Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I was asked for my student card today..

• 27-01-2011 5:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Yes, I was visiting a cinema at Dundrum and upon regging ya wan behind the counter went through my details and landed me with this bomb of
    "Have you got a student card".

I just went 'wtf' in my head and after an awkward slience said 'err no student card'. Then she just wobbled her head and promptly kept typing into her pc.

Now, what frigging relevance is me being a student in order to get treatment in a cinema?Thought Ireland was in the 21st century and why would a cinema care about my educational beliefs?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Student discount.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭gravityisalie

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Yes, I was visiting a cinema at Dundrum and upon regging ya wan behind the counter went through my details and landed me with this bomb of

I just went 'wtf' in my head and after an awkward slience said 'err no student card'. Then she just wobbled her head and promptly kept typing into her pc.

Now, what frigging relevance is me being a student in order to get treatment in a cinema?Thought Ireland was in the 21st century and why would a cinema care about my educational beliefs?

student discount perhaps?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

That is quite a bomb-shell. I don't know how you're going to deal with a devestating question like that. It must be very tough on you.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Maybe you could avail of a student discount if you have a student card?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 211 ✭✭cackhanded

What the hell were you doing "regging" in a cinema, and what kind of treatment were you getting?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭mr kr0nik

Back into the library you slacker...

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Baggie

It was probably the Jade Winters cinema in Galway!:)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

why would a cinema care about my educational beliefs?

Educational beliefs...? You must be an educational atheist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

Mind the step, OP :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

what interest rate did you get on the mortgage you took out to visit the cinema in dundrum

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Dunjohn

Did she ask you what religion you were? Incase you died and needed a transfusion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Uncle Mclovin

Excuse my ignorance but what those this word "regging" mean?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

It involves saying the word "like" a lot when you're speaking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Presume it refers to registering for a monthly/yearly cinema pass. The sort of lazy nonsense that would have been taken out of the OP had she/he been a student.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

That seems to be the main question in this thread...the only information we have so far is that it's something 'Wans' do.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

landed me with this bomb of

If being asked for astudent card to avail of a discount qualifies as a "bomb" in your book you're gonna have some fun when you start living in the real world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Does a student card even show your educational beliefs?

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

Haha, stinger of a thread!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭flyton5

She obviously just wanted to find out your name so she could have sex with you. Youthful looking bastard.

Would you fall to pieces and revert to the foetal position if you were ID'd in a club or pub?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

She was obviously worried after the student protests in the UK that you might turn violent when she told you the prices, especially the price for popcorn. Incedentially this is why a lot of places have student discounts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Perhaps a man going to see Black Swan on his own was either

a) a student with an interest in the academic artistry of the film
    or
    b) an unemployed pervert looking to have a quiet fap to the famous lezzer scene.

So was the scene that good?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭upmeath

So much wrong with this OP...
    Yes, I was visiting a cinema at Dundrum (One of many cinemas at Dundrum?)
    and upon regging ya wan (I can't wait to go reg me a wan one of these days)
    behind the counter went through my details and landed me with this bomb of "Have you got a student card".(Is that a bomb, or a question necessitating the use of a question mark?)

I just went 'wtf' in my head and after an awkward slience said 'err no student card'. Then she just wobbled her head (Like a bobble-head?)and promptly kept typing into her pc.

Now, what frigging relevance is me being a student in order to get treatment (Depends, were you after the student treatment or the colonoscopy?) in a cinema?[SPACE]
    Thought Ireland was in the 21st century and why would a cinema care about my educational beliefs?(This just makes it for me)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

I'd say they couldn't believe you availed of an education.

How people have quickly forgotten the hospital thread this is a ripoff of :eek:

I think I've cracked the OP's username...
    "Oranage2" is either a misspelling of "Orange2" or my personal favourite, "Oran, Age 2".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

bluewolf wrote: »

lol, yeah. damn it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Well that was fun while it lasted

Not familiar with the original material. Link please?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

This is hilarious that somebody doesn't know why they'd be asked for their student card.

I know people in their 30s still using their student card (s) and getting discounts off everything from cinema tickets to GAA tickets. It's an entire subcultural frame of mind where a day when the student card is not used for a discount is a day wasted.

upmeath wrote: »
    Not familiar with the original material. Link please?

i havent a clue and im too lazy

edit: actually, that was easy
    here

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056074758

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Seriously OP, what the fúck do you think she was asking you for? How you didn't cop it throughout the 2 hours sitting in the movie theatre and the bus journey home, walking up the stairs, having a **** or the time it took you to post this stupid fúcking thread is beyond me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

This explains why multinationals are complaining about the quality of Irish third level education. A very early candidate for Thread of the Year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Topper Harley

Seriously OP, what the fúck do you think she was asking you for? How you didn't cop it throughout the 2 hours sitting in the movie theatre and the bus journey home, walking up the stairs, having a **** or the time it took you to post this stupid fúcking thread is beyond me.
    Confab wrote: »
    This explains why multinationals are complaining about the quality of Irish third level education.

Follow Bluewolf's link below (or above). When I read the OP initially, I just went 'wtf' in my head and after an awkward silence, followed the link and it cleared it all up for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭karlog

Yup student discount. Er wait no, she was disappointed by the fact you weren't a student actually. I'm surprised she even gave you a ticket i would of told you to **** off.

• Advertisement

Degsy wrote: »
    If being asked for astudent card to avail of a discount qualifies as a "bomb" in your book you're gonna have some fun when you start living in the real world.

Excuse you! I do live in the 'real world'! I've been working for the past 8 months in my Dad's company and I also help run errand for my mother like picking up the groceries and brushing her hair!

So don't you go on about the real world to me, pal!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Gordon Gecko

Hold on you get discounts on things for having a student card? WTF? I always thought they were for snorting coke in the Arts block jacks. You learn something new every day i suppose - unless you're in arts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056074758

Ah yes, very good OP. Well played. That was a very... wait, 29-10-10? That thread is from 3 months ago? We Internet people can barely remember stuff from 3 weeks ago what with our short attention spans and lack of, the, em, what were we talking about again? Oh yeah, X Factor. Can you believe they let Sonia through and sent JimBob home?! Disgraceful!! How is this show still on the air? I spent almost all of my €30 credit on voting for JimBoy. That'll show Simon, ha!

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭spartan1

Yes, I was visiting an opticians in dalkey and upon regging ya wan behind the counter went through my details and landed me with this bomb of "do you have a drivers license".

I just went 'wtf' in my head and after an awkward slience said 'err ya'. Then she just wobbled her head and promptly kept typing into her pc.

Now, what frigging relevance is me being a driver or not in order to get treatment in an opticians ?
    Thought Ireland was in the 21st century and why would a cinema care about my transportational beliefs?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

In before "dem nasty auld Catherlicks" :pac:

Ah... I loved that thread. Well worth the 3 day ban I got for it :D

Advertisement