Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Morocco in Feb

Options
  • 27-01-2011 8:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

Just got a flight to Agadir there with Aerlingus for 220euro, including all the ****e they add in and surcharges for boards, from Feb 19-26th. I think its a savage price.

Anyway its my first time going and Id like the advice of others that have been. I want to do it on my own and not use a camp, so can anyone recommend cheap accomodation in Taghazout as I'll base myself there the first day or two.

Is it also worth my while renting a car for a few days and driving the coast exploring, or is 7 days too short a time frame? The last thing I want to do is waste a couple of days driving around to find nothing.

Do the waves work through the tides or is it like here where spots often only work for 2-3 hours?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭OldGuysRule

Great selection of waves in that area, you will something there at all times of the tide. If you want to base your self in the village, there are loads of waves in walking distance, but there are some nice waves within driving distance if you are set on renting a car. If you have not driven there before, be warned, it is well dodgy on the roads and there are many stories of corrupt cops pulling in rental cars / tourists on ridiculous issues to be settled with a 'fine'.

I will be there in a little over a week's time, a little further north though. Can't wait, have not been there for a few years now and looking forward to the warmer waters.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Rossdoc81

Oldguysrule, can you give me any more info? PM me if you don't want to post it here. Im not set on renting a car but I hear the crowds round Taghazout can be fairly heavy so it was basically a way of getting away from the crowds.

My perfect setup would probably be a fairly untouristed town with a decent right point that I can surf twice a day for a week without the crowds. Id love to explore the coast but I know this can mean alot of wasted time driving if you don't have a guide.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

Rossdoc81 wrote: »

My perfect setup would probably be a fairly untouristed town with a decent right point that I can surf twice a day for a week without the crowds.

I think you need to die and go to heaven to find this these days.

Imsouane is the place for you. Nice long righthand point, couple of bigger reefs breaks next door and a partially protected bay with lots of beachies. It is a little less than an hour north of T'zhoute. All in, about hour and half north of Agadir, I reckon

Google it in images and google earth, there is at least one hostel there, right on the headland, Kahina I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Kitiara

Imsouane is very crowded and doesn't always work.Been up there twice in december, never anything. A lot of close outs. best guess for me is play it by ear. In tagahazout, you're close to the breaks, Boilers and Anka point often work, but are crowded and can be tricky. But travel along the coast from taghazout towards Immsouane, you'd be able to find something...good luck and enjoy the weather.

• Advertisement

Just back and had as close to a perfect week as possible, warm water, sun, head high surf each day with lonnnnggg peeling rights. Spent the week in Imsouane and could not have asked for more.

That sound deadly. Im heading out next week so hopefully it'll be as good. Is the right at Imsouane a shortbord wave. I surf the right at Easkey the whole time, how does it compare?

The main long right hander in the bay is really a long board wave (so lonnnngg) but there are a fair few heads out on shorter boards most of the time. Inside sections will be ok, there are a couple of nice chunky reefs within 5 to 10 mins walk away.

Just back from Morocco and had a good trip, waves were well overhead for the first 3 days, than last 3 days it was a bit small. Spent most of the time surfing killers and anchors although the crowds at anchor point are crazy wth 60 people in the water at one stage. I would advise people not to use the surf camps. Its better to stay with in the local hotels and eat in the town and give your money to the local people.

Morocco is easy to travel in so you can just get a taxi from the airport to taghazout, and get a room in a hotel when you land there. I got a nice room overlooking hash point for 15 euro a night. You can rent scooters with side racks for 12euro a day so sussing out breaks along the coast is easy and this gives you way more freedom than with a camp. Its also a bit more of an adventure than been ferried around the place with the surfcamps.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭VNP

That sounds class, whats the board rental selection/cost like? is it hard to corner with a 9foot+ board strapped on the side of a scooter:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement