Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Blackpool Fined £25,000 For Fielding A Weakened Team

• 27-01-2011 6:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭

Absolutely ridiculous IMO. The FA brought in a 25 man squad rule and Hollaway picked his team against Villa from that 25 man squad. The decision makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,328 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Didn't Holloway say he would offer his resignation if this happened :D

I am looking forward to his reactions to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,281 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Wenger dropped 8 players against Wigan at Christmas. They have to fine him now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Heh, bye bye Ollie. Love seeing a bullsh*tter getting caught out by his own bulsh*t.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Stupid decision.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭bamboozling

flahavaj wrote: »
    Heh, bye bye Ollie. Love seeing a bullsh*tter getting caught out by his own bulsh*t.

What's the irrational hatred of Holloway?

I've come across anti Holloway sentiments in your posts every time he comes up.

I would have thought he'd have gone up in your estimation after Tuesday night.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

He's boring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

IMO the whole FA is corrput as F**k

can't complain against bull$hit referee decisions

can't field a weak team... wtf

since when does the FA decide what team a manager selects

cant say anything against the ba$tards without getting some sideline ban and a £300,000 pound fine.

joke

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

flahavaj wrote: »
    He's boring.
    Hes anything but. Rather him to the likes of Wenger and Ferguson.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

What rubbish, i thought this was over because Holloway never actually said he fielded a weakened team? :confused:
    AgileMyth wrote: »
    Hes anything but. Rather him to the likes of Wenger and Ferguson.

Fact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Did he admit fielding a weakened side?
    Surely you just say you picked the team you thought best suited to beat your opponents.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Joke!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

He said he would resign

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Hope he goes, can't stand the bloke now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,622 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Anyone who gos as extreme and vocally harsh in their opinions as him is always going to become a love-hate character.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

I disagree with the decision but will Holloway be true to his word regarding his resignation if this happened?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,024 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Ian Holloway is the best thing since Jose Mourinho in the Premier League as far as interviews are concerned. I love the way the guy goes about it. He does rant from time to time and then other times he just gives us all a good laugh with some outlandish analogies.

I think he would be very foolish to resign over this but if he does I'll respect the man for standing by his word.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Stupid decision.

Holloway will offer his resignation, his chairman will not accept it, Holloway will have another rant and so will a few other managers, journos get some nice quotes.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Rediculous **** by F.A as per usual.

The manager should be able to throw out any starting 11 he wants once they are registered in the 25 man squad.

edit; Sorry, not F.A who fined him.

Blackpool actually played quite well in the game. They lost 3-2 but were beaten by a last minute winner if i remember correctly?

Surely these kinds of rulings should be stopped? Wouldnt there be a universal agreement on this topic?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

It was the Premier League that did the fining. Not the FA.

But yes, ridiculous decision. Will be interesting to see what Holloway does next. I'd be suprised if he quit.

• Advertisement

That_Guy wrote: »
    I disagree with the decision but will Holloway be true to his word regarding his resignation if this happened?

As said before i'd say he would be "persuaded to stay" by his chairman....

Blackpool actually played quite well in the game. They lost 3-2 but were beaten by a last minute winner if i remember correctly?

Surely these kinds of rulings should be stopped? Wouldnt there be a universal agreement on this topic?

They should be stopped, but i don't know who has the power to stop them, i doubt the LMA would.

As has been said numerous times, what is the point in naming a 25 man squad? obviously it is just to exclude players that are not named in it with the Wolves fine and now this one.

Would they still have been fined if they had have won or drawn the game in question? they did only lose it to a very late goal if i remember correctly.

It seems the fine only comes if you field a weakened team and lose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 882 ✭✭✭darragh16

Its f*ckin stupid. The League shouldn't be able to dictate who a manager picks. Its his squad, his players, his tactics etc. If he feels then this is the best option for the team so be it.

Man United were threatened with the same punishment a few years ago against Hull, turned out that the weakened team still beat them!

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Muff_Daddy

This is actually a disgrace. I mean, who are the FA to decide which Blackpool players are 'weaker' than others? It's Holloways decision, and Hollowys alone, the FA shouldn't be interfering in his job.

