Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running in Circles

Options
  • 27-01-2011 6:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭

I used to have a log but it fell by the way side some time ago but I feel its time for a new one.

I love running, love the feeling of being alive, body moving yada yada yada - especially on the beach in the rain BUT I am not necessarily very good at it. At the moment I am trying to build a base, get my legs a little stronger etc. I am not to worried about times (yet) cause I figure that it will come with time and once I do get to a nice solid weekly millage I can worry about targetting times, figuring out how to make speed sessions etc work for me and all that jazz.

At the moment I am finding anything up to 5 - 6km not a bother, but once I break that barrier (or attempt to) everything goes out the window so if any of you running sages are reading this I'd love feedback or suggestions.

My aims for the first half of this year are to focus on race distances up to 10km. I am signed up (or will be after payday) to the anne valley 5 mile in Feb but I am largely doing it for charity and for the experience because I've never run a 5mile race before.

In the second half of this year I am not sure - part of me would love to run dublin city marathon but I am not committing myself yet, I'd rather build up slowly so would be happy enough to aim for a half marathon I think.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭spaceylou

Monday:

no running but did walk over 10km in a 5km and 5.5km division.
    also cycled c. 10km

Tuesday:

nada :(

Wednesday:

8.5km run - aim was 10k. I started too fast, I knew I was going kinda fast (for me) given that this was my long run for the week but I found it really hard to slow down - then I decided that it would be a good idea to run up foster avenue and mt anville road - the hill killed me somewhat so when it came to figuring out how to add another 1.5km to run or just hitting the shower - I made a bee line for the shower!

Today:

nothing yet but easy 3km planned and some pilates....will update after I get my ass in gear and go do it! I was lazy!

Fri:

early morning 3km to get the blood running etc.... Once again - too fast to begin for what was meant to be nice easy recovery type run!

Sat:

5km @ avg 5:46 - felt good. Probably couldn't have done much further (maybe a km) at that pace but at the same time wasn't dead at end either. Bitterly cold though - find my hands take forever to heat up compared to the rest of me, even with gloves on!

Splits: 5:40; 5:45; 5:49; 5:45; 5:53

No running tomorrow, maybe swim if I get up in time but given my lack of swimming skill its hard to know if that can really be counted towards exercise.

Monday - c 10k cycling (mode of transport as opposed to serious cycling)

Tuesday - Resistence Training - sorer than I thought it would be and c4km cycle

Wednesday - c 14km cycle

Thursday - c 2km cycle

Friday - c 2km cycle and oh yeah Running - the one thing log is meant to be about.

5.04km @ avg 6:06min/km - not the best time in the world but happy enough considering that no matter what way I went the wind was either in my face or trying to slam me sideways! Still nothing like running on beach with tide out, wind howling and lights twinkling along the shore! :D

Plan to do longer run on Sunday...

Set out for run this afternoon, no major plan other than a minimum of 5k, go via the beach so the loop can be amended from a bare 5k up to almost 10k...so was going along grand, enjoying myself, steady pace when this bloody dog decided to jump on me!!

I had seen him, gave him and his owners a wide berth but he obviously decided he wanted to join me and because his owner was spinning the lead around in his hand rather than attaching it to the dog there was no stopping the bloody beast!!

Needless to say being rugby tackled by large beast like dog kinda threw me, and when I suggested to the owners that dogs were meant to be on leads they kinda looked at me as if I were crazy!!

Anyway, pace for next k or so suffered due to stupid tears, in the end did 6.15km at avg pace of 6.07min/km

Wednesday night went out for a easy run, not well timed but did about 3.5k in just over 18mins - was about getting a run in before today rather than anything else, but after the dog incidence it was very enjoyable and dog free!

Today - Anne Valley 5mile Run

Very happy with the run today. At the start was wee bit freaked bout prospect of hills so tried to take it handy at start but still went out faster than normal because of the atmosphere, and also haven't run much all week - I guess this is why tapering is important. First mile was grand, second fairly okay too, turned corner in annestown at start of mile 3 and it was more downhill than previously so kinda gave a little kick there but still tried to save myself for hill out of annestown. The hill in the end wasn't that bad - or at least that part but the fourth mile was a long slog cause it was much more a subtle incline rather than an in your face hill and it got me, that was the only time I slipped below 6min/km but then the last 700m or so is all downhill so kicked again and finished strong. Offical time yet to be recorded but according to the garmin I did it in under 44:30 at avg pace 5:26min/km so pretty god darn happy!

Have promised a friend that I will run the 6mile in Limerick at start of May with her but would like to get another race in around the 10k mark between now and then.

• Advertisement

...was due to total and utter laziness....rest day monday turned into rest day tuesday turned into rest week!! Tut tut tut!! The thing was, I was looking at other runners, jealous! I just never quite managed to find the time and the motivation at the same time in order to put on my gear and head out the door :(

So 4 weeks until the 5k race Paddy's weekend in Dublin.

After unplanned nap this evening headed out to do easy(ish) 5km - and I did. Nice enough evening for run, although the liffey is a bit stinky!!

Totals
    Today: 5.06km at avg pace 5:51min/km
    This Week: 5.06 - sure tis only monday!
    This year: 64.7km

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭LaHaine

spaceylou wrote: »
    So 4 weeks until the 5k race Paddy's weekend in Dublin.

After unplanned nap this evening headed out to do easy(ish) 5km - and I did. Nice enough evening for run, although the liffey is a bit stinky!!

Totals
    Today: 5.06km at avg pace 5:51min/km
    This Week: 5.06 - sure tis only monday!
    This year: 64.7km

-Sounds exactly like my run. I wonder did you pass me haha. Fair play.

I'm planning on doing the 5k race Paddys weekend too. Ive done it a couple of times before and its always a good laugh. You should sign up for the Great Ireland run in April. Plenty of people complain about the numbers running etc but its great craic. :)

Thanks LaHaine

I know I went running after that last week but never recorded it here and am too lazy to look at the spreadsheet where I record all my splits etc.

Run today was grand until my stomach realised it still had food in it and I nearly threw up! Note to self: banana an hour before run - okay, banana sandwich an hour before run not okay!

Still, did just over 6.5km in 40 mins even with the stopping to control the urge to vomit and I learned something :D

Advertisement