering the edges. You should be aiming at the end to run your hand across the primer and not feel any lumps, or steps in it, and you shouldn't be able to feel the change between primer and undamaged bumper paint.

A tip for this is if you're right handed, use your left to feel the surface, and vice-versa. Your brain gets more tactile feedback from the hand you don't use often.

Wipe off all the soapy water, and dry everything with a heat gun. The next step is to decide how much you actually need to paint and lacquer. In this example, I've decided to apply the carbon black metallic basecoat as far as the curve edge, and then blend the lacquer half way underneath the headlight.

At this point, you need two things, some scotchpads (Like a pot scourer in the kitchen, available from any motor factors) and this chemical called Antisil.

attachment.php?attachmentid=145344&stc=1&d=1296142880

The anti sil is a surface degreaser, but it also removes any silicone from the surface. Silicone is in sprays like back to black, and even if you're sure there's none there, there probably is and it has to be removed. I pour a little into the scotchpad, and scour the surface of where I'm going to be painting. This removes the silicone which will prevent our waterbased basecoat from adhering, removes road tar, removes other contaminants, but the scotchpad also puts light scratches into the undamaged lacquer allowing our new lacquer to get a grip. I do this as far as the middle of the headlight. Get a clean rag, and wipe off the antisil. Then get your heatgun and dry the damp residue - this will turn white and chalky, and you need to wipe that off too. Make sure to use compressed air in the gaps between the bumper and headlight, bumper and wing, towing eye, headlamp washer and fog light in case there's any other liquids in there that might spit out when spraying paint on to the panel.

Once you're happy with that, make sure your masking tape is still secure, and begin to spray your basecoat. I'm going to assume you know how to use your spraying equipment, but it's vital that you always filter your basecoat and lacquer using a paint strainer such as the one below - for water based paint, it's a 125 micron mesh which removes any lumpy bits or contaminents.

attachment.php?attachmentid=145345&stc=1&d=1296143142

Build up the base coat in very light dusty layers again, just like the primer, using the heat gun to evaporate the water and dry each layer. The paint will go on glossy, and as you dry it, it will turn matt. You need to be very cautious with the heatgun, if you use too much heat, you will burn the paint and it won't grip properly. Bodyshops don't use heatguns - they use compressed air blowing over the panels instead to spirit the water away, but this is a faster solution if you know what you're doing. After you've built up a few layers, and brought the paint to the area where you previously decided you would (In our case, the edge of the curve to the front of the car), it should look like this :

attachment.php?attachmentid=145341&stc=1&d=1296143058

While the basecoat is sitting on the bumper, I usually mix lacquer at this point. As said before, I assume you know how to use your spraying equipment and have a second gun for the clear coat with a thicker needle as it's a thicker liquid. Lacquer is made up of 3 solutions, hardener, lacquer and reducer/thinner. The stuff I use is extremely expensive but dries in about 18 minutes under infrared lamps - so to anyone I've told I've a minimum price and shag off haggling - this is why, this stuff ain't cheap :pac:

First is Hardener :

attachment.php?attachmentid=145346&stc=1&d=1296143326

Second with the blurrycam iphone is the lacquer, roughly about double the amount of hardener (We mix it 2:1 Lacquer to Hardener), and finally drop in about 5% of thinner/reducer. The hardener will make the lacquer even thicker than it normally is, and we use the reducer to give it more liquidity, and allow it to sit more smoothly on the finished panel.

attachment.php?attachmentid=145347&stc=1&d=1296143330

Stir this up well, it'll go crystal clear, and then using a fresh strainer, pour it into your lacquer gun. Set that up the way you feel is best for your equipment (Fan size, lacquer amount) and do a test sprayout on a scrap piece of cardboard to ensure you're getting a consistent finish first before hitting the bodywork.

Apply the lacquer in long even strokes, keeping the gun perpendicular to the surface. Don't be tempted to spray in an arc, you have to have the gun 90 degrees to the panel at all times. Spray from one side to the other, bring the gun up and allow the next line of spray to overlap the last by about 50%. You need to really know what you're doing here - too much lacquer, and it'll run off and look horrible causing you work flatting and polishing later - runs are usually recoverable, but too little lacquer and it'll look cloudy. Make sure your air supply has enough pressure - too little and you'll get an orangepeel texture, and make sure your lacquer is thinned enough or that'll cause orangepeel too.