On the bright side, I stuck a fiver on him at 25/1 last week to be the next EPL manager to lose his job so.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,153 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Apparantly Phillips who played was not part of the 25 man listed squad (second hand info, so not 100% sure on it). He's only 19 though, so should make no difference.

Regardless, still a retarded decision. He's the manager, he can put out whatever team he wants. If they want to accuse him of match fixing then they should just do it. Either he's allowed to put out a team of his choosing or he's not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

Why bother with the 25 man squads if you can only play a certain combination of it?

I heard Holloway talk once about "owning his words" I was impressed with the sentiment, but I don't see him carrying it out here.
    ~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Apparantly Phillips who played was not part of the 25 man listed squad (second hand info, so not 100% sure on it). He's only 19 though, so should make no difference.

then he doesn't need to be registered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,153 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

smokedeels wrote: »
    Why bother with the 25 man squads if you can only play a certain combination of it?

I heard Holloway talk once about "owning his words" I was impressed with the sentiment, but I don't see him carrying it out here.

then he doesn't need to be registered.

yup, hence why i said i shouldn't make a difference since he's 19. Was just pointing out that he wasn't part of the 25 man squad, as a lot of people are saying all players were listed as being part of the 25.

As I said, completely retarded decision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Joke of a decision!!! Holloway can pick whatever team he wants. He's the manager whose job is to have the best interests of the club at heart.

These pr!cks in charge wouldn't have the balls to tell Ferguson, Wenger or Dalglish what team they should pick, yet they have no problem fining Wolves and Blackpool.

Bunch of charlatans!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭tim_holsters

Absolute Bollux!

Blackpool should threaten to boycott every game until this fine is rescinded.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

He'll offer his resignation, but the chairman will turn it down thus saving face.

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

Absolute Bollux!

Blackpool should threaten to boycott every game until this fine is rescinded.

Well, they shouldn't really. That would just relegate them.

Blackpool are better than those suits. Just continue to play their football and hopefully they will stay up and the 40 odd million they will get from retaining their premier league status will dwarf that joke of a fine.

Holloway's job will be done!! :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Shocking decision, and it really does make naming a 25 man squad an absolutely ridiculous rule if The FA are allowed to dictate selections.

However, as for this:

.....Holloway won't resign as they were empty words of his. He'll come out saying something like ''I won't let them (The FA) get to me'', or ''I offered my resignation but the chairman rejected it'', etc after practicing what he's going to say in front of his mirror the night before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

Xavi6 wrote: »

I like Holloway but his comments at Houllier over their bid for Adam and then L'poo go andl do the same and he hasn't a bad word to say to them or Daglish. If anything he has brought this all on himself IMO. He is feeding the press with details about bids, clubs, who said what and how much. They don't do their business through the press so learn to keep quiet and say nothing. Let the press write the rubbish and speculate away.

In regards the FA fine, its absolutley crazy and 100% wrong. Who are FA to say who he can and can't pick in his starting 11. On what basis are they making their judgements that he fielded a weakened team? Each PL club has to submit a squad before the season starts. If they're not happy with that then they shouldn't accept the bloody list. Each club has their own budget to work with. Not every club can go out and spend millions like the top six clubs. Whats the point in a 25 man squad? A club or chairman needs to grow a pair and challenge the FA on their rules with stupid fines like this.

He'll offer his resignation, but the chairman will turn it down thus saving face.

For me, Holloway has nothing to prove. I know what he said, but he was p!ssed off! I don't think he loses face here at all. We all say things when we're livid.

He hasn't got the protection the likes of Ferguson has. They wouldn't dare fine Man U for this kind of thing. It's one rule for the big clubs, another for the smaller ones. Simple as that!

The Premier League busy bodies haven't a f*cking testicle to spare between them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭tim_holsters

monkey9 wrote: »
    Well, they shouldn't really. That would just relegate them.

Blackpool are better than those suits. Just continue to play their football and hopefully they will stay up and the 40 odd million they will get from retaining their premier league status will dwarf that joke of a fine.

Holloway's job will be done!! :cool:

Yes I know but still.

Blackpool have been brilliant this season as they were in the Championship last season.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Scandalous decision from the FA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

Dempsey wrote: »
    Scandalous decision from the FA
    So scandalous they didn't even take it...

If people could please stop blaming the FA for this, it'd be great.

