Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nephin, where to park and which route up it?

Options
  • 27-01-2011 8:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭

Hi, me and a few friends are trying to keep out new years resolution going and are going to climb Nephin on Monday morning, would any or you have an idea of where would be the best place around it to park our car when we go their and also which side is the best to go up?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭captainwang

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

See here as well......

http://towns.mayo-ireland.ie/webx?14@@.ee7b86d

Go at it from the Castlebar side as it is not as steep....use the directions provided and watch out for the dogs at the farmers house! You should be fine as I think they make more noise than anything.

It will be very cold on top so wear layers and make sure you have hats, scarf's & gloves etc. I climbed it in August on a powerful, hot sunny day and it was freezin at the top.

Hardy weather for it but great feeling reaching the top.

Best of luck.....

Post some photos of the views if you can.....

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Connacht

I would suggest you climb Nephin not from the S or W, as is usually advised, but from the N.
    Climbing from the S or W is a long and generally quite dreary trudge. Climbing from the N ir steeper, not so long and more interesting, IMO. Driving to Lahardane from S, go thru the village and take the first left as you leave the village. About 1 km down the bóithrín there is a layby on the right to park. Opposite, there is a forest track that heads up through forest. PM me for details with your mobile no if you want to choose this route, so I can call you and give you directions on what to do from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭neiphin

you can drive up that forest road, hop a fence , fight your way through 100yrds of forest, and your away

p.s. i should know, hence the name

• Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

Have climbed it myself ( many years ago, now that i think back:eek: ) We took the northern route, altough shorter its a lot steeper. Good luck and enjoy the views, please post some photo's here if ya can:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭alex73

Unlike Croagh Patrick. Nephin has no real official way of access I believe. There is a road up part of the way, right of way on private land, but there isn't a official car park an not amenities at all. I suppose its nice to have unspoilt wilderness. but it could be a tourist attraction

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭royster999

How does the climb compare with Croagh Patrick ?

Is there any private land you have to pass through to reach the top ?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

royster999 wrote: »
    How does the climb compare with Croagh Patrick ?

Is there any private land you have to pass through to reach the top ?

Mod Note: Royster999 please don't open up old threads, I will leave it for now but threads over 6 months shouldn't be opened.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Connacht

See my reply from 2011 above.
    I advise the more interesting but steeper way up from the north side, up along the edge of the giant northern corrie.
    Just before the end of the forest track I refer to, you turn right, cross a little fence and walk thru 400m of plantation forest, cross another fence and then you're on open bog.
    Comparing to the Reek is subjective. I've done the reek 15ish times and don't intend ever doing it again. I've done Nephin 20ish times and will do it many times more I hope.:)

Advertisement