Lacquer to the area you've chosen (In our example, midway under the headlight). Course, you've a horrible edge now where the new lacquer meets the old, and that has to be taken care of. There are many lacquer blending techniques you can use, depending on the shape of the panel you're painting including painting up as far as a crease/swage line and polishing the line smooth later, but for this example, we're going to do something different.

Very very quickly, empty the lacquer gun, and flush it with some standard thinners. Then pour in a capful of this stuff - fadeout - using one last clean strainer to sieve it. Fadeout is a very strong thinner which for want of a better word melts the old lacquer so the new can fade into it. Spray that starting from the opposite end of the repair, about 3 inches away, and apply a good dusting until you see it begin to blend. This is a fast process, don't spend too long at it, or you'll cause runs by thinning the new lacquer too much.

attachment.php?attachmentid=145348&stc=1&d=1296143347

Here's what it looks like masked up. I have it drying under a shortwave infrared lamp at this point, which I move around the repair, ensuring all the fresh paint has been baked thoroughly. The finish on this example I'm glad to say is like glass direct from the gun, and will not need polishing or flatting.

attachment.php?attachmentid=145349&stc=1&d=1296143360

Here's the final article demasked, and the end of the drying process.

attachment.php?attachmentid=145350&stc=1&d=1296143372

At this point, the lacquer is dry enough to touch, and if you were very anal about the finish, dry enough to polish. The car can now be driven and even if it rains, the paint can cope with it, but washing it needs to be left for a day or two.

Hope that helps anyone thinking of doing it themselves, and if anyone has any questions, I'm happy to answer them.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,348 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

great stuff.

Is there anything special to know re the plastic surface? I have a bit of a phobia about peeling paint on bumpers. Is this a flexible filler or flexible primer or paint?

Also,did you paint the area with the headlight washer cover? How do you handle that, does it need to be removed and painted seperately to get proper finish at the edges of the cover & the opening?

Good question Mick. It depends on how much you sand really, if you get deep down into the plastic itself and have it flat enough not to need filler, you would be best using something like plastifix which is an aersol for sealing plastic first. If you use some of the very very expensive aersol primers like UPol's Hi 5, or Novatio's Novafill they have the plastifix properties built in, so it'll be safe for the future. The Novatio one also has etch properties, so if you're spraying onto metal, it's ideal.

Everything I use is flexible, filler, paint, primer, basecoat and lacquer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Viper_JB

Excellent guide, Thanks! I don't think I'd be able to tackle a job like this myself and hopefully I won't need to but an enlightening read, good to know you're in Cork if I ever need any work done.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,348 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Final question (dont wish to annoy you too much),
    What would be the procedure for rubbing own after the clear coat. You said it was not required there but im sure in most cases, specially if work done by a beginner, it would be?

Also I edited my original question with an extra bit about the headlight washer -
    "did you paint the area with the headlight washer cover? How do you handle that, does it need to be removed and painted seperately to get proper finish at the edges of the cover & the opening?"

mickdw wrote: »
    Final question (dont wish to annoy you too much), What would be the procedure for rubbing own after the clear coat. You said it was not required there but im sure in most cases, specially if work done by a beginner, it would be?

If you do end up with a poor finish, in most cases it's nearly always an orange peel texture or a lacquer run. The remedy is to use some extremely fine wet and dry paper - 2000 grade is what I used - and a flat sanding block either cork or rubber, and plenty of soapy water. You should be able to see the orange peel like dimples on a golf ball, and a run as a pour line, your aim here is to sand the lacquer smooth and remove these.

I won't say it's easy, because its not, and more often than not you can end up going all the way through the lacquer which you don't want.

After it's done, it'll look terrible, but it should be smooth, and this is where it gets difficult, you need to machine polish it to a glass finish again. I use a coarse polishing pad, my polisher running about 1500rpm, LOADS of soapy water, and G3 compound. The real problem here is that if you don't know what you're doing, you can end up through the paint very quickly and have to repaint.
    mickdw wrote: »
    Also I edited my original question with an extra bit about the headlight washer -
    "did you paint the area with the headlight washer cover? How do you handle that, does it need to be removed and painted seperately to get proper finish at the edges of the cover & the opening?"

In my example, I'm lucky, cause I have virtually zero lacquer over the headlight washer. If I did have to paint that section, I would either remove the washer cap (The plastic bit, they usually clip off) and mask the real washer underneath - or I would pull it out by hand, and while it's fully out, wrap a load of masking tape around it. This prevents it from retracting fully and you can paint it, and underneath it easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Seperate

That looks to be an excellent finish for a mobile job, fair play. Some bodyshops do worse with ovens.

Good guide too, although I think i'll leave this kind of thing to lads your yourself!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭franksm

Awesome stuff - any chance of giving names or detail on the items you used, such as the lacquer, hardener, the sanding pads and so on ? Just need to know what to go searching for when I go to buy.

Also, what sort of paint do you use ? Two-pack or water-based ?

Once the weather gets better and warmer, I aim to fix a bit of peeling lacquer on one car, and fix some bumper scuffs on another.

• Advertisement

franksm wrote: »
    Awesome stuff - any chance of giving names or detail on the items you used, such as the lacquer, hardener, the sanding pads and so on ? Just need to know what to go searching for when I go to buy.

Most of the equipment I use which you've asked about is all HB Body stuff - all VOC compliant. Sanding pads I use are normally 3M, but anything will do once it's an appropriate grade.
    Also, what sort of paint do you use ? Two-pack or water-based ?

Water based, its just faster for SMART repairs and a doddle to mix up for me at the side of the road. Most SMART repairers now have switched to Water Based to be VOC compliant, plus, I can normally get my quantities exact for the amount I need to spray meaning I usually have little or no waste.
    Once the weather gets better and warmer, I aim to fix a bit of peeling lacquer on one car, and fix some bumper scuffs on another.

Well, if you do, take loads of photos, and put them up. That's what this forum is for - teaching each other and helping each other out!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Any chance you could put up the names (brand or industry terms) of the lacquer components so I dont look like a complete newb when shopping for these? :)
    Is there a lacquer product that achieves say 90% of the gloss without the need for the hardener and thinner blending? What nozzle size is good for spraying lacquer?

Thanks for the guide btw!

Matt Simis wrote: »
    Any chance you could put up the names (brand or industry terms) of the lacquer components so I dont look like a complete newb when shopping for these?

I use HB Body lacquers, they do a few different types, but if you don't have an short wave infrared lamp, there's no point in spending the extra money on the stuff which dries quickly and still has the high gloss. TBH, if you're doing a few small jobs at home, you're better off talking to a local body shop, or a smaller motor factors who might sell you the chemicals in a smaller quantity - the kits you buy from the motor factors are (By the time you add them together) 8.5 litres!

Most Motor Factors who sell paint are generally friendly when giving advice about what to use - I've seen a few talking to enthusiastic newbies, and they do really give good advice.
    Is there a lacquer product that achieves say 90% of the gloss without the need for the hardener and thinner blending? What nozzle size is good for spraying lacquer?

If you're talking about spraying without hardener, or reducer, you'll need a 1k (1 pack) lacquer. U-Pol do a 1k lacquer but bear in mind it won't be as tough as a 2k lacquer when applied.

If you're spraying lacquer using a turbine, probably a needle size of 1.3mm, if it's a compressor, 1.5mm minimum.
    Thanks for the guide btw!

No problem, glad people are enjoying it! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,895 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Great guide, very concise and a superb show case for roadside SMART systems.

Is it possible you have tips for Laquer Peel Repair, Or intend on putting similar guide together?

It actually wouldn't vary a whole lot from this guide, I'd be inclined to use a sanding block with a 400 grit dry paper for the affeccted panel/area, progressing to 600 wet and dry - at that point any of the lacquer which is going to peel will be gone, and anything not gripping underneath would be gone too. Prime the poor areas (Depending on the colour being painted, you might need to primer the whole lot - if it's a translucent colour like white/red), flat the primer, and just belt away with the scotchpad/antisil as above and carry on painting.

Thanks for the feedback though!

First thing I would always do is try to polish up the faded paintwork and restore the original colour. Red as you know is a nightmare for this. If that works, you can normally get away with the original colour if you blend it into the original paint correctly.

Failing that, it gets interesting. Next step would be for me to take out my paint sample cards/swatches, put the kettle on in the car and make a coffee while going through the 170 odd thousand paint cards to find one which matches. If that lucks out, then I'll mix the original paint, and then darken/lighten it manually. Problem with that is that water based paint dries a different colour to the freshly mixed stuff in the paint pot, so you need to keep applying a sample to the area on the car, dry it, and repeat until you get it right. I had to do it on an old Mini recenly when the colour code was completely different to what had been sprayed by the owner himself on the car. Took a good 2 hours to get the colour right, and was pretty frustrating.

Some bodyshops now use a spectrometer. If I had a few thousand to throw away, I'd love to buy one. It's like a bluetooth camera that snaps photos of the paint at high magnification from 6/7 angles, and sends the data back to the laptop and it'll give you the mix immediately. Life would be a lot easier with that :D

• Registered Users Posts: 33,895 ✭✭✭✭listermint

It actually wouldn't vary a whole lot from this guide, I'd be inclined to use a sanding block with a 400 grit dry paper for the affeccted panel/area, progressing to 600 wet and dry - at that point any of the lacquer which is going to peel will be gone, and anything not gripping underneath would be gone too. Prime the poor areas (Depending on the colour being painted, you might need to primer the whole lot - if it's a translucent colour like white/red), flat the primer, and just belt away with the scotchpad/antisil as above and carry on painting.

Thanks for the feedback though!

So in an ideal sense, you would have to paint and it would not be possible to just treat the area to a laquer coat?

Unfortunately not - the poor lacquer will be visible under the new lacquer, no matter how much you polish it or try to fade it. You need to seal it away under paint and primer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭IK09

Hey Owen,

Just a quick question. Previously I started a thread called "FULL BODY PAINT JOB". I attempted to respray a car using knowledge only found on the Internet... It took a while! You can check out the job with the photos if you would like. To cut a long story I found when I applied the laquer coat that I got that "orange peel" effect you talked of. Granted I skipped the stage after the primer, base, and top coat of sanding with extremely fine sand paper. Is this the reason that happened? Or was I applying the laquer coat to heavy? I'm asking because Maximus (the blue monster) is now dead. And I'm in the market for new wheels. The machine I have chosen has a bumper scrape. Larger in size to that which you have shown, and some what deeper. Anyway I'm just anxious to go at a newer vechile with the gung hoe attitude I had for my older car.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭IK09

IK09 wrote: »
    Hey Owen,

Just a quick question. Previously I started a thread called "FULL BODY PAINT JOB". I attempted to respray a car using knowledge only found on the Internet... It took a while! You can check out the job with the photos if you would like. To cut a long story I found when I applied the laquer coat that I got that "orange peel" effect you talked of. Granted I skipped the stage after the primer, base, and top coat of sanding with extremely fine sand paper. Is this the reason that happened? Or was I applying the laquer coat to heavy? I'm asking because Maximus (the blue monster) is now dead. And I'm in the market for new wheels. The machine I have chosen has a bumper scrape. Larger in size to that which you have shown, and some what deeper. Anyway I'm just anxious to go at a newer vechile with the gung hoe attitude I had for my older car.

By the way I'm very inexperience and rarely have anything to do with vechiles anymore

• Advertisement

Generally orange peel will happen for two reasons, the chemical mix is incorrect, and the gun has the wrong settings dialed in.

Clear Coat's made up of Lacquer, Hardener and Reducer/Thinner. Generally most lacquer's are mixed 2 parts lacquer, 1 part hardener, and 5-10% thinners. You have to stir the absolute boll*cks out of it to make sure it's uniformly mixed in the cup before pouring it into the gun. If too much hardener, or not enough thinners are in the mix it'll orange peel. If there's too much thinners, it'll run.

The gun's fluid needle needs to be screwed out enough that a reasonably soupy coat can flow, but not screwed out enough that too much flows causing runs.

Also, it it's too warm on the day you're spraying, it'll orange peel too, but this is Ireland and that hardly every happens.

You should get a good finish from the gun that won't require flatting/polishing. That should always be your aim!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭dharn

brilliant post owen, can i ask is it possible to guarantee a colour match i have an 06 bmw, sparkling graphite that needs a small area on rear passenger door repairing, can i demand an invisible repair, ie perfect colour match and if the repair is obvious , then reduce the price

Sparkling graphite's an easy enough colour to match, but no way should you use a SMART repair for a door, it just isn't suitable unfortunately.

Advertisement