Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kitchen Islands!

• 27-01-2011 7:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭

Can anybody tell me why the hell they are so expensive??? :mad: I'm looking into getting one for the kitchen but so far have been quoted anywhere from 3,000 to 6,000 euro for one. I’m not looking for anything overly elaborate. Nothing with a cooker or basin or any other appliances attached. just an island that has a seating area on one end and looks well.

I’m contemplating building one myself at this stage.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

memomy wrote: »
    Can anybody tell me why the hell they are so expensive??? :mad: I'm looking into getting one for the kitchen but so far have been quoted anywhere from 3,000 to 6,000 euro for one. I’m not looking for anything overly elaborate. Nothing with a cooker or basin or any other appliances attached. just an island that has a seating area on one end and looks well.

I’m contemplating building one myself at this stage.

There's your answer, people are usually willing to pay over the odds for something that looks good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,091 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

My kitchen includes an island which has six drawers, a cupboard, hob and generous seating for four.

The kitchen place I used provided the cabinetry and three chrome legs for the overhang and I crafted the top of the island by joining three sections of maple worktop to form one large sheet, which partially sits on the cabinet part with the other part supported by the three legs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Depending on the size you need it can be done quite simple. I saw one that the base was made from an off the shelf kitchen press carcas, with doors & matching sides / back panel added. Then topped with a piece of marble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 132 ✭✭woody_2000

I'm not sure if this might be of any use to you, but maybe IKEA might have something you could improvise with.

They have kitchen island units and free standing kitchen units that you might be able to use as a basis work with - depending on your requirements...

I have done bespoke kitchen island units in the past (including one with a seating area) but it has been over 10 years since I have done one - but I would imagine around €2,000, or less, should be enough for something fairly good...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,384 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

I'm not justifying the price, but they can have more doors/pressses and they have sealed edges on all 4 sides.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Lochlannach

We're doing our kitchen up at the moment and putting in an island...

It consists of two standard 450mm base cupboards screwed together + one slim 400mm base unit at the back (mainly for support in case someone leans down on the back overhang) + gable boards at the back and sides all of which form a "L" shape. This is then topped with a counter which overhangs one end by 300mm and, overhangs part of the back due to the extra 400mm unit at the back.

This has resulted in a "L" shaped seating area with an overall island size of approximately 1250mm by 900mm.

Given the cost of these standard components from any of the major kitchen suppliers I can't see how this could cost all that much - our entire kitchen is under some of the quotes being received by the OP from what I see here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

Am similarly amazed at the cost of Islands, we are thinking of going with this crowd in the UK (http://www.exmoorfurniture.co.uk/InfrastructureIslands.html)

They did our kitchen table for us and were delighted with it and it was still way cheaper than a comparable product here even with shipping included (which they arranged)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,091 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

My mostly DIY effort:

Island2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭gorwanvfr

Different idea for an Island

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭karltimber

Have a look at the panelling centre - http://www.panellingcentre.ie/home.php

a lot of links broken but worth a ring.
    An island without any bells and whistles is just kitchen units - sometimes back to back with a gable end timber so the joins won't show.

The Panelling C will do flat pack units and end pieces if needed.
    not sure what type of counter top you want or need - but even a wooden counter can be biscuit jointed if needed. No-where near the money you were quoted.

other places like Noyeks do units too.

K

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 zebrano.96

previous poster was right . islands have to be finished on 4 sides, usually to higher spec turned posts end panels ect.some curved islands to see at johwoodcraft.com and excellent value.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 486 ✭✭curiousb

I'd second the suggestion of looking at an Ikea Unit. they make a few different sizes/layouts and you can customise to make it fit.

We did this with a small island unit of theirs last month.

We went from this:

ikea.png
    to this:
    island.jpg

We replaced the worktop and the handles, cladded the sides and back and painted blue and also put it on wheels so we can pop it out of the way when not needed.

Not to everyones taste, I'm sure :) but it fits in great with our kitchen, which it didn't when we got it first.

Here's the IKEA link for the unit. The total cost was probably about €400.

Advertisement