Also, nothing in the 25-man squad rule suggests that those 25 are of equal ability.

Campaign for the removal/amendment of the 'must play strongest team' rule if you want but the 25-man rule doesn't suddenly make throwing games* impossible.

* and by that I mean distorting the fairness of the competition for profit or for your own club's long-term good or anything else

yahoo_moe wrote: »
    So scandalous they didn't even take it...

If people could please stop blaming the FA for this, it'd be great.

Oops I wrote FA instead of the PL. Sue me!

It be great if you werent so anal about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

He actually qualified his statement at the time, saying that he would offer his resignation but it was up to the chairman to make the decision to accept it or not in keeping with the best interests of the club.

I fully expect him to make good on his word.

As for the Holloway hatred here, I'm amazed. He's the best character in the Premiership, he speaks his mind and I for one share a lot of his views and am glad someone has the guts to stand up and call the FA/Prem League/Uefa/Fifa out like he has in the past. Not to mention he's worked wonders with Blackpool while playing relatively attractive football. I for one would prefer to go watch Blackpool than the Man City Millionaires any day of the week.

And for comparing self indulged premiership players to chocolate bars that lick themselves he deserves my respect & admiration. Absolute legend.

Dempsey wrote: »
    Oops I wrote FA instead of the PL. Sue me!

It be great if you werent so anal about it.
    You don't think who took the decision is important? Fair enough.

And while I quoted you, it was clearly directed at more than you. Many people have blamed the FA in the thread when it's nothing to do with them. I think if you're going to blame someone, you should be right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Xavi6 wrote: »

Why what did he do to you?

I don't get this kind of anti-Holloway sentiment, he's a character who is good for a laugh and has proven himself a very capable manager to boot, so there's substance behind the joking around.

You're probably just feeling foolish for the way you slagged off Blackpool at the start of the season and dismissed them as absolute no-hopers.

yahoo_moe wrote: »
    You don't think who took the decision is important? Fair enough.

And while I quoted you, it was clearly directed at more than you. Many people have blamed the FA in the thread when it's nothing to do with them. I think if you're going to blame someone, you should be right.

As said, it was a typo. I knew it was the PL but wrote FA for some reason. I suppose I was distracted when typing the post.

Tell me, what difference does it make who took the decision? You're being pedantic for the +1

The only thing that matters is the powers that be in the English Game have singled out Wolves and Blackpool whilst letting the big fish do similar for years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Disagree with the decision but overall i dont really care tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

Can't see Wenger getting fined. Ridiculous decision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Disgraceful and farcical decision. Surely if they fine Blackpool then they must fine Arsenal too. United have been fielding weakened sides for years in both cup and league - most notably in a weekend league game where they have an important European tie the following Tuesday/Wednesday.

Another example of how pathetic an association the FA are. One rule for the little clubs and another for the super powers :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭dannydiamond

Lads, someones clearly have a laugh with the fine, 25k is peanuts to a prem club.
    I wouldn't be at all surprised if this is just someone taking the piss to see if Holloway will be good to his word.
    No doubt he'll either laugh it off or 'resign' only for his resignation to be declined for the club, it'll all carry on as normal.

I Love Holloway and I look forward to his reaction tomorrow, should make for great entertainment!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Rumors going around that Manchester United have been fined £50,000 for starting Darron Gibson against Blackpool.

Vanbis wrote: »
    I like Holloway but his comments at Houllier over their bid for Adam and then L'poo go andl do the same and he hasn't a bad word to say to them or Daglish. If anything he has brought this all on himself IMO. He is feeding the press with details about bids, clubs, who said what and how much. They don't do their business through the press so learn to keep quiet and say nothing. Let the press write the rubbish and speculate away.

In fairness to him he did hit out at Liverpool and Dalglish, I can't find the video I saw where he said something along the lines that Kenny was still using old money like the last time he was a manager. The video below has him hitting out at Liverpool.

In fairness to him again, as regards feeding the press, he is an honest man and seems to answer most questions thrown at him where others would decline to comment. It is more a case of others leaking the transfer stories and and he answers what they have to ask about it. He says himself the press knew about Adam's transfer request 10 minutes after Adam handed in his request.

• Advertisement
Advertisement