Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who is waiting for a 457?

Options
  • 27-01-2011 7:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭

Good news
    To help with the demand for labour during reconstruction, Ms Gillard said the government would fast-track approval for temporary 457 visas to import skilled workers. There would also be relocation assistance for 4000 unemployed people moving to areas where workers were needed.

http://www.smh.com.au/national/threat-of-more-cuts-in-pipeline-20110127-1a6x8.html

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Ozeire

The government has announced fast-track processing of 457 visa applications specifically for reconstruction jobs in flood-affected areas, providing quick access to skilled overseas labour where local supply is insufficient.

The subclass 457 visa provides a fast and flexible route for the entry of skilled workers to Australia. Under the program, a wide variety of skilled construction and engineering occupations are available for sponsorship, and employers can sponsor skilled workers for up to four years with no limit on the number of workers they sponsor.

The government is offering personalised assistance with visa applications to employers involved in reconstruction work so that they provide assistance to the reconstruction effort.

The 457 program is available to businesses of any size – in fact, the vast majority of sponsors approved for the 457 program are small to medium enterprises.

more at http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/flood-reconstruction.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭sonic.trip

can you apply for a 457 yourself or do you have to be sponsored by a company?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,354 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

While i'm link to construction, I know that I'm not going to do any of it in Qld,
    THe above can't hurt me, but might not benefit

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

sonic.trip wrote: »
    can you apply for a 457 yourself or do you have to be sponsored by a company?

Sponsored by an employer

It seems if your employer is involved in the rebuild then you are going be fast tracked probably at the expense of normal 457 applications, if your employer is nothing to do with QLD rebuild then its probably tough luck.

What happens when the work is done? Visa's revoked maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,354 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Revoked, hardly.
    It'll take longer than 4 years to sort it out :D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

I've been waiting nearly 12 weeks on mine at this stage :mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

at this stage it might not be a bad Idea for anyone who was plannin on doing their 88 Days in Construction to see about gettin work in one of the affected areas ( but check that it qualifies as there are only certain postcodes around Brisbane, then once you have a start the 457 should be a piece of Piss to get

Advertisement