Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GPS Tracking

Options
  • 27-01-2011 5:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭

Hi all, just looking for some advice with regard to tracking down someone (literally).

Backstory as follows: last week, when I was away on business my housemate broke down my bedroom door and proceeded to do his weekly shopping with my belongings, in the end he took my Dell Laptop, a Sony Camera, PS2, PSP, 4 bottles of bodywash, 2 bathrobes and numerous other items.

To complicate things - I'm living it Italy... Today I went to the local police station and filed a complaint against this guy - the Police Sergeant let me know that without this guy's current address they can't do much - with it they can go there with a warrant and search the premises. He told me that if I can provide them with the address then things will move a lot faster.

Now I know where and when this guy works, what I need to do is find out where he lives. I figured this was the most appropriate forum to get info on devices which could be used in this type of situation.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

From a technical point of view his mobile phone is the only way really.Although robbery would not be a serious enough crime to warrent the resources required.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭zeusnero

what about a GPS tracking device on his car?

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭smokie2008

Go all James bond and follow the bastard home

smokie2008 wrote: »
    Go all James bond and follow the bastard home

unfortunately that's not an option as he finishes work around 3 in the morning and so it would be fairly obvious that he was being followed :(

i found this device which looks like it might do the trick - http://www.gpstrackingdevices4u.com/gps-car-tracker-p-1206.html

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭MrThrifty

Bizarre story...! Anyway, you can get those GPS yokes for less than 100 yoyos from the likes of Deal Extreme as far as I recall. Alternatively, you could just buy a new iPhone and leave it on the ground near his car and then use the old 'Find my iPhone' web utility to see where he lives after he takes it home!! Regardless, I can't see why you can't just pass his reg plate number on to the police who can then locate where he's currently living?! If that fails, just follow the guy home - obviously not to his door step as you can track down his car in an estate etc. after... Better still, use a friends car just in case, and throw a cap or balaclava on for good measure...:D

• Advertisement

well, just thought I'd give an update - thanks to everyone who replied. In the end I didn't go all James Bond on his ass (though that would've been fun :) but the b*****d got his just desserts in the end. Apparently he'd been reported to the police for 3 other crimes so eventually they tracked him down and raided his apartment.

He'd already sold my Laptop and PSP but I did get my PS2 and digital cam back... The scumbag is still walking the streets and won't have his trial (for the other more serious, grievous bodily harm style charges) until 2012/13 but it's genuinely reassuring to know that occasionally justice gets served :D

Advertisement