Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To build something like Twitter

Options
  • 27-01-2011 6:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭

Hey,
    Apologies for the vague question, but I have an idea for a site/service which in many ways would be similar to Twitter. I'm wondering in a very loose manner of speaking how big an undertaking it would be to build something like Twitter?! Are we talking about hundreds of hours of work, or thousands?!

Many thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

You could use StatusNet which is a open source micro-blogging platform. They have a hosted version where you pretty much ready to rock-and-roll and a down-loadable version that you can customize and put online yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 fenderlvr

Twitter is actually really simple to code. Not a huge undertaking until you get the amount of users that Twitter has. Then you'll have huge infrastructure challenges.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

I don't think it's the code that is the problem. The problem lies in making it scalable if you were to grow as big as twitter.

Edit: Okay i'm re iterating what already said!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

fenderlvr wrote: »
    Twitter is actually really simple to code. Not a huge undertaking until you get the amount of users that Twitter has. Then you'll have huge infrastructure challenges.

Isn't this a problem you want to have?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Cianos wrote: »

Only if you can solve it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

Giblet wrote: »
    Only if you can solve it.
    how does one solve it, out of curiosity? is there some light reading i can do on the subject? i can visualize how to replicate twitter pretty much, using php/mysql db, but when do things start becoming a problem and how would i go about improving load capabilities?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Adam wrote: »
    how does one solve it, out of curiosity? is there some light reading i can do on the subject? i can visualize how to replicate twitter pretty much, using php/mysql db, but when do things start becoming a problem and how would i go about improving load capabilities?

Writing scalable software, having the correct hardware, not overdoing it by throwing hardware at a software problem. There are loads of ways to combat it. Twitter had its share of problems at the start, and unfortunately, throwing money at the problem wasn't the solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭bobbytables

Cianos wrote: »
    It is only if there is a positive and strong correlation between scale and profitability. E.g. I could put together a service online in the morning that may be of use to lots of people. Lets say I get the traffic and I need to expand my infrastructure to support this, what incentive do I have to pay for that expansion?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Overflow

Consider designing the app for cloud based hosting services, that way you can start small and scale as demand increases.

Advertisement