Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eating fish

Options
  • 27-01-2011 5:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

I have been a visitor to Galway for the last 17 years I think at least once and sometimes twice a year for a few days. My best restaurant for eating fish was Conlons by the Post Office in Eglinton Street, and it is no more. Any suggestions. Sitting down to a choice of fish dishes preferably, not just fish and chips, nice though that can be also. But it is not the season for a beach picnic.

thank you.

Anyone know what they closed? Web site is still there.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭swe_fi

I am not sure if you are asking for a restaurant (?) but if you are, I would strongly recommend Artisan for Fish. Class selection and really nicely prepared.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭chasmcb

A bit out of town but O'Grady's on Barna Pier is good for seafood

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Acidflash

chasmcb wrote: »
    A bit out of town but O'Grady's on Barna Pier is good for seafood

+1

Cookes Restaurant on Abbeygate St used to be good for fish too, haven't been there in a while so don't know if this is still the case. Mcdonagh's chipper has a restaurant section too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 booksalot

I have been a visitor to Galway for the last 17 years I think at least once and sometimes twice a year for a few days. My best restaurant for eating fish was Conlons by the Post Office in Eglinton Street, and it is no more. Any suggestions. Sitting down to a choice of fish dishes preferably, not just fish and chips, nice though that can be also. But it is not the season for a beach picnic.

thank you.

Anyone know what they closed? Web site is still there.
    Mc Donnagh's on Quay St a favourite with locals. Always a big Q on Fridays. Great 1 + 1 and mighty onion rings

• Registered Users Posts: 10,488 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Its a take-away, but the lad who owned Conlons now runs the fish n chips place opposite Taffes pub if thats any help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Its a take-away, but the lad who owned Conlons now runs the fish n chips place opposite Taffes pub if thats any help.

Ya. Pity the chips are done in beef fat. Eliminates going for a
    nosh there with your veggie/fish friends. Oh well.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,488 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Yeah. Not been in yet because of that. Must wander in for a chat. Might try and make him change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 medorrhinum

In the event I was taken to a restaurant in Kirwans Lane run by the same team as the one on Barna Pier. The fish was great. I was well looked after. The rest of the group enjoyed the sea food. Only snag I can think of is very noisy as no soft furnishings or curtains.

No comment on prices as I was a guest

Creme Brulée was also good

bye and thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 18 youngb

If you fancy something different I would recommend looking up Galway Bay Seafoods. They run cookery classes during the year where you cook the meal and then get to eat it after usually with a nice glass of wine! I couldn't recommend it enough! Very very reasonable prices as well.

Just an idea, might be something fun to do next time your around!

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Surfacezebra

Kettle fo fish is excellent,wide range of fresh fish including lovely platters and you can bring in your own wine or get a drink from the pub next door:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement