Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guinea Pigs - need Cubes and Coroplast to build cages.

• 27-01-2011 8:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi,
    I was wondering if anyone could help. We are new to owning Guinea pigs, we've two that are 4 months and one month old (mum was pregnant when we bought her, :eek:).
    I've seem loads of tutorials on youtube and would very much like to build my own cage from wire cubes and coroplast. Coroplast is basically 'For Sale' sign type plastic, which should be easy enough to source, but wire cubes are proving a right pain to find.
    They have these cubes in B&Q in the UK, but apparently they're discontinuing them, and they aren't available to buy online throught B&Q to the UK, anyway. Here's the cubes..
    http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.jsp?action=detail&fh_secondid=10687690&fh_view_size=10&fh_location=%2f%2fcatalog01%2fen_GB&fh_search=cube&fh_eds=%c3%9f&fh_refview=search&isSearch=true
    Does anyone have any ideas where these can be bought? I've searched on line, no luck with ebay/ebid/argos - apparently woodies had them some time ago, but not now.
    The cubes seemed to be use for storage/display mostly, but are ideal for housing guineas.
    Anyway, any help on cubes or coroplast, or both would be greatly appreciated :D
    Thanks!
    Pam.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Fitzg

Hi Pam,
    aw congratulations on your new baby guinea pig family!!
    I dont know if you're based in Dublin but I got cubes in the Camden Casket on Camden St, they were sold as a storage thingee and were E15, I was able to build a lovely big house for my two guinea pigs - I didn't use coroplast as a base - instead I put down lino and covered it with sawdust.
    The guineas love their home!

ps - just wanted to add that the Camden Casket is a kind of sells everything, cheap shop - kind of like the two euro shop but with more range!
    so if you're not in dublin maybe a similar kind of shop in your area might have the cubes. byw - have you tried Ikea?
    they seem to have everything...
    best,
    Emma

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Friend of mine who used to keep guinea pigs saw something in Dunnes recently! She says it looks similar to C&C cages but the grids have like a frosted type material on it. Homevalue Hardware are still selling the grids.

Had you any luck sourcing the coroplast? I'd love some for my rats to build a play area for them! Lots of ratty folk in the UK use it - I think they get it on ebay. Over in the UK they call it correx. I think coroplast is the American name for it. So maybe do a web search for correx?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 LissyMissy

I just build a new cage myself last weekend. I used MDF plates and rabbit wire. Was easy enough to build and B&Q cut the timber for you.
    Here is a pic of the cage...

wow lilmissy, you're set-up deserves extreme respect!! hi five from me and the guineas!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 LissyMissy

:D thanks!
    If you want intructions I could send you a PM. I built the cage for 5 pigs but you are well able to reduce the size based on the number of your pigs. You get a big timber sheet for ~25€ in B&Q and free cuts. It shouldn't be too expensive and you have lots of fun building it!

Advertisement