Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kieran Cunningham's killer jailed for life *Mod Note post #16*

Options
  • 27-01-2011 4:27pm

Galway Advertiser has just posted this on their Facebook page. It's not reported anywhere else yet.

Found an article:
    A 28-year-old man has been sentenced to life in jail for the murder of a 20-year-old Galway man in June 2009.

Alexsander Nadowdny, formerly of Renmore Park, Galway, had denied the murder of 20-year-old Kieran Cunningham.

Mr Cunningham died after he was stabbed three times while walking home after a night out with friends in the city.

The prosecution had described it as a 'quiet and deadly killing', carried out 'swiftly and expertly' by a bodybuilder Nadowdny whose victim was much smaller.

The trial heard that Mr Cunningham had been walking home when Nadowdny crossed the road and stabbed him for no apparent reason before walking away.

The accused man said he had no memory of the killing because he was drunk.

He said his girlfriend had told him to do something about Mr Cunningham who was shouting on the other side of the road. She denied this during the trial.

The jury found Nadowdny guilty of murder after almost three hours of deliberation.

In an emotional victim impact statement, the victim's uncle, Martin Cunningham, described how Mr Cunningham was born prematurely weighing just two pounds.

He told the court he had to fight for his life from the beginning.

Mr Cunningham's parents spent years visiting hospitals with him and dedicated their entire lives to him and their other two children.

He said Kieran's father, Donie, made a pact with God the day he was born. He offered to give up his social life if God would let his son live.

Mr Cunningham said his brother kept his side of the deal and now struggled to come to terms with the fact that Kieran's last moments on earth were filled with horror.

His parents could not understand how any supposed human being could stab their son for no reason, or how anyone could be so evil.

Martin Cunningham said Kieran was brutally murdered for no reason. He described him as full of energy, the joker and entertainer in the family.

A family home once filled with craic and laughter was now one of sleepless nights, he said.

Mr Cunningham's family sobbed in court as the jury's verdict was delivered.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Good to hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭fish fingers

It was on Rte news at one on tv. Good to hear anyways

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭yeehaw

yeehaw wrote: »

Just found that article myself - added it to the OP

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Terrible loss of a fine young mans life , his killer got what he deserved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Phoenix Park

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Terrible loss of a fine young mans life , his killer got what he deserved.

You reckon?. Out in his 30's.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭jassha

Galway Advertiser has just posted this on their Facebook page. It's not reported anywhere else yet.

Found an article:

was on today fm at 3

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I'm so glad that this has come to a conclusion and that the killer has received life in jail.
    RIP Kieran, condolences to the family.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭softmee

Very good. I am just wondering why advertiser placed this girls picture on the second page. Is that legal if she wasnt pleaded gulity of anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

softmee wrote: »
    Very good. I am just wondering why advertiser placed this girls picture on the second page. Is that legal if she wasnt pleaded gulity of anything?

She was a witness not a co-accused.

In any event, her identy is a matter for the public record.

• Advertisement

ronnie3585 wrote: »

In any event, her identy is a matter for the public record.

Is it? I dont know and nobody knows the truth. Sure if she encouraged him to do this she should end up in prison too, but if she was "just" a witness i am not sure about showing her face to the public.

Anyway, when something like this happens i feel bad about beeing polish and i am sorry this kind of people invaded you country too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Great news but its a petty he wasn't hanged, pure scum and a greased up Polish bodybuilder no less.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Great news but its a petty he wasn't hanged, pure scum and a greased up Polish bodybuilder no less.

Ya, I prefer my Polish bodybuilders non-greasy, thanks very much.

Nobody should be hanged in civilized world. The one who raped and murdered Manuela Riedo neither.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

The nationality of the convicted is neither here nor there, a murderer is a murderer, plain and simple, no matter where they're from. It would be no less horrendous if it was 'one of our own'.

If this turns into an immigrant bashing thread, then bans will follow, don't say you weren't warned.

/moderation

That aside, I hope the family of the victim can find some solace in the conviction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 503 ✭✭✭whoopdedoo

Nobody should be hanged in civilized world. The one who raped and murdered Manuela Riedo neither.

I beg to differ, did you ever know of J Barry yourself? what he did to people around town for years and years is defo deserving of a good hanging as a punishment and that's a fact!!

instead, once again he's being fed 3 times a day and kept drugged up in a nice warm cell with a tv and kettle all at the expense of the state!!

off with his head

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

Discuss the death penalty, crime & punishment in one of these places:

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=443
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=99
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=21

not in this thread, thank you.

/moderation

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

Is it? I dont know and nobody knows the truth. Sure if she encouraged him to do this she should end up in prison too, but if she was "just" a witness i am not sure about showing her face to the public.

Anyway, when something like this happens i feel bad about beeing polish and i am sorry this kind of people invaded you country too.
    Yes her identity is public, her picture from CCTV pictures was circulated from early on in the investigation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

whoopdedoo wrote: »
    I beg to differ, did you ever know of J Barry yourself?

I know a G Barry, but no J Barry.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,042 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

What a tragic event to have happened to the young man and his family. RIP

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

It's interesting to look back at the thread created at the time..all 13 pages of it. http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=205558158

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

snubbleste wrote: »
    It's interesting to look back at the thread created at the time..all 13 pages of it. http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=205558158

Wrong link or deleted?

Curious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 389 ✭✭Jamey

Justice served. I was in Karma the night it happened, and coming out of there to see a pool of blood on the path was a horrifying site. Sometimes think it could have been me or one of my mates......

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭fend

I actually teared up reading that article...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Tragic incident in the history of our city. Glad that he got the toughest sentance but not so glad the toughest sentance here equates to a slap on the wrist in other countries. He took a life, he should give his in my opinion. But anyway I hope the family gets closure from this and the other inmates make this guy feel 'welcome' when he gets to prison

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Jesus. I'm in bits after reading that. No one should have to bury their child.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,905 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Agh, that's a hard read. My sister was in the same class as Kieran's sister. They had it tough.
    Delighted the murderer got life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Greaney

Many murders aren't solved and it's a blessing this one has been. The life sentence is soft, yes! I have to say this murder has genuinely shocked me. Not only because the victim was known to be such a lovely lad but it just made no sense.

Finally, I think drink is NEVER an excuse. NEVER, NEVER. Crazy drunks cost this state millions in tax payers money every year (speaking as a mum who had to sit in A&E with her 17 yr old son for 12 hours because some eejit smashed on bucky decided he didn't like him, he didn't even know him!!!).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

Greaney wrote: »
    Finally, I think drink is NEVER an excuse. NEVER, NEVER. Crazy drunks cost this state millions in tax payers money every year (speaking as a mum who had to sit in A&E with her 17 yr old son for 12 hours because some eejit smashed on bucky decided he didn't like him, he didn't even know him!!!).

They also reported today that he was a bodybuilder who took steroids. No mention of Roid Rage being a factor here but it doesn't take a genius.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Greaney

They also reported today that he was a bodybuilder who took steroids. No mention of Roid Rage being a factor here but it doesn't take a genius.

Oh goodness yes, that does explain a lot.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement