Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

GPS for motorbike

• 27-01-2011 4:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

i am looking to get a waterproof sat nav for my vfr400 nc30. im willing to spend about 300. what would be the best to go with??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

Garmin Zumo 550

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=414#zumo

Try and find a second hand one on fleabay.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

If you have a smartphone just get a RAM mount with waterproof case and hook up a power supply. Phone, music & satnav all in one package :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

The 550 is is your phone and music too. I have one, its great. Don't have it connected for sound though.
    If you're using your phone try and get some sort of app that let's you pre download maps. Was using my phone a while ago and if you go off the beaten track you'll find plenty of places with no phone signal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

Paparazzo wrote: »
    if you go off the beaten track you'll find plenty of places with no phone signal.
    And if you go outside Ireland it'll cost you a fortune in data roaming charges if you haven't got maps preloaded on the phone. +1 to the idea of picking up a second hand zumo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

I had a Zumo 550 and found it cumbersome, difficult to use and unreliable. After it let me down a few times I sold it, but if I needed another bike satnav I'd probably buy a €99 cheapie from Halfords or somewhere and stick it in a ziplock bag on my tankbag.

The phone/music bluetooth link was only a nuisance with the Zumo and I found it a distraction. If you need music while riding a bike you should buy a Goldwing...

'cptr

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

If you need music while riding a bike you should buy a Goldwing...

'cptr

"need"

'kkzi

Yeah, I'm not really interested in music when on the bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 283 ✭✭carsQhere

if I needed another bike satnav I'd probably buy a €99 cheapie from Halfords or somewhere and stick it in a ziplock bag on my tankbag.

Totally agree. Zumo is way overpriced for what it is. I have a basic car unit, a garmin nuvi 310, shove it in the tankbag pocket (in a ziplok bag if it's raining) & it runs about 3 hours or so on a full charge. Works fine, but needs a bit of faffing about to get it in the right position and keep it there. I can even run the charger cable to it cos there's a 12v socket on the bike, but I wouldn't usually bother.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,784 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

I have the TomTom Rider 2, and find it great.

But 300 won't get you a 'proper' bike unit - it'll get you a car unit, but they're not waterproof...........

I love that the Rider works as phone kit too, incl text's.

Currently working on working-in the iPod into the scheme of things.

And no, it's not a Gold Wing - it's a Harley.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

carsQhere wrote: »
    Totally agree. Zumo is way overpriced for what it is. I have a basic car unit, a garmin nuvi 310, shove it in the tankbag pocket (in a ziplok bag if it's raining) & it runs about 3 hours or so on a full charge. Works fine, but needs a bit of faffing about to get it in the right position and keep it there. I can even run the charger cable to it cos there's a 12v socket on the bike, but I wouldn't usually bother.

I would definitely advise a mount. Tankbags are horrible yolks and destroy the paint

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Ratchet

rymus wrote: »
    And if you go outside Ireland it'll cost you a fortune in data roaming charges if you haven't got maps preloaded on the phone. +1 to the idea of picking up a second hand zumo.

you should have maps pre loaded before you go :)

i found ovi maps on nokia great ...use my mobile with ear piece on the bike and via Bluetooth kit on my car...dont really need to see the map while driving ....I keep my eyes on the road and signs ...

one more device less to worry about....would only consider it if i had GS or similar bike

• Registered Users Posts: 44 grumpybore

I have a car sat nav ,and for my easter trip to France ,I am buying a waterproof gps mount off Amazon , it clips to your bike bars ,then you put the unit into a zip pouch ....looks ok on the Amazon site .........cant afford a proper bike unit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 497 ✭✭experimenter

mayoman24 wrote: »
    i am looking to get a waterproof sat nav for my vfr400 nc30. im willing to spend about 300. what would be the best to go with??

I have a Garmin Zumo with Full EU maps and motorbike RAM mount etc..used it on my BMW..

Make me an offer if you are interested?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭buzzard

I have a Garmin Zumo with Full EU maps and motorbike RAM mount etc..used it on my BMW..

Make me an offer if you are interested?

Interested in the garmin unit. PM your asking price

• Registered Users Posts: 44 grumpybore

...I posted previously about the waterproof cover from Amazon ,it arrived ,fitted to the bike in seconds ,and my cheapo car sat nav fits perfectly .Took it for a 200mile spin on saturday and it worked a treat .Ok so no voice commands ,and from my bike anyway (due to its age) I cant charge it on the go , but for less than 20 euro delivered its a winner for me . It will also hold an iphone or similar .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

Ratchet wrote: »
    you should have maps pre loaded before you go :)
    That'd be just heavenly if you could do that on an iphone without buying something like tom tom's crazy priced sat nav app.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 rocky112

Try TOMTOM rider and these are especially designed for motorbikes and it would cost around £280 and you can also get a Scala rider ear piece with it this is a bluetooth that will fit with helmet and link direct to TOMTOM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭rock22

Most Nokia smartphones include free maps and , as they incorporate a GPS receiver, can be used throughout world without roaming charges.

I have recently used one and found it as good as any other car type GPS. Dedicated Bike GPS would probably be better. I kept mine in clear rain proff map case on top of tank bag.

And MAP updates are free whereas Garmin and TomTome charges can be up to €150 for updating Europe maps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Garmin Zumo 550 good robust device, have one almost 4 years now although I have used it in the Van / car more than on the bike. The only weak point is the brass pick ups on the bike mount. I had this replaced under warranty.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭txpjl

I use a Garmin Nuvi 770. ~200 3 years ago. Much cheaper now I guess. I stick it in my tank bag (clear plastic see through) with a set of ear-buds (headphones) and works great. Battery will last for 4 hours, but I can also plug in into the bikes battery using a cigarette connection.

P

• Advertisement
Advertisement