Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any surfer in Galway ?

Options
  • 27-01-2011 8:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 28

Hi everybody!
    I'm Davide I moved in Ireland from Italy to study English.
    On 1th of February I'm moving in Galway till August, I know the nearest place to surfing is Lahinch but my uses a lot of gas.
    Is there any surfer in Galway disposed to share the trip ?
    Do you know another way to reach Lahinch bringing the board ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Hi Davide, welcome.

Unfortunately your options are limited. Galway to Lahinch is a pain to drive, there are no buses that I know of. You might consider going to Fanore in north Clare, which is marginally closer. Its a nice drive and a nice beach although the quality of the surf generally isn't excellent.

You also have the option of driving or taking a bus to Sligo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 davidino

Thanks for the repply.
    I have another question,
    is there anyone who knows the good sea condition for Lahinch ? I mean direction of wind and swell.

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭learnerplates

No, nothing near Galway city, Lahinch is 1.5 hrs drive be car.

have a look here
    http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=20302815543
    there hasn't been much activity of late but it might spark up again this year if someone organises some outings. Might be useful for lifts to surfspots.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Brandog

Hi Davide,
    There is a bus that runs from Galway to Ennis,then you change for one to lahinch.If i remember there's only 1 or 2 per day and the times aint that great.Measured against fuel costs i'm not sure if it's any better.This should answer some of your questions: http://www.beachwizard.com/beach.asp?country=Ireland&beachid=2000

Brandog wrote: »
    Hi Davide,
    There is a bus that runs from Galway to Ennis,then you change for one to lahinch.If i remember there's only 1 or 2 per day and the times aint that great.Measured against fuel costs i'm not sure if it's any better.This should answer some of your questions: http://www.beachwizard.com/beach.asp?country=Ireland&beachid=2000

Thanks a milion for the info.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭AnonymousPrime

davidino wrote: »
    Thanks for the repply.
    I have another question,
    is there anyone who knows the good sea condition for Lahinch ? I mean direction of wind and swell.

http://www.beachwizard.com/beach.asp?country=Ireland&beachid=2000

Fanore works on similar conditions but is generally smaller

thanks for all information, this week I'll go to lahinch to see with my eyes how is that place.
    Do you know some place to sleep ? I mean cheap place, I have just found an hostel from 15/17.
    I have another question more important, which is the best day for this week ? I saw the forecast and Magicseaweed suggest Thursday and Friday (6 meters) but if I check the full sweel breakdown the waves of both of this day are made by wind. Instead the waves of Saturday and Monday are made by sweel (3/4 meters). Is the week-end the best ?
    I know the height of the waves won't these but how much is the difference ?
    Thanks to everyone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭FlashD

Hi,

Yes, there is a hostel there but I have never stayed.

I checked that magic seaweed forecast myself. It looks to me like SUnday is best, less wind and maybe swinging offshore. WInd is the biggest problem in Ireland.

Check this website for webcam and conditions in Lahinch.

www.lahinchsurfshop.com

I'm surprised nobody has offered you a lift from Galway. There will be surfers heading to Lahinch on the weekend. Maybe you could also try the following websites. Hope this helps.

www.longboardireland.com

www.irishsurfer.com

:)

FlashD wrote: »
    Hi,

Yes, there is a hostel there but I have never stayed.

I checked that magic seaweed forecast myself. It looks to me like SUnday is best, less wind and maybe swinging offshore. WInd is the biggest problem in Ireland.

Check this website for webcam and conditions in Lahinch.

www.lahinchsurfshop.com

I'm surprised nobody has offered you a lift from Galway. There will be surfers heading to Lahinch on the weekend. Maybe you could also try the following websites. Hope this helps.

www.longboardireland.com

www.irishsurfer.com

:)

I search a lift or other people who want to share my car, but isn't very important, this week I'm going to see where the beach is and maybe the next times I'll go there by bus.

So do I have to see the waves by sweel not by wind ?

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭shgavman

I'll give you a shout when I'm going to Lahinch from Galway next.

• Advertisement

shgavman wrote: »
    I'll give you a shout when I'm going to Lahinch from Galway next.

Great !

I'm going to Lahinch tomorrow till Sundey afternoon, if you slip down give me a ring.

My contact are

inzaghi.davide@gmail.com

What time were you thinking on heading down? I think that the swell might be too big for me tomorrow. I'm a beginner. Maybe you or somebody else could advise if 13 ft swell in Lahinch would is too big for a noobster.

What time were you thinking on heading down? I think that the swell might be too big for me tomorrow. I'm a beginner. Maybe you or somebody else could advise if 13 ft swell in Lahinch would is too big for a noobster.

I'm a beginner too but i don't think there will be 13 ft. I would like to be there at 11-12 am, it's my first time in Lahinch i need time check where sleep.

I'm just basing this on MS forecast:

http://magicseaweed.com/Lahinch-Surf-Report/52/

Think I might head down after the Ireland-Italy game and just pitch a tent somewhere. The swell's a bit more beginner friendly and hopefully this nasty wind will have died down.

I'm just basing this on MS forecast:

http://magicseaweed.com/Lahinch-Surf-Report/52/

Think I might head down after the Ireland-Italy game and just pitch a tent somewhere. The swell's a bit more beginner friendly and hopefully this nasty wind will have died down.

Unfortunately I'm not organized for camping, I've find an hostel form 17 euro. Text me when you are on the beach.
    See you later .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 W00LEY

Hi,

I am heading to Lahinch on Wednesday. If your free and need a lift 0868472788.

John

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Jomob

Think I might head down after the Ireland-Italy game and just pitch a tent somewhere.
    you didnt actually sleep in a tent this weekend at lahinch did ya?

W00LEY wrote: »
    Hi,

I am heading to Lahinch on Wednesday. If your free and need a lift 0868472788.

John

Are you going to go and return the same day ? If so I'm very interested.
    Do you have a roof rack for putting the board ?.
    Maybe there is another person interested in trying surfing, can she enjoy with us ?
    Thanks

Jomob wrote: »
    you didnt actually sleep in a tent this weekend at lahinch did ya?

I didn't...I went to Dublin and got drunk...sorry David. Another time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭luisspellcast

hei there

in galway too - i would be interested in sharing travel costs to go surf but i'm restricted to weekends - i've no problems going the day before and stay at some place and surf early in the morning

i've no roof-racks (yet) since i'm a bodyboarder - but my surfboard should arrive in the next week (or maybe the other given the paddy's day and whatnot)

to be very honest, i'm really lazy to drive so i would rather give money for petrol

isn't there any club or association organizing trips ? i would help

• Advertisement
Advertisement