Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

No fixed abode

• 27-01-2011 5:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Something I've wondered about for a while and now with a General election on the way; how do travellers vote and pay taxes if they have no fixed abode, does anyone know?

Is there a central PO box for travellers so they can get their Passports and other documents forwarded on or do they have a main listed residence?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 565 ✭✭✭bigwormbundoran

TheZohan wrote: »
    Something I've wondered about for a while and now with a General election on the way; how do travellers vote and pay taxes if they have no fixed abode, does anyone know?

Is there a central PO box for travellers so they can get their Passports and other documents forwarded on or do they have a main listed residence?

BAHAHAHAHA!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

BAHAHAHAHA!!!

They pay Road Tax on their vehicles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

they pay taxes through their employer like everyone else. they pay taxes on the goods and services like everyone else. thats all im saying on this before it degenerates into the usual ignorant **** throwing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭macquarie

they pay taxes through their employer like everyone else. they pay taxes on the goods and services like everyone else. thats all im saying on this before it degenerates into the usual ignorant **** throwing

:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Who's their employer and what is his address?
    Da big boss man, side o' the road oirland.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭tenchi-fan

There's train their dogs as couriers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭flyton5

Queue traveller bashing....

I might say goodbye to everyone now before I'm banned...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

While doing some work I came across a very nice traveller human - nice tax paying fellow he was unlike the other 99.99999999999999999%

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Cunning Stunt

Sorry to deviate from the traveller bashing :rolleyes:.... but is there still no system in place to allow Irish people living abroad to vote? I wanna help get rid of FF :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

They are screwed now with the new Commercial tax rules. You need to produce a tax cert , signed by the Garda to change ownership of a van now. Or pay at the private tax rate.

A tinker asked me about it one day, I had the form and showed it to him. He could not read so I read it to him.
    He was very worried indeed.

PS. Every week I get approached by them at some stage wanting to buy my hiace. It usually ends in a discussion about road tax.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Sorry to deviate from the traveller bashing :rolleyes:.... but is there still no system in place to allow Irish people living abroad to vote? I wanna help get rid of FF :mad:

There was a recent thread on this...thinks it's only possible For members of the defence forces/garda etc who will be abroad at the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭UpTheSlashers

I think theres some sort of "proxy vote" system in place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

[ignores usual anti-Traveller crapology]

Very few Travellers these days are truly nomadic. Most will have halting site addresses even if they do travel for some of the year or will have a family member living permanently on a halting site or in a house. In the latter situation, they are no different to the many country people who study/work/live for most of the year in the city but come 'home' at the weekends/summer holidays/to vote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

So, how do they tax their commercial vehicles? Are they all registered as businesses? If they are how come 65% of them are registered unemployed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭upmeath

Very few Travellers these days are truly nomadic. Most will have halting site addresses

True, any of the gated halt sites you see in big towns these days are postal addresses. They're almost invariably called "St. (Insert much-revered saint's name here)'s Park" and each family resides at Bay X.
    If you read the court summons* in provincial newspapers, there beside your neighbour who got done for speeding, public disorder or illegal dumping you'll find A.N. Other of Bay 7, St. James' Park, Newcastle upon Tyne.

* = Disclaimer: I'm using this example simply as a means of demonstrating a traveller's address. Some on the PC brigade will tell me I'm drawing a stereotype of criminality into it, I'm not - I mentioned your speeding neighbour too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭c0rk3r

Theres no such thing as Road Tax in Ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Tonyandthewhale

Yup, tis motor tax isn't it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

c0rk3r wrote: »
    Theres no such thing as Road Tax in Ireland

Thanks.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,129 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Yup, tis motor tax isn't it?

Yes, so's they don't have to waste it on insignificant things like roads.:(

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

If you were a registered sex-offender you can put your address down as No fixed abode. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭iPlop

Mickey: The deal was you bought it like you saw it. Hey, look, I've helped you as much as I'm going to help you. See that car? Just use it for you're not welcome anymore. You should fcuk off now while you still got the legs to carry ya.

Tommy: Sorry, Mickey. Just give our money back and you can keep the caravan.

Mickey: Why the fcuk do I want a caravan that's got no fcuking wheels?

Twas a great movie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Gordon Gecko

upmeath wrote: »
    True, any of the gated halt sites you see in big towns these days are postal addresses. They're almost invariably called "St. (Insert much-revered saint's name here)'s Park" and each family resides at Bay X.
    If you read the court summons* in provincial newspapers, there beside your neighbour who got done for speeding, public disorder or illegal dumping you'll find A.N. Other of Bay 7, St. James' Park, Newcastle upon Tyne.

* = Disclaimer: I'm using this example simply as a means of demonstrating a traveller's address. Some on the PC brigade will tell me I'm drawing a stereotype of criminality into it, I'm not - I mentioned your speeding neighbour too.

I think it's disgraceful that you've immediately reverted to the stereotype of criminality! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

They don't need a motor tax disk

A Padre Pio sticker is the tax disk of choice for any good traveller

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭Badgermonkey

[ignores usual anti-Traveller crapology]

Had many up close encounters?

It ain't fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

The old gray mare just ain't what she used to be.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

You innocent innocent poor soul.

Innocent till the pikeys come at night and nick his lawnmower.. :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭knird evol

Fully controversial insurance boss

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭Nephew

So, how do they tax their commercial vehicles? Are they all registered as businesses? If they are how come 65% of them are registered unemployed?

Because 65% of them are mammies and babbees, boss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Jobs? Really?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭jimthemental

upmeath wrote: »
    If you read the court summons* in provincial newspapers, there beside your neighbour who got done for speeding, public disorder or illegal dumping you'll find A.N. Other of Bay 7, St. James' Park, Newcastlewest, Co. Limerick

[

Fixed that for you there.

Had many up close encounters?

It ain't fun.

I've had plenty. I've had Traveller colleagues. They're no different to any of my other colleagues. I've also had bad experiences in life, but they were mostly caused by run of the mill scobes, not Travellers. Caught a Traveller dumping on our land once, that's the extent of my bad experiences with Travellers.

I'm sure every bad experience you've had in life wasn't caused by Travellers.

orourkeda wrote: »
    Jobs? Really?
    Really.

Advertisement