Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home Economics 2011

• 27-01-2011 4:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi,

So I am having a some trouble with the Home Ec syllabus, im finding it pretty tedious, alot of infromation to learn in such a short time. I heard from my older sister who done the HE exam three years that some teachers/ grind givers etc can give little hints as to what is expected to come up. This can be retreived by looking at patterns within the past papers. So although i have kinda looked myself im wondering if someone else has an opinion on this, has your teacher maybe concentrated on one area they imagine should come up. I know in places like the institute in Dublin, the lectures have a say in the educational papers therefore they concentrate on these areas in the class. Maybe I am wrong and that is a myth!!? But please please can some one help me so I can try and clear my Home Ec Mental Block :):)..Nikkibelle

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭forestfruits

The State Examinations Commission put the papers together so the Institute do not have a say in the paper- its a myth.

the course is only on the go since 2004 so its pretty impossible to say what could come up- only area that that may be possible is in your elective.

Have a look at the syllabus online and tick off the areas that have come up already.

Apart from that - spend most time on foods, food processing and nutrients, budgets and housing
    Also microbiology

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Nickibelle

Thank you very much for your kind response. I will certainly take your advice into account. Can you also tell me where I can view the syllabus online?? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Cat82

http://www.curriculumonline.ie/uploadedfiles/PDF/lc_homeeconomics_sy.pdf

This is the syllabus. The paper can't really be predicted yet as it is reasonably young so not patterns have emerged as yet. Your nutrients and food groups are very important as they make up most of Q1 and possibly Q2 or Q3, as well as making up a good few short questions.

I'm not much help after that to you. The one thing I will say is Q1 sometimes needs a bit of thinking and common sense and not all theory you may have learned. They give graphs, pie charts and ask you to explain why the trend is like this. This is something you may not have covered in class but its something that if you think logically about you will know the answer. Also know your elective its a good way to gain marks.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭seriouslysweet

The myth that the Institute have a say has been rife for years. My older cousin, like myself, attend a public school but she said 11 years when studying for the LC there were girls down for the weekend who attended there saying they knew what was coming up. They were studying a very narrow section of certain courses and all got stung badly in Biology and something else. End of story is you've as much a chance as anyone else does, perhaps some H.E. teachers here might help you? Would examining past papers help you?

Advertisement