Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kieran Cunningham's killer jailed for life *Mod Note post #16*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

I'm glad for the family that he got the maximum but it's not going to bring anyone back. It's just a horrible thing.

How long did Maneula Riedo's killer get?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

How long did Maneula Riedo's killer get?

Life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Unfortunatley "life" in this country often means as little as 14 years.

So, in theory, he could be out by the time he's 42.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

What is life,nothing! Disgraceful should do the amount of years he took from him and then the years he took from the rest of his family.And no sooner.The punishment should fit the crime.IMO
    R.I.P
    Condolences to all his family and friends.

• Advertisement

Plus half off if your a good boy.... which can't be too hard since your stuck in a cell all day.

If I was to form a political party, the first thing i would do is seriously clamp down on repeat offenders.
    No more of this equal sentencing and good behaviour crap.
    Every additional offence should carry a longer penalty, an end to bail, they wait in jail until their case is up(countless scummers are arrested while on bail).

It would make everyones life a hell of a lot easier to keep these guys off the streets permanently, less houses being robbed, less cars, less patients to deal with in hospitals after assaults.

Sadly Manulas life would still be with us if Barry was kept in for crimes which should have seen him serve life(Manslaughter in Eyre Sq, and blinded a pensioner)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭sgthighway

1 Life Sentence for the Riedo Murder
    5 years for stealing her phone
    5 years for stealing her camera
    2 Life Sentences for rape of french girl 7 weeks before the murder

We won't see him again.

Plus half off if your a good boy.... which can't be too hard since your stuck in a cell all day.

If I was to form a political party, the first thing i would do is seriously clamp down on repeat offenders.
    No more of this equal sentencing and good behaviour crap.
    Every additional offence should carry a longer penalty, an end to bail, they wait in jail until their case is up(countless scummers are arrested while on bail).

It would make everyones life a hell of a lot easier to keep these guys off the streets permanently, less houses being robbed, less cars, less patients to deal with in hospitals after assaults.

Sadly Manulas life would still be with us if Barry was kept in for crimes which should have seen him serve life(Manslaughter in Eyre Sq, and blinded a pensioner)

What is need is put the bad ones to work in the canals cleaning them up like chain gangs.I mean they get paid to live in jail free food free clothes free rent free gym free schooling free medical care.What else is free?
    And then get paid when they get out? And have a right to life after wards without repercussions as they did their time.
    What a load of bull****.

sgthighway wrote: »
    1 Life Sentence for the Riedo Murder
    5 years for stealing her phone
    5 years for stealing her camera
    2 Life Sentences for rape of french girl 7 weeks before the murder

We won't see him again.

He should have been serving a 'proper' life as it was before that even happened.

Involved in the manslaughter of a man in eyre square who was beaten up by a gang of which he was one, and also beat up a pensioner and i believe blinded the poor man.

Also there was the fella in Dublin who killed the Polish lad with the screwdriver around a year ago, he was out on temporary release.

Closer to home i have a friend who was glassed in the face by a lad who at the age of 20 is a repeat offender, if kept of the streets instead of receiving petty sentences his face wouldn't be scarred now.
    Even if he does time and chooses to avoid paying compensation he'll be back out again before the year is over.

I also remember reading a few weeks back in one of the local papers that a taxi driver was pulled from his car and beaten by a country lad, compensation was paid and that was the end of it.
    The compensation should be ADDITIONAL, if they don't pay it, then take it from any future pay packs or welfare payments.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

I'm not being racist here. I'm just curious, will this guy do his time in Ireland or Poland. I presume Ireland?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭CaliforniaDream

I hope the family can get something from this. Perhaps they can take the time to grieve properly now and maybe get some peace in their lives.

I remember the night this happened. We finished work early because it was so quiet. Left at about 2am just around the corner from the incident, from the articles I've read, I think at about the same time it happened.
    I remember saying to my boyfriend how quiet it was that night. Always wonder if we could have done something if we had gone left instead of right when we left work.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 353 ✭✭discodiva92

So did the victim haress a female or what happened

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭mrsweebri

can someone tell me what "life" actually means please? I saw someone say "as little as 14 years" but assume thats if you get out early? What is the actual number of years for life or is it not fixed? thanks

wanted to add what a terrible thing for the boy's family and hope they can get back to grieving without sparing any more energy on the court case.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭soundbyte

mrsweebri wrote: »
    can someone tell me what "life" actually means please? I saw someone say "as little as 14 years" but assume thats if you get out early? What is the actual number of years for life or is it not fixed? thanks

Life means life in Ireland.

However, the Minister for Justice can decide to release a life-term prisoner on licence, but that person can be recalled to prison at any point. While they may be out, it is only on licence and they are still serving a life sentence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭xE

Good to see some justice done, not ideal but its the best that could have been expected. On the immigration issue, it would make you wonder what animals slipped in along with the decent immigrants.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

So did the victim haress a female or what happened
    Just read the article in the paper. It tells you what happened.
    Wiki:
    A life sentence in the Republic of Ireland may last for the natural life of the convict.
    It is not necessarily "life imprisonment" in practice, as not all of the life sentence is generally served in prison custody. The granting of temporary or early release of life sentenced prisoners is a feature of the Irish prison system handled by the Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform.
    Prisoners serving very long sentences, including life sentences, are normally reviewed on a number of occasions over a number of years before any substantial concessions would be recommended by the Board.
    The final decision as to whether a life sentenced prisoner is released rests solely with the Minister, and as such, the length of time spent in custody by offenders serving life sentences can vary substantially.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭softmee

biko wrote: »
    Just read the article in the paper. It tells you what happened.

No it doesnt. It tells what was the murderer's statement only.

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭cats.life

fend wrote: »
    I actually teared up reading that article...
    my 7 year old was in bits when we told him that kieran had died ,(we didint tell him exactly what happend cos he be having night mares) cos on a friday we get our lad a gingerbread man for a treat in hugh,s and kieran always knew what to get him ,they have a little chat. jail is to good for him ,3 meals a day , no rent to pay, playstation in his room,.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Predalien

wanted to add what a terrible thing for the boy's family and hope they can get back to grieving without sparing any more energy on the court case.

The average is now 17 years.
    http://www.tribune.ie/archive/article/2008/dec/28/life-now-nears-life/

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

softmee wrote: »
    No it doesnt. It tells what was the murderer's statement only.
    Ok, if you want more info discodiva92 we have some earlier threads from when it happened.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055581585
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055633578
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055633578
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055636203

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭Dave Joyce

When the decision was first announced I read some of the details of the court case on the Eircom news site and I am amazed the the bitch that was with him SEEMS to have walked free!

In the transcripts, not only did she accuse Kieran of shouting abuse (or some such other BS) and ask that d*ckhead to do something about it, BUT she had the knife in HER bag. She opened the bag, offering the knife to him and told him to do something about it. She ALSO put the bag back into HER bag after Kieran had been stabbed AND DIDN'T give the bastard up when he was been pursued. She deserves every bit of a life sentence AS WELL!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,968 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Dave, I think you've mixed up his testimony with hers.

This story gives both sides, and says that she went to the garda after two days.

(He says that he was so drunk that he can't remember doing it, but can remember that she gave him the knife. Somehow I just don't buy it ...)

why would she be carring a knife , i dont get it either as in she was the one who had the knife ,he was out of it on booze and steroids,,she egged him on to do somthing about the so called shouting at her. it wouldnt have happend if she had no knife yet she got away with it.

cats.life wrote: »
    why would she be carring a knife , i dont get it either as in she was the one who had the knife ,he was out of it on booze and steroids,,she egged him on to do somthing about the so called shouting at her. it wouldnt have happend if she had no knife yet she got away with it.

Agreed wouldn't she be an accessory before the fact,also involved in conspiracy to commit assault? I didnt read is she Irish? If not deport her if she isnt getting charged.

caseyann wrote: »
    Agreed wouldn't she be an accessory before the fact,also involved in conspiracy to commit assault? I didnt read is she Irish? If not deport her if she isnt getting charged.
    think she is polish. i remember being in the shop the day kieran was chatting to his work pals that he was going out that night (i was chating to one of them while he was passing her by)he wasnt out all week so he was so looking forward of having a few pints.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,968 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

cats.life wrote: »

She says she wasn't carrying the knife.

He says she was, and gave it to him.

FWIW, from what I've read in the newspapers, I'm inclined to believe her.

Partly this is because she wasn't charged: for all we give out about the garda's performance at traffic control and minor crime, they do seem to have a grip on major crime. This makes me think that if there was evidence that could have been used to charge her, it would have been done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭jugger0

softmee wrote: »
    Nobody should be hanged in civilized world. The one who raped and murdered Manuela Riedo neither.

This is the same spineless nature that has made the country the way it is. That scumbag who murdered the Riedo girl was involved in the kicking to death of a man, and was a disgusting human being who shouldnt be let live. What is the reason for keeping these people alive? what a waste of money to keep,feed and entertain these evil beings. No "civilized" world should let criminals back onto the streets to attack the innocent.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Counter argument: how many times have innocent people being wrongfully convicted?
    The system is not perfect.
    And for heinous crimes, I would think it more punishing to imprison someone where they rot in jail and pass from memory than to give them the 'easy way out' through an execution with the 'fame' associated with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭jugger0

po0k wrote: »
    Counter argument: how many times have innocent people being wrongfully convicted?
    The system is not perfect.
    And for heinous crimes, I would think it more punishing to imprison someone where they rot in jail and pass from memory than to give them the 'easy way out' through an execution with the 'fame' associated with that.

These days wrongfull convitions are pretty low, is there any doubt this lad isnt responsible for the crime? what about gerald barry? do you think he might be innocent?

Ah man you know aswell as me life doesnt mean life, he'll be out at some stage no doubt. Rot in jail... have you seen the luxurys they get there? its a holiday home for gods sake! playstations,gyms,nice food... they have it better then alot of people.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭LawnMower Man

Costs €250000 to keep one man in Jail in Ireland per year.

That cash could do alot more good in other areas that are suffering cutbacks.

In China they just shoot them and send the bill for the bullet to the family.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement